Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

I fear you fear too much & that you imply no action should be taken.. Hope I am wrong here though. When brave strong courageous men take virtuous action backed by the law and well thought out morals and procedures, the criminals involved won't get the upper hand.

Alfred North Whitehead: "True courage is not the brutal force of vulgar heroes, but the firm resolve of virtue and reason."

Dale Carnegie: "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

I fear the day the perps decide to take the protection of their right to entitlement into their own hands and start attacking these good hearted locals for interfering with their operations

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear you fear too much & that you imply no action should be taken.. Hope I am wrong here though. When brave strong courageous men take virtuous action backed by the law and well thought out morals and procedures, the criminals involved won't get the upper hand.

Alfred North Whitehead: "True courage is not the brutal force of vulgar heroes, but the firm resolve of virtue and reason."

Dale Carnegie: "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

I have a lot of respect for those willing to get involved, and I know it's the only way things will improve. But there have been many cases of people going out to help, and being gunned down. I am not discouraging people, I just worry for them 

Riverfields security has improved, they have security on the premises funded by Finish Line and donations. 

Never been there,and I live around the corner.Whats it like?

The best way to resolve this is by getting the vagrants/ plastic collectors involved (as I dont think that it is one of them, they have to much to loose ifbthey get evicted) by either a big cash reward or by threat of eviction because of the attacks. This sucks big time.

When "Wendy" was smash and grabbed one night at the traffic lights on the N14 bridge heading out towards Lanseria a couple of years ago (during the time that they were building the second bridge of the pair actually), the thief ran off in the direction of the camp opposite the Lion Park.

The police told us later that if he ran into the camp and anyone saw him with stolen goods they would "give him a good kicking" for doing something that could lead to the police coming into their area and poking about. He said "their lives are hard enough, without some scumbag bringing that mess down on top of them"

Never been there,and I live around the corner.Whats it like?

I enjoy it for a good workout, 3 different routes well marked and while not truly technical they do offer a challenge. It's got an expiration date though as the land is ear marked for development in the future so best to give it a go now.  

I enjoy it for a good workout, 3 different routes well marked and while not truly technical they do offer a challenge. It's got an expiration date though as the land is ear marked for development in the future so best to give it a go now.  

I will.Thanks

A mate and me did a recce there late afternoon around the perimeter from Mark's Park down.

We noticed slats that have been cut out of the palisade in a few spots. I will sponsor an outside contractor (who will hopefully gain mileage out of this) to repair the escape routes being used.

If it starts to become too expensive to do it on my own, I might have to ask for a few donations to get the project completed.

This country has gone to the dogs. If you love cycling it’s best to find a way to get out. The spruit is really not that great and really not worth loosing your life for.

Ivan the spruit may not be Whistler but it is a lekker ride. For people like me it is close to home so we don’t need to drive to get in a decent ride. For me it is something worth fighting for because I enjoy using it.

This country has gone to the dogs. If you love cycling it’s best to find a way to get out. The spruit is really not that great and really not worth loosing your life for.

Ivan the spruit may not be Whistler but it is a lekker ride. For people like me it is close to home so we don’t need to drive to get in a decent ride. For me it is something worth fighting for because I enjoy using it.

Very few things in the world are worth losing your life for, and cycling somewhere definately isn't one of them. Equally, for a lot of people the Spruit ticks all the right boxes - close to home, away from traffic (mostly), trails that comprise of "a bit of everything". . . . I loved riding the Spruit. 

Sadly the list of placs you can ride safely without fear of violent crime seems to be getting shorter by the day. Last week an attempted mugging at Northern Farm was mentioned.

Everyone needs to be careful out there. Good luck.

2 years ago I moved from JHB to CT in search of better and safer trails. I found better trails but CT definitely has its own crime hot spots. If you can’t ride a bicycle in peace then something is wrong.

Edited by ivan888

A mate and me did a recce there late afternoon around the perimeter from Mark's Park down.

We noticed slats that have been cut out of the palisade in a few spots. I will sponsor an outside contractor (who will hopefully gain mileage out of this) to repair the escape routes being used.

If it starts to become too expensive to do it on my own, I might have to ask for a few donations to get the project completed.

I would like to do the patrols with the guys but can’t atm. Send me your banking details and I’ll help with the palisade situation.