Willie Smith Vlog: Bus takes out fellow rider

Vetplant

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is shocking. I pray the two gentlemen heal completely, and get back on the saddle when they are ready. As for the bus driver, I hope he gets justice served.

With regards to his driving / what he should have done etc. I am of the opinion that it is a moot discussion. He broke the law. End van die prent. Also, most bus drivers are just glorified taxi drivers anyway. It seems unreasonable to expect better from a bus than a taxi.

I was cycling in Melkbos a while back one morning while it was still dark. I have a bright red flashing light on the rear of my seat post, and an even brighter flashing light on my bars, but still I very nearly got taken out by the Van Riebeeck High's school bus. It too passed me with less than half a meter to spare, even though I was literally on the broken verge of tar beside the gravel, and flashing like a blooming Christmas tree. That morning I realized that I could justify it in any way I choose, but it would make no difference if the bus killed me, which it could easily have done.

And that's exactly the problem, we as cyclist expect everyone else to obey the laws on the road. If they had kept further to the left, and didn't ride next to each other all this would have been avoided..some basic road rules for you..read point number 2 and number 5. At least two violations by the group, but no lets rather blame someone else...

Reg 311.

1. No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.
  2. Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.
  3. No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.
  4. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.
  5. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.
  6. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handlebars of such pedal cycle.
  7. Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.
  8. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles shall do so in such manner that all the wheels Special provisions relating to freeways.

Dude, you are setting yourself up here. Stop playing holier than thou and go do as you wish.

And its spelled 'opinion'.

And that's exactly the problem, we as cyclist expect everyone else to obey the laws on the road. If they had kept further to the left, and didn't ride next to each other all this would have been avoided..some basic road rules for you..read point number 2 and number 5. At least two violations by the group, but no lets rather blame someone else...

Reg 311.

1. No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.
  2. Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time. What were the pedal cyclists overtaking?
  3. No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.
  4. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.
  5. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle. Which pedal cyclist were giving lifts?
  6. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handlebars of such pedal cycle.
  7. Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.
  8. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles shall do so in such manner that all the wheels Special provisions relating to freeways.

You got issues guy. Get over them.

Dude, you are setting yourself up here. Stop playing holier than thou and go do as you wish.

And its spelled 'opinion'.

Too late, that shipped sailed long ago.

Now, about that popcorn I was going to go and make.....

With regards to his driving / what he should have done etc. I am of the opinion that it is a moot discussion. He broke the law. End van die prent. Also, most bus drivers are just glorified taxi drivers anyway. It seems unreasonable to expect better from a bus than a taxi.

What exactly did the bus driver do here to be punished?

Reg 311.

2. Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.
  5. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

Please could you enlighten us (from the same rule book used above) about the responsibilities of a driver of a vehicle?

Like to stay in the lane, drive with care, not crash into other things and to stop if being involved in an accident etc.

But in the mean time:

297r40.jpg

shall we start with the hit and run and take it from there?

Do you think that bus driver felt or heard that collision.I have driven a bus and know that you hardly feel anything on that side.

Reg 311.

Did you seriously not read your OWN post. 

Point 2 the road ENDS at the yellow, you need to ride single file if you are on the roadway !!!!

Point 5= no idea what you are referring to. A camera does not obstruct your view and the law says you must have at least one hand on the handlebar.

But ya, carry on blaming the victim here. 

I can not wait for your house to get burgled so I can tell you what you should have done etc

Like most things in life this is not a simply "the bus driver is wrong" scenario.

In earlier footage the riders are two abreast, in the middle of the road, filming etc. Hell just before the bus hits the rider the rider is over the yellow line.

When the bus hits the rider it is over the yellow line.

In a perfect world there would be bike lanes - in this world riders should have kept a little more left and mucked about a little less knowing it is a busy road and the bus driver should have stayed wider of the rider. Neither did and contact happened.

You could argue that the bus being the larger of the two and clear winner in any contact should have exercised more caution but that doesn't automatically absolve the riders of their indiscretions.

There are no innocents in this one.

Edited by Eldron

So the bus drifted closer or did it on purpose

You can't really see because of the angle and you can't see how close the cyclist is to the yellow line.

This guy was on the yellow line and look how far over his bars are.

post-5455-0-49367600-1575549351_thumb.png

post-5455-0-45180000-1575549437_thumb.png

Clearly bus was at fault. But cyclist also need to take some responsibility 

But we as cyclist need to stop assuming that motorists will give way or consider safety of pedestrians and or cyclists when passing or driving in close proximity. Its just not the way it works in this country. In Europe yes, it works, and we all know why it works.

If i ride on a public road i keep as far left as possible and always assume that every car, bus & truck is actually out there to kill me. This is the main reason i started MTBing.

I can't remember how many times I've gone off onto the dirt because the vehicle passing was to close for comfort. And stopped at a green light because the vehicle approaching the intersection didn't look like it was going to stop. If you wanna be safe on the roads (or as safe as possible) then you need to be the one who is on the defensive and constantly vigilant and take the evasive action, always be aware the next car coming from behind in front or the side hasn't seen you and could kill you.

Looking at the video and in hindsight could this have been different ? - yes if the guys were keeping more left. As much as its the buses fault for being too close to the yellow line - well the cyclist was also too close to the yellow line, not clever on such a busy road thinking a yellow line will give the protection they need, especially in this country.