[Event] MEDIHELP Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2020

Starchboy

Again, I don't get the angst over the weather conditions.

You race what's in front of you when it's in front of you. Especially on the road.

If it's hot, drink more. If it's windy, make sure you're near the front of the group.

Worrying or fussing over something beyond your control seems like a waste of time and ebergy.

I will be there starting with those on 1987 racers, flat pedals and white tekkies. Looking forward to it, no matter what the wind is or isn't doing.  :blush:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You race what's in front of you when it's in front of you. Especially on the road.

You have to consider the wind if you want to run 50mm deep sections or more. If it's going to be strong gusty cross winds you are going to be a danger to yourself and the guys around you in your group.

Especially in my case where I've had the new wheels for only a week with around 5 rides. Only one of those rides were in the wind that felt a bit dodgy, like a kite, going over 50kmh on the donwhills, and on the flats when it's gusting crosswind. In a group I would've taken out the guy next to me. 

So no, you can't just race what's in front of you. Especially on the road.

On a MTB you race what's in front of you come rain, hail, wind or sunshine (Like the 2019 K2C).

If it's hot, drink more. If it's windy, make sure you're near the front of the group.

Worrying or fussing over something beyond your control seems like a waste of time and ebergy.

I will be there starting with those on 1987 racers, flat pedals and white tekkies. Looking forward to it, no matter what the wind is or isn't doing.  :blush:

lot of people wait to enter till last minute not to waste money.  Lots wont enter if looks windy or rainy.

You have to consider the wind if you want to run 50mm deep sections or more. If it's going to be strong gusty cross winds you are going to be a danger to yourself and the guys around you in your group.

Especially in my case where I've had the new wheels for only a week with around 5 rides. Only one of those rides were in the wind that felt a bit dodgy, like a kite, going over 50kmh on the donwhills, and on the flats when it's gusting crosswind. In a group I would've taken out the guy next to me. 

So no, you can't just race what's in front of you. Especially on the road.

On a MTB you race what's in front of you come rain, hail, wind or sunshine (Like the 2019 K2C).

So would you not make a call on the morning?

I have had to make the deep section call plenty of times at IM and other events in the past.

I don't understand the fuss. You get up in the morning, you see what the weather is doing, you make a call on the kit and you go and ride the race.

That is a far more accurate way than looking 6 days ahead at notveryAccuweather and starting to umm and ah.

But anyway, like I said, this is already too much 'what if' for me.

See you guys on Sunday. It is promising to be a really fun day out.

lot of people wait to enter till last minute not to waste money.  Lots wont enter if looks windy or rainy.

Too late... entries closed yesterday?

I don't get the angst about other people getting the angst.

So would you not make a call on the morning?

I have had to make the deep section call plenty of times at IM and other events in the past.

I don't understand the fuss. You get up in the morning, you see what the weather is doing, you make a call on the kit and you go and ride the race.

That is a far more accurate way than looking 6 days ahead at notveryAccuweather and starting to umm and ah.

But anyway, like I said, this is already too much 'what if' for me.

See you guys on Sunday. It is promising to be a really fun day out.

Oh ja, I fully agree with you there! Still making the call the morning before the race isn't quite "racing what's in front of you".. It sounded like you meant it like you'd pitch up with your kortbroek en plakkies no matter if it's raining outside.

Six days ahead will never be accurate, two days still not but at least closer, but what would we talk about here on the forum if we can't speculate a bit over the weather?

If the forecast (including the gust prediction is correct), it might mean that motor vehicles from the front will have to pass the cyclist on opposite side of the R44 road for that section from windmeul into klapmuts.  

If the forecast (including the gust prediction is correct), it might mean that motor vehicles from the front will have to pass the cyclist on opposite side of the R44 road for that section from windmeul into klapmuts.  

So ops normal   :ph34r:  :ph34r:

That's why I watch the wind prediction for this race. It really caused chaos last year with the echelons moving completely over into the oncoming lane.  The race commissaire of my group was so irate he pulled his car to a screeching stop in front of the speeding peloton. He did this more than once. 

I don't get the angst about other people getting the angst.

How else can they bring up that they are as hard as nails and drink cement for breakfast? 

Not to mention their previous Epics, Mungas and IMs in the bag....

So entries closed yesterday, number collection starts tomorrow, yet still no seedings sent out

On facebook they mentioned it should go out today