The toolbox thread

100Tours

Here is my “I’m tired of tripping over my stand setup.

Had a friend hone and turn the upright to fit my park tool clamp on it.

Able to have the bike move 1.4m vertically. So BB at chest height to bike wheels on the floor.

Clamp can swing 360 deg in both planes.

Arm can swing 160 deg allowing me to move bike from work area to work Bench or swing arm out the way against a wall.

Arm has an adjustable 1.5m reach.

817c87baca56ee30acbe0df17bead156.jpg

080714da0d91bcf22bed53980104408b.jpg

f360e4cf8f3b940b11f756e662b19bed.jpg

5be4666977fd8dfc766a576068b1fee6.jpg

looks great[emoji106]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All Drillbits are not created equal.

I got some metal drill bits with one of those R250 kits you buy in a case, no-name. They are only good for plastics.

The 6mm masonry bit got replaced long ago, think it lasted for two holes. The proper masonry bit I have now is still holding steady after many jobs.

What do you guys recommend looking out for when shopping for metal drill bits? What brand or terminology should I look for?

Will mainly be used on normal "Mild Steel" for constructions around the house.

I got some metal drill bits with one of those R250 kits you buy in a case, no-name. They are only good for plastics.

The 6mm masonry bit got replaced long ago, think it lasted for two holes. The proper masonry bit I have now is still holding steady after many jobs.

What do you guys recommend looking out for when shopping for metal drill bits? What brand or terminology should I look for?

A drill bit is only as good as how it's used. Use the correct speed and drilling lubricant and they'll last longer, overheat it and even the most expensive cobalt bits go bust.

Edit: I'm getting good mileage from my Alpen HSS set. Broken bits are easily replaced. I avoid Tork craft, Eureka and Ruwag if I can.

Edited by stefmeister

A drill bit is only as good as how it's used. Use the correct speed and drilling lubricant and they'll last longer, overheat it and even the most expensive cobalt bits go bust.

Edit: I'm getting good mileage from my Alpen HSS set. Broken bits are easily replaced. I avoid Tork craft, Eureka and Ruwag if I can.

Thanks, I'll have a look

Pretty much anything made by ruwag, expensive as hell tho

Somta is not bad, not sure if you will get them in a KIT, their endmills and slot drills are not top-end but works.

Somta is not bad, not sure if you will get them in a KIT, their endmills and slot drills are not top-end but works.

I don't mind buying one-off for the ones I use allot, so a kit isn't a key requirement.

I don't mind buying one-off for the ones I use allot, so a kit isn't a key requirement.

This is probably the best way forward.

I have AEG and Ryobi impact bit kits, for quick change and odds and ends on wood, plastic, and metals. I then have a 112pc Hitachi/Hikoki kit with all sorts in it for. All fairly decent quality (although I've snapped the 3mm bits in both the AEG and Ryobi sets  :ph34r:  )

8f7e4159-4648-4f43-ae5c-5a13acdc653f.jpgThe Ryobi set retails for about R300 equiv here

e368896b-6d48-42ec-bd32-6b07c1a276f0.jpgThe AEG impact bit set. Also retails for about R300 equiv

60120771---Bits--og-borsett_l.jpg

The Hitachi/Hikoki set. Retails for about R100 equiv, but I bought it with Flybuys (NZ's lame version for eBucks)

But when I need a bit for that's a specific size, or for a special purpose, I go and buy a high quality version of that singular bit.

Like when I had to drill a hole into my Husqvarna 450's frame to mount a rally kit. I got a high quality cobalt bit.

The drilling had to be precise and I was drilling into a very expensive piece of Chro-Mo, so it was worth spending about R320 equiv for 1 good bit.

f2bd0c04-e214-4bc1-b228-9fdc6c937ef6.jpg

As for masonry bits, now that I live in the land where the little pigs build houses out of sticks, I don't think I've used one in years. But in SA I had a Bosch Rotary Hammer drill and I found the Bosch SDS bits to be pretty good. They may make equivalent bits out of the same material for conventional chucks.

At the local hardwarestore they have the cheapies in the shelf. When you ask, they produce the quality stuff from behind the counter.

Cant see the difference with your eyes ... but you SEE it when you start using it.

15 years ago a gold coloured set of bits were launched .... expensive, but very good. Few years ago these became more affordable, and the quality was no more ....

Lets hope somebody has the answers for us

Like these?

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-450mm-1-4-hex-drill-extension-bar_p0056799

Someone in SA must have them. Maybe not Ryobi, but I know Irwin makes them too.

Exactly like that - asked at a local tool store that stocks the Gedore, Tork Craft, Jonesway, Kennedy, MicroTek etc and they said they didn't have, or know of one.

You can use a 1/4" drive but in my case the application has a small opening then a long way (100mm) to go. The socket is too bulky; it can't get though the opening. I can obviously use the long section of an Allen key but it is a bit clumsy as you need to put a spanner on the short end for leverage. Just 4 of the little buggers but they are irritating. The long hex with a little ratchet (I have the Bosch set) would work well.

A too many tools problem.

Purchased this from one of my suppliers R700 excl. vat 5-25NM

from the picture on the box and the shape and material of the box it looks to be the same as the icetoolz one that I have.

Exactly like that - asked at a local tool store that stocks the Gedore, Tork Craft, Jonesway, Kennedy, MicroTek etc and they said they didn't have, or know of one.

You can use a 1/4" drive but in my case the application has a small opening then a long way (100mm) to go. The socket is too bulky; it can't get though the opening. I can obviously use the long section of an Allen key but it is a bit clumsy as you need to put a spanner on the short end for leverage. Just 4 of the little buggers but they are irritating. The long hex with a little ratchet (I have the Bosch set) would work well.

A too many tools problem.

hmmm... I was going to suggest one of the flexibles available at Builder's Warehouse, but with the requirement for decent leverage it may not do the job.

There are options on Aliexpress, but those take anywhere between 2 months - never to be delivered.

BUT wait! There's more!

Seems Gumtree may have what you're looking for!

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-screwdrivers/heathfield/screwdriver-bit-extension-150mm/1008618877560911405748109

... I think I have a problem!

My foray into cycling started with the purchase of some Fox gloves. Initially purchased to keep my mitts a little warmer in winter, these (along with watching some downhill videos) then spurred on the purchase of some Thor goggles, then a full face helmet, finally my first real bike (a Morewood DH bike). Within 5 years of purchasing those gloves I'd had 13 bikes (no more than 5 at a time though, but 7 of them were Morewoods). Fortunately 6 years after that I have calmed down to a manageable 3 MTB's and 2 dirt bikes.

How is this related to the toolbox thread...

Well yesterday I bought a Makita Rapid Charger as it was a great deal. I don't even own any Makita battery-powered tools, or batteries  :ph34r:

That Makita charger is the equivalent of those damn Fox gloves that started it all off! :lol:

Edited by patches

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill and impact driver.  Currently I have the following in my basket at Strand Hardware.  Could not get a better deal at Top Dog Tools or Power Tool Services here in Cape Town.

post-55150-0-06505100-1616159139_thumb.jpg

Anybody here know of a better deal on these tools?  Also, any recommendations on impact bits to get for the impact driver would be great.

Thanks.

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill and impact driver.  Currently I have the following in my basket at Strand Hardware.  Could not get a better deal at Top Dog Tools or Power Tool Services here in Cape Town.

attachicon.gifCart.jpg

Anybody here know of a better deal on these tools?  Also, any recommendations on impact bits to get for the impact driver would be great.

Thanks.

very tough to be Strand hardware on price

I drive to PE far too often to visit them