Any Hot sauce lovers around?

Wayne Potgieter

which ones are fruiting?

I tried to grow here but the climate is a little too cool.

Its a bit of a lottery because I acquired a couple of brown bags with seeds in them, but the most interesting looking is this one.

post-1186-0-43644900-1578552414_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit of a lottery because I acquired a couple of brown bags with seeds in them, but the most interesting looking is this one.

i have an app I use for identifying plants that has a 75% probability that this is capsicum chinense or a bonnet pepper.

Could be a varietal of a habanero/scotch bonnet.

Looks nice and healthy.

Looks like it could be a Bishop’s crown.

Try Gaby's Bazza Ku, a nice tasting Peri-Peri sauce, NOT burn your taste buds off hot. 

And support local Durbs guys.

Yessssss

I generally make my own, and hand out / sell to mates just to make back the production cost.

I use primarily red habanero peppers, but would love to try using reapers in future sauces.

And agree with WP. Cannot just be hot or piled with extract (which gives that crap aftertaste) It must be full of flavour.

Has anyone tried Mr Pukkah's habanero sauce? Hot but delicious! My personal favourite though, is my homemade smoked jalapeño with a touch of habanero for added heat. I tried a red savina grown by my FIL recently. Wow! Hot!

Has anyone tried Mr Pukkah's habanero sauce? Hot but delicious! My personal favourite though, is my homemade smoked jalapeño with a touch of habanero for added heat. I tried a red savina grown by my FIL recently. Wow! Hot!

Sounds damn good! Those Red Savina’s are hot.

What method / recipe do you guys use to make your own? I have an unclassified chilli bush that is producing sonnuch fruit I can't keep up

What method / recipe do you guys use to make your own? I have an unclassified chilli bush that is producing sonnuch fruit I can't keep up

The recipe for what I just made is on the first page.

I also make my own. However I grow my own variety of chillis, then make different sauces out of them weather fermented, pickled or salsa. It has since progressed, with quite a bit of people wanting sauce. Now I have to pick a chilli for next season to grow in bulk and make sauce.

The last and current sauce I made was a few weeks ago. I used habeneros which I picked early last year. Left it a couple of weeks then fried it and blended it with some onion and garlic. So basically similar to a fireball hot sauce.

My sister in law makes jam and late last year she gave us a variety. One of them was plum jam. I mixes this with some habenero and tomato sauce to make something really delish.

I make anything, basically requires some inspiration and then I just do my own thing. Good to note as well, even when cooking, I make up my own thing, and never ever taste as I make especially sauces.  Somehow or the other, they always turn out great. Family and friends always say I need to start writing down recipes......

I also make my own. However I grow my own variety of chillis, then make different sauces out of them weather fermented, pickled or salsa. It has since progressed, with quite a bit of people wanting sauce. Now I have to pick a chilli for next season to grow in bulk and make sauce.

The last and current sauce I made was a few weeks ago. I used habeneros which I picked early last year. Left it a couple of weeks then fried it and blended it with some onion and garlic. So basically similar to a fireball hot sauce.

My sister in law makes jam and late last year she gave us a variety. One of them was plum jam. I mixes this with some habenero and tomato sauce to make something really delish.

I spent 4 years in Mozambique recently and started making my own Peri Peri sauces.Yummy.

The local Birds Eye Chillies and Garlic is excellent