The toolbox thread

100Tours

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill and impact driver. Currently I have the following in my basket at Strand Hardware. Could not get a better deal at Top Dog Tools or Power Tool Services here in Cape Town.

attachicon.gifCart.jpg

Anybody here know of a better deal on these tools? Also, any recommendations on impact bits to get for the impact driver would be great.

Thanks.

Only advice is to look at the brushless versions of those aren't them. Also if you already have a corded drill for impact drilling into walls I'd choose a drill without impact, they are lighter(easier to hold and manoeuvre) and cheaper.

For impact drilling a cheap corded Sds drill is magic, light years ahead of an impact drill, especially for larger holes or into hard concrete.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday when I packed my toolbox into the trailer for the weekend, I realised that the little box for traveling wil cost more than a little sum of money to replace.

Not too mention the Gedore toolbox and the box toolbox with all the random tools that doesn't travel with me.

I'll need to take stock and go through it. Probably a good idea to update my home contents insurance.

Edited by PhilipV

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill and impact driver.  Currently I have the following in my basket at Strand Hardware.  Could not get a better deal at Top Dog Tools or Power Tool Services here in Cape Town.

attachicon.gifCart.jpg

Anybody here know of a better deal on these tools?  Also, any recommendations on impact bits to get for the impact driver would be great.

Thanks.

I see Strand does a combo kit. Does that work out at a reasonable price, or is it better to buy individually?

post-10758-0-68004200-1616356893_thumb.png

https://www.strandhardware.co.za/makita-impact-driver-and-cordless-drill-combo

I also see it comes with the Makita Makpac case. Great system (almost as good as Festool's Systainers without the need to sell a kidney).

Here in NZ, as impact drivers are hugely popular (with our houses made out of sticks and all) it's quite common to get them in a combo kit with a drill.

My local hardware store has 3 combo options ranging from approx R4075 to R5250 to R9050

post-10758-0-46712200-1616357042_thumb.png

post-10758-0-46390800-1616357061_thumb.png

post-10758-0-25585900-1616357077_thumb.png

I spent way too much time making noise and sawdust this past weekend, but here were a couple of tools that will make life easier..

Digital Angle Finder

post-10758-0-34997000-1616361039_thumb.jpg

I bought it for setting saw blades, but can also use it to check head angles on bikes or that type of thing.

Table Saw Sled

post-10758-0-57764900-1616361324_thumb.jpg

Home made and still a work in progress. I'm trying to pack loads of features into it. More detail on the Woodwork Thread, but yeah should be super handy once done!

Edited by patches

Only advice is to look at the brushless versions of those aren't them. Also if you already have a corded drill for impact drilling into walls I'd choose a drill without impact, they are lighter(easier to hold and manoeuvre) and cheaper.

For impact drilling a cheap corded Sds drill is magic, light years ahead of an impact drill, especially for larger holes or into hard concrete.

I understand that a brushless motor will deliver more power and probably last longer but is it really worth the extra money when you are not a tradesman?  There is a substantial difference in the price of a brushed motor vs a brushless motor.

My corded hammer drill is a cheap Bosch green drill that I bought about 13years ago when I was still in university.  It's got a mind of its own now and only works when I don't need it.  Maybe another cheep hammer drill is an option but I seldom drill holes into concrete bigger than about 8mm.  For bigger stuff I'll get my dads Sds drill. 

I see Strand does a combo kit. Does that work out at a reasonable price, or is it better to buy individually?

attachicon.gifMakita Combo 4.PNG

https://www.strandhardware.co.za/makita-impact-driver-and-cordless-drill-combo

I also see it comes with the Makita Makpac case. Great system (almost as good as Festool's Systainers without the need to sell a kidney).

I phoned them to ask for pricing on this combo kit but was told that they don't do the combo anymore.  Not enough people wanted to buy the combo kits according to them.  Would have been nice to get the Makpac case with the kit. 

I also asked them if they have any impact bit sets that I can order with the impact driver.  Was told that they do not stock them but if I can send him the product number of what I want he can order it for me.  Their price on the bit set I wanted was also the best I could find.

I have this feeling that might just start ordering all my tool related stuff through them if it is as easy as giving them the part number and waiting an extra 2-3 days for them to get it. Hopefully I will have my new toys early next week.

I understand that a brushless motor will deliver more power and probably last longer but is it really worth the extra money when you are not a tradesman? There is a substantial difference in the price of a brushed motor vs a brushless motor.

My corded hammer drill is a cheap Bosch green drill that I bought about 13years ago when I was still in university. It's got a mind of its own now and only works when I don't need it. Maybe another cheep hammer drill is an option but I seldom drill holes into concrete bigger than about 8mm. For bigger stuff I'll get my dads Sds drill.

As far as I understand it especially with the brushless impact driver it has a few desirable features that the normal impact driver doesn't have. One being torque control.

Hi Guys, looking for any secondhand bicycle tools you want to sell. Busy setting up my workshop and need tools...thank you 

As far as I understand it especially with the brushless impact driver it has a few desirable features that the normal impact driver doesn't have. One being torque control.

