[Event] MEDIHELP Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2020

Starchboy

you know the "proper" route goes up old hels   :whistling:

Correct, but that bird has flown, so now "new" Hels is the proper route. :whistling:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, but that bird has flown, so now "new" Hels is the proper route. :whistling:

I am sure with a bit of spit & polish the old pass will still be doable on a road cycle  :ph34r:

But yes, that bird has flown

Not sure want to get dropped due to the mince pie consumption in December on Hells, so will probably drop back and ride with Oleg. Its such a lekker route though!

Don't you find bikehub more quiet in general? Not sure it's coincidence but seems like it's since they redesigned it. I noticed they even removed the counter in the footer for number of users online.

I have found a lot of the event threads very silent nowdays. Even if you look at the most active threads now, its very few cycling or cycling related events. Maybe everyone on the hub now knows how racetec seeding works and what seeding group in the argus will probably get sub 3. 

I have found a lot of the event threads very silent nowdays. Even if you look at the most active threads now, its very few cycling or cycling related events. Maybe everyone on the hub now knows how racetec seeding works and what seeding group in the argus will probably get sub 3. 

Maybe race organisers need to follow the lead of the "Big 5 MTB Challenge" and reward some bikehub "influencers" with free entries to get a vibe going on their event thread? 

Maybe race organisers need to follow the lead of the "Big 5 MTB Challenge" and reward some bikehub "influencers" with free entries to get a vibe going on their event thread? 

ha ha, interesting to see what race organisers do.

Did the original not start in Bellville?

I was just looking at an old photo yesterday from 2003 and Burger started in Bellville, Carl Cronje drive if I'm not mistaken and somewhere the route went up and over Vissershok.

you know the "proper" route goes up old hels   :whistling:

don't think we'll ever see the old hels on anything again, the giro del capo with ~7 circuits of old hels was the bomb.

The olde route for  Die Burger Sanlam was north durbanville and started with vissershoek to smash your cold legs.

It originally was the Sanlam burger and started at Sanlam.

Here is an article we did on the Burger in 2017: 

https://puresavage.co.za/2017/10/road-cycling-in-the-western-cape.html/

Just an interesting titbit I heard from one of the old organisers - for a few years when Die Burger still had the huge numbers the organisers tried very hard to get full road closures for the race. At the time it was the biggest cycle event in the country after the Argus & 94.7

The Stellenbosch & Paarl authorities flat-out refused. In my mind this was a massive opportunity lost for the cycling community (probably for good) and caused the event to stagnate and decline.

Unfortunately there is now almost nothing that distinguish this race from the rest of the road events leading up to the CTCT, it is just another event on roads we race often, maybe still just slightly bigger.

I am still hoping they move this back to December -will give road cyclists something to work towards at the end of each year before the holidays (other than the DC) and not just another warm-up ride for the CTCT.

Edited by Skubarra

Just an interesting titbit I heard from one of the old organisers - for a few years when Die Burger still had the huge numbers the organisers tried very hard to get full road closures for the race. At the time it was the biggest cycle event in the country after the Argus & 94.7

The Stellenbosch & Paarl authorities flat-out refused. In my mind this was a massive opportunity lost for the cycling community (probably for good) and caused the event to stagnate and decline.

Unfortunately there is now almost nothing that distinguish this race from the rest of the road events leading up to the CTCT, it is just another event on roads we race often, maybe still just slightly bigger.

I am still hoping they move this back to December -will give road cyclists something to work towards at the end of each year before the holidays (other than the DC) and not just another warm-up ride for the CTCT.

I need 6 weeks to recover from DC so Jan works out well!!  :clap:  :clap:

I personally think there needs to be another team based ride in CT, something on an old DC route in Ceres or something. Maybe I should just stick to organizing this years TDB