Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

Good example...

No the attacker do not have the right to break his arm as that would be assault.. 

But then again if they did not park in the parking bay they would not have had to deal with an irrational bully - not victim blaming, just the risk they accepted.  

The two things are separate and yet connected

only because you and the attacker  have connected them. 

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way in is through a boomed gate? There are lots of big signs including a manned boom. I would have also presumed at this time of year a few cars in the queue! Maybe he thought he didn't need to queue like all us mere mortals? Let us only hope that the actual truth will come out.

Is cycling through Chapmans not also on SANPark grounds? When passing the toll gates, cyclists get a free pass. Could the argument perhaps be that Nic felt the same rule applies at Silvermine?

I ask as I have not cycled in Silvermine myself. In fact, I have never been there as yet.

The whole situation has way too little information. I eagerly await for more clarity.

However, a few years ago we were stopped on TMNP for cycling on a hiking trail. The official threatened us with a fine. We ended up having a decent chat explained the situation and offered to walk the rest of the trail to the road. He was happy and so were we.

The violent nature of what has transpired from said event is totally uncalled for. 

I can be hot headed at times, and many times I think, I should of approached or handled that differently. Over the years I have learned its best to try and remain calm in a situation, being hot headed always lands you in trouble.

This whole role play is based on Paul knowingly floundering the rules of bouncing a ball in the hallway...and then again disregarding a request to not continue (a civilised request).

I know we can not prove it, but Nic is saying that he did not know he had to have a permit.

And this all happened after being pushed off his bike at speed (is this also assault as force was used?) before the guy broke his arm. The arm breaking we all agree that is overkill for the situation?

Out of interest for those in the know. If someone breaks into my house and I use physical force to assault him and he walks out with a broken arm.....would I be up on a case of GBH?

Nic is saying he didn’t know?

That’s strange, his IG is littered with pics of him riding in Cape Town in the southern suburbs, Around the peninsula, with team DD and with local CPT pro’s.

More likely that Norton Rose has told him to say that.

That’s strange, his IG is littered with pics of him riding in Cape Town in the southern suburbs, Around the peninsula, with team DD and with local CPT pro’s.

That would amount to witness coaching so I doubt that they did that, but to your point it is highly unlikely that Nic was totally innocent in this saga. But the ranger's conduct will be judged against that of a reasonable man and that's where all their arguments fall down.

Edited by River Rat

And there in lies my issue.

He is purposefully omitting things or falsifying his statement to garner more outrage outrage.

Another issue is that by calling these rangers thugs, criminals and disgusting, then firing them, one is asking for trouble.

With no income, a bone to pick and intimate knowledge of the park, the habits of it's users and the terrain, they will make incredible muggers.

You are what you believe you are and tell someone they are scum enough times, well, they just might go down that road when they have no income, nothing to lose and anger in their hearts that needs to be directed somewhere.

All the sensationalist sharing and rude word calling is just asking for trouble.

And there in lies my issue.

He is purposefully omitting things or falsifying his statement to garner more outrage outrage.

Another issue is that by calling these rangers thugs, criminals and disgusting, then firing them, one is asking for trouble.

With no income, a bone to pick and intimate knowledge of the park, the habits of it's users and the terrain, they will make incredible muggers.

You are what you believe you are and tell someone they are scum enough times, well, they just might go down that road when they have no income, nothing to lose and anger in their hearts that needs to be directed somewhere.

All the sensationalist sharing and rude word calling is just asking for trouble.

And you don't think your post is somewhat over the top?

only because you and the attacker  have connected them. 

Could you explain a bit more? I am a bit slow at the end of the year...

Although we can evaluate each action on their own (ie the bully was wrong), how are they not still in some way connected (ps, using the word connected not justified), because take out any one of the aspects of the story ie "bully", the parking bay location, and the driver, and the story about the guys getting so upset he breaks another persons arm would not have occurred.  

And you don't think your post is somewhat over the top?

Which part?

The part about the rangers becoming criminals or the part about him omitting parts of the story to suit his narrative?

I don't regard either as being over the top at all.

One is a real possibility and the other is unfortunately the truth.

I'm not sure what got you to Zuma staying in power, but I am not 100% it was logic.

I haven't attacked a single hubber on this thread, but many have insulted me because my view on the outrage outrage differs from theirs and the overall 'baying for blood' and #westandwithNic

I don't stand with Nic. I also most definitely don't stand with the rangers.

I feel that both parties need to accept where they went wrong, take ownership of their situation and move on accordingly. 

If that means that I appear blinded by a moral high ground as per DieselandDust, then so be it. I believe many people are blinded by the outrage outrage, their feelings and an instinct to side with one of their own. 

Westerners believe that the Chinese are barbaric because they eat dogs. Indians believe westerners are barbaric because we eat cows... 

So many people are saying 'The facts aren't known so nobody can say anything'

WHY aren't the facts known? The rangers' report is out. Their radio comms are reported. 

Nic has omitted the 'facts' leading up to it in his statements and focused on the assault.

But ag whatever.... If I was parks I would ban all cycling on the mountain and in the park areas. The income is pennies and it just causes them headaches trying to police it, especially when nobody recognises their authority to do so.

By baying so loudly we could very well find we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

This ^^^^

Iv'e stopped commenting on repeats and posts which claim fact but do not contain source, some widely absurd IMO. If you going to claim fact then attach source (links) otherwise it is plain old IMO. 

Let the investigation show before leading up to the event, the video footage is the event, and after, what steps are taken.  

Edited by scotty

"If I was parks I would ban all cycling on the mountain and in the park areas."

Nooooo, then they'll all be on the roads, riding six abreast and giving everyone else the finger..

So Nic was asked to stop at the boom and he did not do so,

so they radioed the bakkie  .......

I have cycled through that gate on numerous occasions on my road bike to do some reps on that hill just beyond. I have NEVER been asked to show my card EVER. The person manning the hokkie did not move a millimeter ever to do so.

Now that begs a few questions

I ride the Wagon trail and Tokai often and often from S to N and since the fire have never been asked for my card.

Btw coming down that hill is fast - grab my handlebar and the resultant would be pretty serious.

Edited by porqui