One of my impact drivers has the whole multi-mode thing. I can never figure it out and usually end up either with snail paces rotation and unnecessary impacting or warp-speed spinny-spins and torque that blasts the fastener straight through the wood, like it's drilling for oil.

I suppose I should read the manual and memorise the settings... but in stead I default to my simple little impact driver that only has forward and reverse :lol:

Apparently (and after some googling), the 6 settings on my driver are:

• Precision Mode (aka snail pace) - for soft woods 
  • Speed 2 (medium) - The mode I actually want
  • Speed 3 (high) - for long fasteners
  • Self-drilling Screw Mode -  Starts fast until the screw takes, then slows down
  • Assist Mode in forward – Starts off slow then speeds up
  • Assist Mode in reverse - Slow spins but fast pulsing to remove delicate fasteners with reduced risk of stripping the heads.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it onto medium mode :lol:

One of my impact drivers has the whole multi-mode thing. I can never figure it out and usually end up either with snail paces rotation and unnecessary impacting or warp-speed spinny-spins and torque that blasts the fastener straight through the wood, like it's drilling for oil.

I suppose I should read the manual and memorise the settings... but in stead I default to my simple little impact driver that only has forward and reverse :lol:

Apparently (and after some googling), the 6 settings on my driver are:

• Precision Mode (aka snail pace) - for soft woods 
  • Speed 2 (medium) - The mode I actually want
  • Speed 3 (high) - for long fasteners
  • Self-drilling Screw Mode -  Starts fast until the screw takes, then slows down
  • Assist Mode in forward – Starts off slow then speeds up
  • Assist Mode in reverse - Slow spins but fast pulsing to remove delicate fasteners with reduced risk of stripping the heads.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it onto medium mode :lol:

My only gripe with Makita (I have not used other brands) is that the Forward / Reverse button can easily be pressed to change when you don't want to.

Regarding torque, I bought the simplest 1/2" impact driver but wouldn't mind a torque setting.  Still have to loosen wheel nuts with a long breaker bar.

I understand that a brushless motor will deliver more power and probably last longer but is it really worth the extra money when you are not a tradesman?  There is a substantial difference in the price of a brushed motor vs a brushless motor.

My corded hammer drill is a cheap Bosch green drill that I bought about 13years ago when I was still in university.  It's got a mind of its own now and only works when I don't need it.  Maybe another cheep hammer drill is an option but I seldom drill holes into concrete bigger than about 8mm.  For bigger stuff I'll get my dads Sds drill. 

Scan cash crusaders and cash converters for SDS drills. Managed to get mine for R800. It works perfectly well for a home diy'er

Scan cash crusaders and cash converters for SDS drills. Managed to get mine for R800. It works perfectly well for a home diy'er

Those sds drills are pretty much bullet proof, I've even seen new ones around the R1000 mark, from the cheapie brands but even those will beat an impact drill by a huge margin.

Edited by Skylark

... I think I have a problem!

My foray into cycling started with the purchase of some Fox gloves. Initially purchased to keep my mitts a little warmer in winter, these (along with watching some downhill videos) then spurred on the purchase of some Thor goggles, then a full face helmet, finally my first real bike (a Morewood DH bike). Within 5 years of purchasing those gloves I'd had 13 bikes (no more than 5 at a time though, but 7 of them were Morewoods). Fortunately 6 years after that I have calmed down to a manageable 3 MTB's and 2 dirt bikes.

How is this related to the toolbox thread...

Well yesterday I bought a Makita Rapid Charger as it was a great deal. I don't even own any Makita battery-powered tools, or batteries  :ph34r:

That Makita charger is the equivalent of those damn Fox gloves that started it all off! :lol:

I knew that buying that Makita charger was trouble.

Yesterday I accidentally rationalised my way into buying one of these:

XPS01.jpg

Makita_XPS01PT_Action.jpg?trim.threshold

20170826_132954_resized.jpg

Makita Brushless 36V (2x18V) Track/Plunge saw with AWS (Autostart Wireless System. Basically Bluetooth that turns on dust extraction automatically when the tool is in use and lets it run for a few seconds after)

Whilst I love my corded Makita Track saw and still don't own any Makita batteries (yet), the opportunity to go cordless for a bargain presented itself, so financial responsibility was thrown out the window  :ph34r:

What brand is that cassette jaws?

Parktool CP1.2

I have a gripe, with this tool aren't you also relying largely on grip strength to hold the cassette opposed to just hooking the cassette and leaning on a arm like with most chain Whips, hoping to be convinced otherwise

The arms of the pliers seem long, so leverage should be good.

A section of chain on either arm should give sufficient grip on the cassette.

Potentially less fiddly than the tried, tested and reliable wrapping of the 'normal' chainwhip.

I will post my experiences when I next change a cassette

I have changes 2 cassettes now - what a breeze!

Plenty of grip on the cassette with no (percieved) additional clamping force required.

And because the handles are spring loaded, it just pops off when you are finished. No unwrapping required.

It's not that a 'normal' chainwhip is hard to use in the first place. That's what I originally ordered, but they sent this and I didn't have to pay the price difference.

Hard to tell if its worth it, but I am very happy now that I have it.