2020 Tour de France

pista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Sam Bennett. Finally the pressure is off. Sagans lack of grace at the finish tells you all you need to know. He's not as strong as his publicity machine.

Ewan may win tomorrow. Doesn't matter. I don't see him finishing this tour.

The green jersey is still undecided.

Doug Ryder was interviewed on the Cycling Podcast, and said that Riis doesn’t know much about sprinting and is better at the GC tactics.

I assumed Mr 60% knew more about "preparation" than tactics of any kind.

Think Riis wants to take over the team and have 100% ownership 

But he still hasn't paid for the stake he was supposed to when joining. That's half the reason the team may be without a sponsor next year.

What astounds me is how Roglic and Pogacar come from Slovenia and Sagan Slovakia.... So 3 top top top tier cyclists from a region with the same number of people you will find in Century City on the weekend.

Pretty awesome really considering there are still Mahoric and Polanc as well as several other Slovenians with slightly less Slovaks.

Seriously impressive numbers per capita

What astounds me is how Roglic and Pogacar come from Slovenia and Sagan Slovakia.... So 3 top top top tier cyclists from a region with the same number of people you will find in Century City on the weekend.

Pretty awesome really considering there are still Mahoric and Polanc as well as several other Slovenians with slightly less Slovaks.

Slovenia neighbors NE Italy, a very mountainous area and rich in cycling heritage. Being part of the EU means that border controls and visas are minimal hence they might as well be Italians  :clap:

Edited by coppi

I was so happy for Bennett. I was thrilled for him, and in the interview, I admit to tearing up as well. We all face constant battles for something, and his battle was clearly massive. Kudos for sticking with it Sam! Now, do it again today!

Way off topic - but speaking of tiny Eastern European countries punching above their weight, my best is Montenegro which has a population of what ..50.. and has one of the best water polo teams in the world. 

Sorry, as you were..

I was so happy for Bennett. I was thrilled for him, and in the interview, I admit to tearing up as well. We all face constant battles for something, and his battle was clearly massive. Kudos for sticking with it Sam! Now, do it again today!

The Viking had a similar interview after winning stage 1.

He remarked that at 33, with 4 kids, he is relieved to still be able to win races.

Slovenia neighbors NE Italy, a very mountainous area and rich in cycling heritage. Being part of the EU means that border controls and visas are minimal hence they might as well be Italians  :clap:

Although they are Slavic- different culture.

Wiki:

"Slovene is an Indo-European language belonging to the Western subgroup of the South Slavic branch of the Slavic languages, together with Serbo-Croatian. It is close to the Chakavian and especially Kajkavian dialects of Serbo-Croatian, but further from the Shtokavian dialect, the basis for the Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, and Serbian standard languages.[14] Furthermore, Slovene shares certain linguistic characteristics with all South Slavic languages, including those of the Eastern subgroup, such as Bulgarian.

Mutual intelligibility with varieties of Serbo-Croatian is hindered by differences in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, Kajkavian being the most mutually intelligible. The Slovene language has many commonalities with the West Slavic languages."

I wonder what that the most popular second language is there? Italian? Serbian? English? Russian?

Wiki:

The official and national language of Slovenia is Slovene, which is spoken by a large majority of the population. It is also known, in English, as Slovenian. Two minority languages, namely Hungarian and Italian, are recognised as co-official languages and accordingly protected in their residential municipalities.

Edited by kosmonooit

Ewan should have walked that, he seemed to leave it 25m too late

nah I think he's done for the tour. He's not a strong enough climber so I reckon the edge he had in week 1 is gone.