Setups and saddle for back pain

NickGM

Irma ..... https://irmfit.co.za/

Went to Irma in 2017 for my first proper bikefit.  Made a HUGE difference to my riding and comfort levels.

As my body got used to the new setup further fine tweaks were done, and my distances got longer ....

And then I got uncomfortable on the saddle after longer rides ....

I got a second bike just after this, and took the opportunity to go back to Irma with BOTH bikes.

As soon as I spoke about the saddle issue she opened a drawer and started swoping out the saddle on my bike .... third saddle was just simply a "natural fit" for me !  :clap:

O,and these repeat sessions at Irma are very inexpensive.  :thumbup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a herniation in my L4&L5 disc in my back - so my hip flexors also takes lots of strain. The saddle is where all the pressure originates from and if it does not provide sufficient support you over compensate elsewhere to reduce the pain

I'm in the same boat, slightly worse sadly

Here's my problem with a proper bike fit - it's used to get the best position for your size and other variables but no one knows what you feel in your back and so in my admittedly clueless opinion a bike fit only gets you close if you have serious lower back issues

I respect the work of the fitter who did me then just raised my position a little - less racy and quite honestly I'm not a racer

I then changed to a Spaz phenom which took care of the gonad issues and more recently have upgraded to the Farr version and said gooch is super happy now

I also regularly use the Powerdot EMS thingy which works for me to alleviate the pain but that's another thread

Asking for saddle advice is a difficult one - it's similar to asking for nutritional and bib advice. What works for some, doesn't necessarily work for others.

While I have no doubt that the Spez saddles are great (my wife rides them, as do a lot of other people I know), I find they don't work for me. I have very narrow sit bones, so I ride a Selle Italia Kit Carbonio on all my bikes - it has a narrow width of 137mm and I find that works.

Once you find a saddle that works, buy multiple of them so that you always have an extra one handy - you will thank me later. 

Breaking news: an afrikaans colleague has informed me that the afrikaans version of gooch is "chommie/tjommie". I suspect he may be setting me up to embarrass myself in public.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not going to go out and buy something expensive without at least doing a parking lot ride. But in general it's good to know that there is a likely solution, and I've got some names/brands to test out. 

My tjommie says thanks too. 

Breaking news: an afrikaans colleague has informed me that the afrikaans version of gooch is "chommie/tjommie". I suspect he may be setting me up to embarrass myself in public.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not going to go out and buy something expensive without at least doing a parking lot ride. But in general it's good to know that there is a likely solution, and I've got some names/brands to test out. 

My tjommie says thanks too. 

It is called a tjommie because it keeps your b@lls away from the s h 1 t ....

Edit: Spellchecker would not allow the last word without spaces!

Edited by TIB

I'm in the same boat, slightly worse sadly

Here's my problem with a proper bike fit - it's used to get the best position for your size and other variables but no one knows what you feel in your back and so in my admittedly clueless opinion a bike fit only gets you close if you have serious lower back issues

THIS is what sets "professional" bike fitters apart from the rule of thumb shop setup .....

Irma spends the first 30 minutes getting to know the PERSON, and that person's medical history, sports expectations, range of movement, etc etc .....

adjustments to the bike is only done much later.

This is just the the START.

she follows up on your progress, and your "feeling" on the bike, etc ....

then a follow up is done to make sure if your bike setup works for YOU.

I would add that you should consider a pilates class or similar preferably twice a week to strengthen your core to address your back pain. Especially if you are looking to increase your time in the saddle. This was ultimately what solved my issues.

Choose something you pay for up front - it is more likely you will actually go.

Won't solve the issues with your 'taint however ('taint your balls, 'taint your ass). that is all about your saddle.

Something which worked for me was to lower the saddle a bit, 0.5 to 1 cm. Make sure the pressure point is on the sit bones and not the front part. If my seat is too high I tend to slide forward to compensate as the legs are not long enough. Having a lower seat forces you to sit back. You get used to it, I can confirm from the rollers that the power is the same, average speed for one hour doesn't drop at all and the numbness problem is miles better.

I think also the seat width is important, I am starting to use the Fizik type seats, they are a bit wider at the back and also support riders who like to slide back and forward a bit.

I would add that you should consider a pilates class or similar preferably twice a week to strengthen your core to address your back pain. Especially if you are looking to increase your time in the saddle. This was ultimately what solved my issues.

