Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a school of thought that your bone strength increases if you are exposed regularly to impacts, especially in a contact sport like rugby.

Also, a baby in a tummy is the ultimate parasite, it will take all the minerals it needs to develop. If the mom doesn't consume sufficient calcium, it will canabalise the mom's bones for said calcium, thus the reason for many women having bone density problems.

Which is also why some here is concerned, and rightly so, about Nic's general well being. It is well documented that professional road cyclists may develop the same condition.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/

Edited by Moridin

Well, Nic wasn't trespassing. At worst he failed to buy/show a permit needed to access a public road in the park. That is not a crime just like overstaying your welcome in a parking bay isn't one. You may get a parking ticket but that does not make it a crime.

Have you been drinking all afternoon?

Dlamini was an intruder. He had not paid for the use of the amenities he was enjoying.

That shows criminal intent.

He knew what he was doing was wrong, or at least should've known it was wrong.

The fact that he had an altercation with an official shows that the said official took the law into his own hands and dealt with the situation as he deemed proper.

As a law-abiding person can attest, the force used was improper and unnecessary, and needs to be dealt with.

An important point not to miss is WHY this episode occurred in the first place. If Nic had complied in the first place, I doubt things would have escalated to the position they did

Anyone wanting to take Eddy on in matters of law is most welcome, but likely to have their dodgy arguments snapped like a broken arm bone - be warned - Eddy knows the law!

This thread reminds me of the old cwc threads. When they were not allowed to be criticized for anything. No matter what they had done they were the golden boys. Pretty much same applies here. We all have opinions. I would be interested to see in an actual court of law how this would all pan out.

SANParks will do exactly what they have done in the past, they will withdraw the case, not show up or settle it out of court. They have done that on more than one occasion when rangers did stupid things. They will do it again because most likely they have a poor case and will be slaughtered both by the law and public opinion.

Edited by DJR

This thread reminds me of the old cwc threads. When they were not allowed to be criticized for anything. No matter what they had done they were the golden boys. Pretty much same applies here. We all have opinions. I would be interested to see in an actual court of law how this would all pan out.

So explain me this. You see someone parked in mom&tots bay without a kid in sight and you need to use it.

You tell the person they are parked illegally and he tells you F-off! Do you now have the right to breaking his arm????

Edited by Quagga

I don't think anybody here said anything about the nature of the assault being determined by that. People were just thinking out loud how come his arm broke so easily. I myself have had some massive dismouts, and I have yet to break one bone in my body.

A twisting force makes all the difference.

I produced the same result as that with an armlock in a competition when I put pressure on just as my opponent tried to twist the opposite way, went from having no more than firm control to a snapped arm in a split second.

A horrible moment.

Edited by marko35s

A twisting force makes all the difference.

I produced the same result as that with an armlock in a competition when I put pressure on just as my opponent tried to twist the opposite way, went from having no more to firm control to a snapped arm in a split second.

A horrible moment.

:D Perhaps you should explain that you are a martial arts expert Mark, or some will come to the conclusion that you are an arm twisting ranger of some kind. You know, some on here are very good at twisting words, almost as good as you are at twisting arms  ;)   

Have you been drinking all afternoon?

Dlamini was an intruder. He had not paid for the use of the amenities he was enjoying.

That shows criminal intent.

He knew what he was doing was wrong, or at least should've known it was wrong.

The fact that he had an altercation with an official shows that the said official took the law into his own hands and dealt with the situation as he deemed proper.

As a law-abiding person can attest, the force used was improper and unnecessary, and needs to be dealt with.

An important point not to miss is WHY this episode occurred in the first place. If Nic had complied in the first place, I doubt things would have escalated to the position they did

Riding on a public road in a park a criminal action?  ... get real. A minute misdemeanor at the most.

I once ended up on the back of a Parks Board bakkie with my bike - Karoo National Park just outside Beaufort Wes. I went for a bike ride after arriving, not knowing it was not allowed, They chased me down, ticked me off, and insisted I get in the back with my bike, which I did and there was no violence or agro, even though I did challenge them as to why it was not allowed.

I hope that Norton Rose Fulbright joining the fray, together with CSA (after their meeting with the different ministries of government and SANParks) will result in increased cycling safety in general in SA. Perhaps this unfortunate incident will become the catalyst for change which is so desperately needed.

I am thinking of Ian McPherson who was murdered while cycling on a SANParks trail, all the muggings, stabbings, bike-jackings etc. on Table Mountain over recent times. It is time something is done to increase awareness, and may this incident be fruitful in that regard. Change begins at the top.

[edit - spelling]

Edited by Robbie Stewart