Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

For those of us whose ancestors managed to read the Groot trek route map and now find ourselves on the proper side of the Orange river but will be visiting soon, which routes require a permit to ride a ROADBIKE on a TAR road ?

Anything behind a boom inside a reserve. With big signs and pictures usually telling you what is allowed and how.

It's not a secret. People here are painting it out to be but in reality, to get into/onto the tar roads that require a permit, you need to pass booms and signs. If done between 7:00 and 19:00, said booms will be manned.

So Silvermine and Cape Point reserve spring to mind.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything behind a boom inside a reserve. With big signs and pictures usually telling you what is allowed and how.

It's not a secret. People here are painting it out to be but in reality, to get into/onto the tar roads that require a permit, you need to pass booms and signs. If done between 7:00 and 19:00, said booms will be manned.

Silvermine ? Is that the road that leads off from the top of Ou Kaapsweg ?

Yes. Remember to bring your passport and get it stamped at the border crossing just after the Hugenot tunnel. You don't need a visa.

Yet.

Says the oke from Hout Bay.......... The only suburb in South Africa that has their own passports!  :whistling:

Says the oke from Hout Bay.......... The only suburb in South Africa that has their own passports!  :whistling:

It's not a suburb. It's a principality. Think of it as Africa's version of Monaco or Andorra. There is a border but the restrictions have been lessened somewhat. Much like the Schengen area in Europe.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It's not a suburb. It's a principality. Think of it as Africa's version of Monaco or Andorra. There is a border but the restrictions have been lessened somewhat. Much like the Schengen area in Europe.

I'm pretty sure there are a few locals who regard themselves as the equivalent Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre Grimaldi as well.......  :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure there are a few locals who regard themselves as the equivalent Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre Grimaldi as well.......  :ph34r:

I had to google who that is.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Yes. Remember to bring your passport and get it stamped at the border crossing just after the Hugenot tunnel. You don't need a visa.

Yet.

If I get a visa can I ride where I want to ?

Either way, we still have Suikerbosrand which is even better than Table mountain and there is no extra fee to cycle. 

Silvermine ? Is that the road that leads off from the top of Ou Kaapsweg ?

Yup... That's the one. 

Where this soap opera was conceived!

So all of this fuss was because Nic rode this 2.4km stretch of road, without showing a permit?

Somehow my mind was picturing a much bigger loop of sorts instead of an up and back section.

Jeepers. 

post-27827-0-18705400-1578997457_thumb.png

post-27827-0-47078000-1578997904_thumb.png

So all of this fuss was because Nic rode this 2.4km stretch of road, without showing a permit?

Somehow my mind was picturing a much bigger loop of sorts instead of an up and back section.

Jeepers. 

YIP!!!

You're making one massive assumption here.

That you always "need" a permit to ride your roadbike here.

I put that in inverted comma's because we all know that according to the rules you need one. BUT, if you look at the strava segment here

https://www.strava.com/segments/7215581

The top 10 is full of roadrides linking this tar section onto their climb up oukaaps, and Matt Beers was the first oke too mention that he uses it for interval training.

NicDlamini does not appear to have a strava profile, but it is very likely that since this is the biggest hill close to where he lives he has ridden this numerous times, without ever being asked for a permit. He might even greet the gate guards by name for all we know.

This could explain why:

*he entered without a permit

*thought you didn't need one

*was surprised when he got knocked from his bike without warning

Total speculation, but it could just be that as it was tourist high season a grootbass was there and wanted to prove a point. Just as it is speculation that he would not have been moered had he just spoken to the rangers nicely. I'm happy to use speculation, when that is all you have to go on, just don't pass it off as fact.

We just don't know, and probably never will now.

Just like it's speculation that he would have been going to Tokyo 2020 to ride this,

20180809-01-01-EN.jpg

I rode Tokai on Sunday. Paid for ninety something bucks for a day ticket and got a tiny little stub of flimsy paper in return. I put it in my back pocket with my phone. After a couple of hours of sweating up that mountain, I stopped to take a picture. When I took my phone out to do that, it had a little ball of sweaty, mushy paper pulp stuck to it. I tried to open it, but it came apart and it might as well been a piece of Rizla paper. Thank goodness nobody stopped me to ask for my permit, because there was no way on earth to prove that I have paid............and nobody broke my arm. :ph34r: