The toolbox thread

100Tours

So I have to ask you guys in the know, when it comes to cordless drills etc, what is the difference between a drill and an impact driver? I want to get one soon, mainly for screws and things, but not sure which I should get, I already have a corded drill with hammer function for the "heavy duty" drilling, but what is better between the impact drill and normal cordless drills? Some impact drills I can see have a hex drive, but others look like they have normal chucks, very confusing.

I've recently done the research

Impact drill does not equal impact driver, they are 2 different things.

If its main purpose is going to be driving screws then you want an impact driver. It drives the screw kind of like an air driver, so its not applying continous torque but rather short rapid burst of torque, apparently so much easier and so much more powerful than a normal driver

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have to ask you guys in the know, when it comes to cordless drills etc, what is the difference between a drill and an impact driver? I want to get one soon, mainly for screws and things, but not sure which I should get, I already have a corded drill with hammer function for the "heavy duty" drilling, but what is better between the impact drill and normal cordless drills? Some impact drills I can see have a hex drive, but others look like they have normal chucks, very confusing.

I also wonder about this.

The Impact Drill hex drive means I won't be able to use it with normal drill bits if I need to do a quick job in wood, plastic  or something else.

I would rather go for one with a normal chuck. You can always insert the hex bit receiver thingy to allow you the quick swap-out of bits when doing screws.

post-27827-0-27467800-1615271579_thumb.png

Easy bike has the gun for R199, very good price:

https://www.easybike.co.za/finish-line-grease-gun.html

I have the Pedro's one which is pretty much the same, advantage over a syringe is you can pump the grease at far greater pressure and it's easier on the hands.

But that being said a syringe does work really well though.

The bigger the problem, the bigger the syringe. What also works with the syringe is cutting a little off the tip to increase the flow rate if needed.

The problem is that there are many different manufacturers using different descriptions and terminology.

Basically you get the following types of cordless drills/drivers.

1. The cordless screwdriver is the most basic tool and does not turn fast enough to drill effectively. It is normally only adapted to take hex bits. I have seen some drill bits manufactured with a hex adapter which could be used to drill but the limiting factor is the  rotational speed of the tool.
  2. Then you get cordless drills that can also function as a screw driver. It has a drill chuck to accommodate drill bits but one can also clamp hex bits and quick change couplers. It will also have two speed settings, one for drilling and one for driving screws. Lastly it will normally have the ability (a clutch) to adjust the tension/force that screws are tightened, allowing it to slip at the set value.
  3. One step up are drills with a selectable hammer drill function. It normally has all of the functions of 2 above plus the ability to select a hammer function for drilling into brick, concrete etc. This is sometimes referred to as an impact drill.
  4. Next you get a rotary hammer. It normally has two or perhaps three settings. One a normal drill function, one a rotary hammer drill function (which is a substantially heavier hammer function than with the hammer drill function that no2 has, hence the name rotary hammer) and possibly a hammer only function to take chisels. It will have a SDS or SDS plus chuck. A rotary hammer is much more robust and stronger than a drill with hammer function. I have not seen one that can be used as a screwdriver but I may be mistaken. A pure rotary hammer cannot be used as a screwdriver.
  5. An impact driver is mostly intended to drive bolts and nuts. It normally has a square socket adapter instead of a chuck. I have seen adapter sizes ranging from 1/4 inch all the way to 1 inch. An impact driver can remove and tighten bolts and nuts too much higher torque values than a cordless drill/driver. It can also be used to release and tighten screws and you get specific bits made of high carbon steel for this purpose. The impact driver sockets that one should use are also high carbon steel designed to handle the powerful blows that the impact driver delivers. An impact driver can tighten and release to surprisingly high toque values of several hundred Newton Meters, depending on the model of course. A true impact driver is not suitable for drilling. In my opinion and experience one should not tighten anything using an impact driver. It is very easy to exceed the torque values of the bolts, nuts or screws you are tightening. If it is a critical torque value that is demanded then a torque wrench should rather be used.

There may be hybrids of the above but these are the main categories as I see them.

In my somewhat biased view you need one of each and then sometimes more than one of each. :thumbup:

As a first drill, a drill/driver with a hammer drill function (no 3) is probably best. As with everything else try and buy the best you can afford.

Edited by Mars1967

The problem is that there are many different manufacturers using different descriptions and terminology.

Basically you get the following types of cordless drills/drivers.