Choose something you pay for up front - it is more likely you will actually go.

Won't solve the issues with your 'taint however ('taint your balls, 'taint your ass). that is all about your saddle.

Yip, have loads of core stuff that I got from the biokineticist and do them over my lunch break. That part has mostly come right but it was very weak to begin with. Cycling doesn't do much for you from that perspective.  

I'm struggling with the same issue which then radiates up my right side, right up into my the muscles around my scapula. It's very frustrating and made worse by a femur/hip break a few years ago that's haunting me. After reading this I went out and brought one of those Ryder Force saddles yesterday to see if it helps at all, feedback to follow.

I'm struggling with the same issue which then radiates up my right side, right up into my the muscles around my scapula. It's very frustrating and made worse by a femur/hip break a few years ago that's haunting me. After reading this I went out and brought one of those Ryder Force saddles yesterday to see if it helps at all, feedback to follow.

FYI, prior to core work I was getting numbness in the front of my right foot, apparently due to compression of L4/L5 - I can't quite remember the details. That is mostly gone but with my pelvis now in the right position on the bike I've realized just how lousy my saddle is. Hence the start of this thread.

Good luck. You've just got to start ruling things out. Getting a decent saddle and bike fit are probably a good place to start. But also my glutes and hamstrings were hopelessly weak and this was the origin of the back pain. And it is not something that a few youtube videos was going to fix; core strengthening stuff has to be done with perfect posture (and therefore supervised to some extent) because your body always tries to "cheat" and go to the muscle groups it favors. I my case, whatever I could do with my quads and lower back (instead of glutes and hammies) I would do. 

Hi Hubbers,

I've got a bit of lower back pain which had been getting worse for a couple of years. It's not severe but bad enough for me to (a) see a biokineticist about it and (b) get my road bike setup properly for the first time. 

Both have helped a lot, but I'm left with 1 issue: my revised bike setup generally feels a lot better with the exception that I have excessive pressure in an area that one would colloquially call "the gooch". Perineum I believe?, As with my back, it's not hugely uncomfortable, but its bad enough for me to ask an embarrassing question on bikehub. Also it means that I end up sitting asymmetrically in a effort to keep the pressurized area either to the left or right of the saddle. I have to "pick a side", which is not ideal. 

So anyway, I suspect either the setup needs a minor adjustment or I need a different saddle. I currently have a fizik hisene which came with the bike. I've seen others (eg Selle SMP) that have a hollowed out bit in the middle presumably to relive pressure in said area. 

Also, to pre-empt any questions about the setup, the guy that carried it out is well qualified, reputable and has made a saddle suggestion: SQlabs. He's also offered to fine tune the setup a bit. 

Before I fork out for an expensive saddle though, I'm just asking around to see if anyone has had similar issues and to see what worked for them, if anything. 

Thanks

I've had a similar problem. the lower back throb was caused by me sitting skew to accommodate perineum discomfort.

Selle SMP solved the problem for me. Also tried SQlab saddles and it is certainly very good.

try to get some time on an SMP and an SQlab saddle and then see which is most comfortable. 

the bike fit should also help since your hip rotation angle also plays a role. I'd say you're on the right track. Just listen the advice of your bike fitter and take it step by step

I use Ism Adamo. I have the “Attack” on my road bike and Prologue on another. I have long legs and a short torso but good flexibility, thus I do stretch a bit forward in my riding position which would under normal conditions put quite a bit of pressure on the “stuff”.

It does take a good few months to get use to these seats but I won’t go back to conventional seats ever again.

Just a few minutes on a Wattbike(seat) and I need to get off. So much so I ordered a Wattbike seat connector in order to take my own to the gym when needed.

post-20017-0-01292200-1572520365_thumb.jpeg

Jumping in here from the side...sorrynotsorry

I rarely (if ever) go on rides of more than +-35km, but e.g. dragging myself up Saaltjie - my tjommie trek my swaar. Sitting on the devil's fist. I have the OEM saddle that came with my Fuel EX. I broke my L3 vertebrae 2yrs ago and made a full recovery (MIRACLE) but on long climbs I do tend to feel my lower back getting stiff and uncomfortable...

Would you recommend the likes of the Ryder Force for someone like me (trail rider pretending to do some enduro here and there)

This looks like a deal:

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/ryder-force-saddle