Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

I thought of a different scenario... 2 school kids. Let's call them Mikey and Paul.

Mikey is a bit dim witted and not exceptional, but he tries really hard and does what he is told.

Paul is the star rugby player, popular kid and is going places through hard work, talent and some well placed support.

Mikey is a hall monitor. He see's Paul bouncing his ball in the hall during peace time and says 'My job is to ask you to stop bouncing that ball in the halls and respect peace time'.

Paul doesn't like being told what to do, so he keeps bouncing the ball in the hall. Mikey doesn't really know what to do. The headmaster tasked him to keep the halls free of such things and ball bouncing is on the list.

'Stop bouncing you ball in the hall, it is not allowed'

Paul then decides he will continue to disregard Mikey and continues to bounce his rugby ball in the hall, contrary to the rules Mikey has been asked to uphold and police. 

He was never really told HOW to uphold and police the laws as the headmaster assumed that the kids would respect the Hall Monitor badge and do as requested. 

Mikey is now frustrated, he feels Paul is taunting him. Being a little slow but desperate to fulfill his job and follow the headmasters instructions, he attempts to take the ball away from Paul. As he does this, one of Paul's rugby friends starts filming it.

As Mikey lunges for the ball, his shoulder hits Paul and his elbow follows through and breaks his nose.

Paul can now no longer play Craven week and is incensed. He runs around telling everybody 'Mikey attacked me for no reason and broke my nose and now I can't play Craven Week!!!' 

The video clearly shows Mikey doing just that, but as he is now guilty, violent scum who completely over reacted to a simple 'no bouncing of balls in the hall' rule, no one belives him or even asks why he reacted how he did.

Paul garners all the support from parents and principle and Mikey is expelled. 

The parents and teachers repeatedly tell the other hall monitors that Mikey had NO authority to enforce the rules, he had no right what so ever.

A few months later, Sam dies after spending the night stuffed into his locker. The teachers and parents are outraged. 

'Where were the hall monitors!!!'

'We saw them do it, but without any real authority we took a photo and emailed it to the principle, like you suggested when Mikey was expelled'

The outrage is immense, the parents and teachers accuse the hall monitors of being useless, they are there to prevent such things......

'But how can we prevent anything after being repeatedly told we had no authority? How do we know who to apprehend and who to take pictures of?'

The headmaster replies 'The people doing no wrong will stop when asked because they are decent. The ones who ignore you are usually up to no good'...

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“ What boggles the mind is that some are of the opinion nic is to blame.” who said that Nic is to blame? I don’t think I have seen one post saying that this is Nic’s fault?

Some have said that Nic’s action COULD have contributed to the escalation of the situation.

I don’t agree with that, but lets grant those with that opinion the courtesy of not twisting their words to that of victim blaming.

Edited by Patchelicious

Yesterday around my diverse dinner table, there were a few, non cyclists, who were critical of him riding without a permit. They did not know who he was, just that he was a cyclist and got what he deserved.

When I said how sad it is that a talented youngster who was likely on his way to the Olympics and hopefully the Tour de France, will now miss it altogether, their sympathy changed immediately and they could see that his loss was out of proportion to his indiscretion. Before that they just thought, "so what, arm a few weeks in a cast, sit behind desk, get paid at end of month, carry on with life". But as soon as they understood how profound an effect this will have on Nicks' life, put themselves in his shoes, so to speak, they came around.

Perhaps that is what is needed? For people to start seeing cyclists as people, real people, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends!

It should make no difference of the cyclist was a pro, or any other rider.

Even as a male this is what I would and have done.

Way to many dodgy people around.

I think as long as you give a clear enough indication that you have seen them and are complying in general you should be ok.

Let’s be honest here, Nic didn’t not stop because he afraid of being kidnapped or hijacked.

I thought of a different scenario... 2 school kids. Let's call them Mikey and Paul.

Mikey is a bit dim witted and not exceptional, but he tries really hard and does what he is told.

Paul is the star rugby player, popular kid and is going places through hard work, talent and some well placed support.

Mikey is a hall monitor. He see's Paul bouncing his ball in the hall during peace time and says 'My job is to ask you to stop bouncing that ball in the halls and respect peace time'.

Paul doesn't like being told what to do, so he keeps bouncing the ball in the hall. Mikey doesn't really know what to do. The headmaster tasked him to keep the halls free of such things and ball bouncing is on the list.

Paul then decides he will continue to disregard Mikey and continues to bounce his rugby ball in the hall, contrary to the rules Mikey has been asked to uphold and police. 

He was never really told HOW to uphold and police the laws as the headmaster assumed that the kids would respect the Hall Monitor badge and do as requested. 

Mikey is now frustrated, he feels Paul is taunting him. Being a little slow but desperate to fulfill his job and follow the headmasters instructions, he attempts to take the ball away from Paul. As he does this, one of Paul's rugby friends starts filming it.

As Mikey lunges for the ball, his shoulder hits Paul and his elbow follows through and breaks his nose.

Paul can now no longer play Craven week and is incensed. He runs around telling everybody 'Mikey attacked me for no reason and broke my nose and now I can't play Craven Week!!!' 

The video clearly shows Mikey doing just that, but as he is now guilty, violent scum who completely over reacted to a simple 'no bouncing of balls in the hall' rule, no one belives him or even asks why he reacted how he did.

The parents and teachers repeatedly tell the other hall monitors that Mikey had NO authority to enforce the rules, he had no right what so ever.

A few months later, Sam dies after spending the night stuffed into his locker. The teachers and parents are outraged. 