• The cordless screwdriver is the most basic tool and does not turn fast enough to drill effectively. It is normally only adapted to take hex bits. I have seen some drill bits manufactured with a hex adapter which could be used to drill but the limiting factor is the rotational speed of the tool.
  • Then you get cordless drills that can also function as a screw driver. It has a drill chuck to accommodate drill bits but one can also clamp hex bits and quick change couplers. It will also have two speed settings, one for drilling and one for driving screws. Lastly it will normally have the ability (a clutch) to adjust the tension/force that screws are tightened, allowing it to slip at the set value.
  • One step up are drills with a selectable hammer drill function. It normally has all of the functions of 2 above plus the ability to select a hammer function for drilling into brick, concrete etc. This is sometimes referred to as an impact drill.
  • Next you get a rotary hammer. It normally has two or perhaps three settings. One a normal drill function, one a rotary hammer drill function (which is a substantially heavier hammer function than with the hammer drill function that no2 has, hence the name rotary hammer) and possibly a hammer only function to take chisels. It will have a SDS or SDS plus chuck. A rotary hammer is much more robust and stronger than a drill with hammer function. I have not seen one that can be used as a screwdriver but I may be mistaken. A pure rotary hammer cannot be used as a screwdriver.
  • An impact driver is mostly intended to drive bolts and nuts. It normally has a square socket adapter instead of a chuck. I have seen adapter sizes ranging from 1/4 inch all the way to 1 inch. An impact driver can remove and tighten bolts and nuts too much higher torque values than a cordless drill/driver. It can also be used to release and tighten screws and you get specific bits made of high carbon steel for this purpose. The impact driver sockets that one should use are also high carbon steel designed to handle the powerful blows that the impact driver delivers. An impact driver can tighten and release to surprisingly high toque values of several hundred Newton Meters, depending on the model of course. A true impact driver is not suitable for drilling. In my opinion and experience one should not tighten anything using an impact driver. It is very easy to exceed the torque values of the bolts, nuts or screws you are tightening. If it is a critical torque value that is demanded then a torque wrench should rather be used.
There may be hybrids of the above but these are the main categories as I see them.

In my somewhat biased view you need one of each and then sometimes more than one of each. :thumbup:

As a first drill, a drill/driver with a hammer drill function (no 3) is probably best. As with everything else try and buy the best you can afford.

Thanks, that was far more detailed than I was expecting from anyone, and honestly, a little confusing, haha

I think I am going to give one of these from Adendorff a whirl, pretty cheap, and we use a lot of Adendorffs stuff and it normally pretty decent quality, worth a shot I guess....

post-140742-0-52124300-1615283836_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that was far more detailed than I was expecting from anyone, and honestly, a little confusing, haha

I think I am going to give one of these from Adendorff a whirl, pretty cheap, and we use a lot of Adendorffs stuff and it normally pretty decent quality, worth a shot I guess....

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210309_115314_com.android.chrome.jpg

That is an electric drill with impact function for masonry drilling.

To expand on what Mars and I said.

With a normal electric screwdriver / drill giving constant torque there is a greater chance of the driver bit slipping off the screw head, with an impact driver this is hugely reduced. 

That is precisely the type of drill/driver that I would suggest for a starter. I have had good results with Adendorff tools in terms of value for money. The drill will be made in one of the many factories in China making cordless tools, both to supply to brand products and under their own names. Batteries can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. Some Li-ion batteries from China are decent and some are horrendous.

Anyway the drill should come with a warranty.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210309_115314_com.android.chrome.jpg

Unless you need to drill lots of large holes or into concrete an impact driver wins hands down. You do get drill bits with hex shafts to use in impact drivers, I have a few and they work great.

For me the only negative with an impact driver is the noise, the impacts make a very loud tack-tack-tack sound but that's the only drawback.

From what I have read the Ingco are one of the best budget brands.

Bosch has dropped their cordless drill prices so much lately if you look for specials, often at Makro and Builders, you can get Bosch blue for just about that price and Bosch knocks Ingco out the park.

That is precisely the type of drill/driver that I would suggest for a starter. I have had good results with Adendorff tools in terms of value for money. The drill will be made in one of the many factories in China making cordless tools, both to supply to brand products and under their own names. Batteries can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. Some Li-ion batteries from China are decent and some are horrendous.

Anyway the drill should come with a warranty.

There are also these 2 on Takealot, of the 3, which would you recommend?

Check this out on takealot: Ryobi - Cordless Driver Drill Kit - 18V Li-Ion

https://www.takealot.com/ryobi-cordless-driver-drill-kit-18v-li-ion/PLID52753416

Check this out on takealot: Ryobi - Cordless Drill 10mm - 18V Li-Ion

https://www.takealot.com/ryobi-cordless-drill-10mm-18v-li-ion/PLID52753409

^^^^^^

Bosch over Ryobi

Same unit is available at the same price from thehubs favourite Topdogtoolshop

Just check if the kit/special includes 1 or 2 batteries.