• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt, I literally quoted your exact words, will do so again:

“What boggles the mind is that some are of the opinion nic is to blame.”

And some have laid blame at Nic's door.

So, in essence, my line is correct.

However, I have not opened the door of victim blaming etc. Those are your words twisting mine. So I reiterate, please do me the courtesy of not twisting my words.

Simple request and in line with your very philosophy.

Ja Robbie. The parks guys behaviour was excessive but if you are doing something wrong knowingly then you open yourself up to all kinds of repercussions

Do yourself a favour. Go back to page one of this thread. Read the entire length of the discussion, take in all the different sides, and then consider again if you stand by your ridiculous point of view. 

This is not about what led to Nic getting his arm broken. NO ONE is approving of him not having paid.

The whole argument revolves around whether anyone approves of the escalation of violence shown by the park ranger, and the repercussion thereof, if say you or your family and friends go walk around on TMNP and get accosted by the park ranger, man handled and grievously injured because you "resisted apprehension". In what situation is such violence warranted or excusable? None that I can think of? Excusing such abhorrent behaviour is what leads to a totalitarian police state, where people are guilty until proven innocent, not the other way round.

Any as Eddy has so clearly explained, no crime was committed. By your argument, the death penalty is warranted in the event of a speeding fine. Do you see how ludicrous your reasoning is?

Which part?

The part about the rangers becoming criminals or the part about him omitting parts of the story to suit his narrative?

I don't regard either as being over the top at all.

One is a real possibility and the other is unfortunately the truth.

I'm not sure what got you to Zuma staying in power, but I am not 100% it was logic.

I haven't attacked a single hubber on this thread, but many have insulted me because my view on the outrage outrage differs from theirs and the overall 'baying for blood' and #westandwithNic

I don't stand with Nic. I also most definitely don't stand with the rangers.

I feel that both parties need to accept where they went wrong, take ownership of their situation and move on accordingly.

If that means that I appear blinded by a moral high ground as per DieselandDust, then so be it. I believe many people are blinded by the outrage outrage, their feelings and an instinct to side with one of their own.

Westerners believe that the Chinese are barbaric because they eat dogs. Indians believe westerners are barbaric because we eat cows...

So many people are saying 'The facts aren't known so nobody can say anything'

WHY aren't the facts known? The rangers' report is out. Their radio comms are reported.

Nic has omitted the 'facts' leading up to it in his statements and focused on the assault.

But ag whatever.... If I was parks I would ban all cycling on the mountain and in the park areas. The income is pennies and it just causes them headaches trying to police it, especially when nobody recognises their authority to do so.

By baying so loudly we could very well find we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

The part where you suggest that holding these guys accountable for their behaviour is risky because if they get fired they'll come back as well informed muggers. Now that is sensationalism at it's best and your logic means we should never fire anybody for wrongdoing because they could do more damage hence the Zuma example, he effectively held the country to ransom. You might be happy with a soft approach to this but I am not.

As a matter of interest the SANPARKS rangers that I speak to (albeit up here in the north) are not impressed with these guys because it reflects badly on them. One commented that they treat suspected poachers with more respect than what was shown to Nic. I can attest to that as we were apprehended on a game walk in the north of KNP when the anti poaching unit were unaware that we would be in the area. They calmly disarmed our guides, removed our backpacks and sat us down in the shade while they contacted base to verify who we were. Once it was all done and dusted they joined us for part of the hike and we joined them for a beer the next day at the end of hike. My lasting impression is that of professional and dedicated people, which can't be said of this lot if the video is anything to go by.

Edited by River Rat

.............. My lasting impression is that of professional and dedicated people, which can't be said of this lot if the video is anything to go by.

Very true and not something we should ever forget when we condemn the bad apples. 

Very true and not something we should ever forget when we condemn the bad apples. 

Much as I am on the side of the idiots involved here being held to account there are others that do the best they can.

Four times that I know of since Christmas eve rangers have assisted with or completed the evacuation of injured riders from Tokai.

#notallrangersaretwats

Could you explain a bit more? I am a bit slow at the end of the year...

Although we can evaluate each action on their own (ie the bully was wrong), how are they not still in some way connected (ps, using the word connected not justified), because take out any one of the aspects of the story ie "bully", the parking bay location, and the driver, and the story about the guys getting so upset he breaks another persons arm would not have occurred.  

because at each point each individual has a choice. when ranger DECIDED to teach Nic a lesson he made a conscious decision to hurt someone.

Someone stealing a parking spot may be completely oblivious to another waiting for the same parking.

One decision involves malice, the other not. If ranger was capable of controlling his own emotions we won't have this thread to resurrect and otherwise dormant Bikehub morality cognoscenti.

don't now what you're referring too re parking but it clearly has nothing to do with a person in authority not being emotionally and psychologically fit to fulfill the role

Any clarity on why a legal firm has been appointed to represent Nic? Has a case been opened by one of the parties?

because at each point each individual has a choice. when ranger DECIDED to teach Nic a lesson he made a conscious decision to hurt someone.

Someone stealing a parking spot may be completely oblivious to another waiting for the same parking.

One decision involves malice, the other not. If ranger was capable of controlling his own emotions we won't have this thread to resurrect and otherwise dormant Bikehub morality cognoscenti.

don't now what you're referring too re parking but it clearly has nothing to do with a person in authority not being emotionally and psychologically fit to fulfill the role

If the rider was capable of controlling his own concience and honesty  we won't have this thread to resurrect.Its a two way street and the same rules apply to both.

Any clarity on why a legal firm has been appointed to represent Nic? Has a case been opened by one of the parties?

I expect a lawsuit against SANPARKS for injury, loss of income etc which you and I will pay for if successful.

Which part?

The part about the rangers becoming criminals or the part about him omitting parts of the story to suit his narrative?

I don't regard either as being over the top at all.

One is a real possibility and the other is unfortunately the truth.

I'm not sure what got you to Zuma staying in power, but I am not 100% it was logic.

I haven't attacked a single hubber on this thread, but many have insulted me because my view on the outrage outrage differs from theirs and the overall 'baying for blood' and #westandwithNic

I don't stand with Nic. I also most definitely don't stand with the rangers.

I feel that both parties need to accept where they went wrong, take ownership of their situation and move on accordingly.

If that means that I appear blinded by a moral high ground as per DieselandDust, then so be it. I believe many people are blinded by the outrage outrage, their feelings and an instinct to side with one of their own.

Westerners believe that the Chinese are barbaric because they eat dogs. Indians believe westerners are barbaric because we eat cows...

So many people are saying 'The facts aren't known so nobody can say anything'

WHY aren't the facts known? The rangers' report is out. Their radio comms are reported.

Nic has omitted the 'facts' leading up to it in his statements and focused on the assault.

But ag whatever.... If I was parks I would ban all cycling on the mountain and in the park areas. The income is pennies and it just causes them headaches trying to police it, especially when nobody recognises their authority to do so.

By baying so loudly we could very well find we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

Fokkit boet, I want to buy you a beer.

I'm in Cape Town for a week from 21 January. Please PM me your number. We seem to think the same way.

If the rider was capable of controlling his own concience and honesty  we won't have this thread to resurrect.Its a two way street and the same rules apply to both.

The two hardly comparable we might be interested in a Pro being caught for riding roque but the rest of the world would not be bothered. What we have now is someone who may or may not have ridden roque is not the story but the breaking of his arm is the story. The first is a minor offence the second is criminal totally different rules.

I expect a lawsuit against SANPARKS for injury, loss of income etc which you and I will pay for if successful.

Inevitable.And they will win the suit.