The toolbox thread

100Tours

So, I didn't tell my wife I was going to a tool shop and left home with only set amount of cash. Thank goodness I left the card at home.

Teng Tools are some of the best quality I have seen - honestly. IMO it looks better than Gedore. And it's red. So you must be working faster too?

Teng Tools are more geared towards the automotive world, but there are tools I would buy. I am looking at tools from my perspective and hobbies/occupation - self employed plumber, working on MTB's general DIY. And there tools that us cyclists would use. The hex key and torq key sets are very good - and very good priced.

And yes, they are some of the tools that are expensive, but if you are the person who looking to buy tools once and never again, this is it. The previous pics from Zebra, is exactly what the shop looks like. But there are also another shop in Parow, right next to Craigs Motorcycles, 73 Voortrekker Road, so if you are coming from the Northern Suburbs of CT, you don't have to go all the way to Paarden Island.

Jip, interesting range of tools ....

Clearly full set of normal tools any mechie might need.

Some very nice pneumatic and impact tools.

And then a set of dedicated screwdrivers and wire strippers for serious electricians .....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this new Gedore Red like? Always been a fan...

Also had the massive issue of leaving home and not having access to the old mans workshop. 10 years later he comes to borrow tools from me now so it is a win win all round haha

Saw it at our local hardware store over the weekend.  I have known the manager of the tools section for way tooooo long  :whistling:

He said that "Gedore Red" is aimed at the more affordable tools market ....  NOT the cheapest in their shop by a long shot, but certainly not the "Gedore" we grew up with ....

I bought what I needed in "Ingo"

Some nice items in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28B4ZUTYeKs

Topeak Mini Ratchet Tool

Chain Wear Checker

Digital Caliper

Park Tool Spoke Tension meter

Park Tool Wheel Holder

IXS Zipper Knee Pad

Wera Hex Keys with bolt holding feature

Very few things I despise as much as a digital caliper. Whenever you actually need it, the battery will be flat.

Would much rather have the purely mechanical sliding scale version.

Very few things I despise as much as a digital caliper. Whenever you actually need it, the battery will be flat.

Would much rather have the purely mechanical sliding scale version.

Thanks, good observation ....

With my "short arms" I find myself standing under the best light to read the vernier with all four eyes ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

was thinking of getting a digital unit .... 

With my "short arms" I find myself standing under the best light to read the vernier with all four eyes .... :whistling: :ph34r:

If you do go digital, just stock up on those batteries and tape one to the caliper, sorted. ;)

Very important tool . For weekend repairs.

I bought new flip-flops (plakkies) today, and there was a pair with a built in bottle opener. I considered it for a moment, but then I remembered that I open my beer with my wedding ring.

So, I didn't tell my wife I was going to a tool shop and left home with only set amount of cash. Thank goodness I left the card at home.

Teng Tools are some of the best quality I have seen - honestly. IMO it looks better than Gedore. And it's red. So you must be working faster too?

Teng Tools are more geared towards the automotive world, but there are tools I would buy. I am looking at tools from my perspective and hobbies/occupation - self employed plumber, working on MTB's general DIY. And there tools that us cyclists would use. The hex key and torq key sets are very good - and very good priced.

And yes, they are some of the tools that are expensive, but if you are the person who looking to buy tools once and never again, this is it. The previous pics from Zebra, is exactly what the shop looks like. But there are also another shop in Parow, right next to Craigs Motorcycles, 73 Voortrekker Road, so if you are coming from the Northern Suburbs of CT, you don't have to go all the way to Paarden Island.

Glad you enjoyed the Store; yes, Paarden Eiland is a ‘branch’ of Goodwood/Tool Imports, but focussing 95% on TENG, whereas the other store is multi- brand....Ian, Manager at P Eilandstore (co-owner,I suspect) has agreed to stock non-TENG items, for example he will now stock....Spinners!!!

..., and other REQUESTED products. But good observation about Goodwood store...

Edited by Zebra

Called TENG, neither their shop nor Tool Imports on Voortrekker Rd Goodwood have stock, and they cannot GET stock; they suggest you try Snap On: Russell ‘Kiwi’ Taylor is the guy to call : 082 922 5444; be aware he sells into Retail, not to public, but can advise where to purchase...

Then Bronwyn Buxey: WURTH Tools, 082 774 7635: their JIS screwdrivers are called PH2: 3 lengths avail: 25mm, 100mm and 445(!) mm, be aware Wurth sell into Retailers, and not to the public.

Shout if you need help, we have accounts with both...

Anywhere in Pretoria/joburg I can go look at Teng?

Anywhere in Pretoria/joburg I can go look at Teng?

Reseller: Monster Auto

25 Kambathi Street, N4 Industrial gateway park

Pretoria,

With my "short arms" I find myself standing under the best light to read the vernier with all four eyes .... :whistling: :ph34r:

If you are are really worried about the digital vernier batteries going flat you could also get a dial gauge vernier, no batteries to go flat and a little easier to read for the visually impaired, having said that, we have digital verniers and the batteries last forever, at least 3-4years, so....

If you are are really worried about the digital vernier batteries going flat you could also get a dial gauge vernier, no batteries to go flat and a little easier to read for the visually impaired, having said that, we have digital verniers and the batteries last forever, at least 3-4years, so....

+1 on batteries lasting 3 years plus nin our workshop...light usage...

Chris