'We saw them do it, but without any real authority we took a photo and emailed it to the principle, like you suggested when Mikey was expelled'

The outrage is immense, the parents and teachers accuse the hall monitors of being useless, they are there to prevent such things......

'But how can we prevent anything after being repeatedly told we had no authority? How do we know who to apprehend and who to take pictures of?'

The headmaster replies 'The people doing no wrong will stop when asked because they are decent. The ones who ignore you are usually up to no good'...

for once I'm in agreement with you.

To sumarise, Damned if you do (because you dont have sufficient training to do the job), damned if you dont.

A very small part of me sympathises with the rangers, they are most probably tasked with the job without having the training to deal with incidents like this. The rest of me sees this type of thing happening way to often and is calling for their heads to roll.

Let’s be honest here, Nic didn’t not stop because he afraid of being kidnapped or hijacked.

yeah I was replying more to the scenario where cops are wanting to pull you over.

:D  They re-introduced lion the the Karoo National Park, so you were better off on the back of the bakkie   :D

But the Strava times would be great 

I don't believe that anyone has said that Nic got what he deserved but

he did seem to be involved in an escalating the situation that we assume he

could have helped to de-escalate (as many Hubbers have previously stated).

It is obvious that the manner in which the rangers initially re-acted in giving chase to apprehend Nic

they felt was justified. 

The over-reation of one ranger to keep twisting the arm to breaking point obviously shows his lack of training as he had two other rangers with him to assist. A variety of other methods could have been used to quell the situation and get compliance from Nic...but they weren't used!

As this will likely end up in the courts (and a settlement made) we might never get to hear the real story...so all the rest is mere speculation!

This whole role play is based on Paul knowingly floundering the rules of bouncing a ball in the hallway...and then again disregarding a request to not continue (a civilised request).

I know we can not prove it, but Nic is saying that he did not know he had to have a permit.

And this all happened after being pushed off his bike at speed (is this also assault as force was used?) before the guy broke his arm. The arm breaking we all agree that is overkill for the situation?

Out of interest for those in the know. If someone breaks into my house and I use physical force to assault him and he walks out with a broken arm.....would I be up on a case of GBH?

If you look at the evidence as reported and in the video this what we know, Nic was pulled off his bike because the SANPARKS officials were told that he did not pay. They had no idea at the time whether he had a permit or not but they decided that pulling him off his bike was justified regardless of any injury that could have been caused (strike one). They then decide he has to be forcefully apprehended  which is evident in the video, I can't see any reason why any force was necessary, they could have just loaded his bike into the bakkie and said sir you need to accompany us to the office (strike two). Then there was the ranger aggressively trying to stop the person filming the incident to the point that person feared for his own safety, I would love to know which park rule was being applied there (strike three).

Now I have the pleasure of working with a number of SANPARKS rangers in our parks and they will be appalled at this incident. Their primary focus is the sustainability of human interaction with nature, but when given the choice they will protect human life.  It creates conflict but the protocol is that if human life is threatened you take the animal out even if it is an endangered species. I expect that  this event will not sit well with SANPARKS as a whole and I can't see these officials keeping their jobs as their standards are way higher than this.

Mikey could have (and should have) escalated the issue to the appropriate authorities (the Principal), and then the Principal could have disciplined Paul.

But since Paul's daddy has a fat wallet, which is the real reason that Paul is a player on the team, the Principal took the calculated strategy of getting Paul off the hook by letting Mikey take the fall. If the Principal had any ethics, and even the remotest semblance of a back bone, he would have stood up to Paul and his economically bullying dad. But since the Principal has no principals so to speak, he let Mikey fall on his own sword.

And this is the problem we have in SA today too. Government plays to the greater strategy of pleasing the populist consensus, even at the expense of the Mikey's and Sam's of the world.

The story lacks a middle aged golfer in a white double cab bakkie.

This whole role play is based on Paul knowingly floundering the rules of bouncing a ball in the hallway...and then again disregarding a request to not continue (a civilised request).

I know we can not prove it, but Nic is saying that he did not know he had to have a permit.

And this all happened after being pushed off his bike at speed (is this also assault as force was used?) before the guy broke his arm. The arm breaking we all agree that is overkill for the situation?

Out of interest for those in the know. If someone breaks into my house and I use physical force to assault him and he walks out with a broken arm.....would I be up on a case of GBH?

He did. The rangers report says he ignored requests to stop at the boom, who then radio'd the bakkie. He then ignored requests from the bakkie to stop so they waited for him at the gate as he only had 1 way out on the tar road.

To get in you also pass signs that tell you to stop and say you need a permit or to pay to enter.

Ignorance, especially for a guy who lives in Capricorn and has probably ridden Ou Kaapse a gazillion times and is a local, is unfortunately not a valid excuse in my books.

I know I am not allowed to sleep on the mountain but sometimes I do. I have been caught by the same rangers. I gladly accepted I was wrong, said sorry and they escorted me out of the park.

Those same rangers have also asked me for my activity card hundreds of times while running my dog, riding bikes etc... I stop when I see them raise their hand, I say 'Good day sir, here is my card' they nod and I go on my way.

Those same rangers. I have seen them get lippy though. With people who don't have a card or a permit telling them they have no right to stop them from walking their dogs in the park. 

It's often that reaction to a guy doing his job that leads to regrettable words and actions.

AFAIK only if you re-acted in self defence with the appropriate force. If he did nothing to endanger your life you are not entitled to break his arm.