SA road championship 2020

Spinnekop

Amazing and best possible location for SA's. Apart from it being extremely hot there which are amazing cycling conditions, I'm sure it will see thousands of supporters along route as Swadini and Hoedspruit are 2 of SA's biggest cycling communities!! Bring it on...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ladies are getting even worse deal, from 113 to 43? Even shorter than the para cyclists ... not going there for an mickey mouse training ride ...

You joking? Ashleigh might decide to do it on a MTB or Fixie then..

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Maybe they are trying to attract entries. I would imagine the number of people willing to travel to Hoedspruit is limited, so reduce the distances to get more people involved.  

Even if they reduced the distances to 3km's it still wont bring Hoedspruit anywhere closer to somewhere, it will remain in the middle of nowhere!

I can only imagine the shortening is because of the expected temperatures.  I have bailed from a race in January in that area due to heat exhaustion (40 deg and high humidity).

Dropping the vets from 148 to 109 km may be an issue but try the 65-69 master men.  Down from a short, flat 74 km to 43! 

Organised cycling in this country really needs someone with communicating skills.  These national and provincial events are so last minute and so poorly communicated that it is not surprising that so few cyclists support them.  Even with the vast improvement in the organisation of the events (here at least) the low numbers leave you feeling that you have attended a school sports day.

in 2018 the SA's was in Oudtshoorn.  Similar weather as Hoedspruit, perhaps less RH.  Distances were planned properly from the onset, and comms was good.

Even if they reduced the distances to 3km's it still wont bring Hoedspruit anywhere closer to somewhere, it will remain in the middle of nowhere!

Not even the middle

I totally agree that changing everything last minute and that has an impact with the training done with regard to distances etc.

Therefore it is obvious that CSA cannot plan or complicate ahead of an event and that is the main problem.

The issue here is the maximum distances allowed according to the UCI rules and the change is purely based on the poor planning in terms of the area and route they chose because the laps they are using are too long and that is why there is such a drastic change when a lap is reduced.

UCI rule: 14.4.004 for master for example as attached.

post-43924-0-30746900-1579686680_thumb.jpg

I totally agree that changing everything last minute and that has an impact with the training done with regard to distances etc.

Therefore it is obvious that CSA cannot plan or complicate ahead of an event and that is the main problem.

The issue here is the maximum distances allowed according to the UCI rules and the change is purely based on the poor planning in terms of the area and route they chose because the laps they are using are too long and that is why there is such a drastic change when a lap is reduced.

You nailed it

in 2018 the SA's was in Oudtshoorn.  Similar weather as Hoedspruit, perhaps less RH.  Distances were planned properly from the onset, and comms was good.

Agreed!  Even the prize giving took place at the scheduled time.  

I used to sail and after each Nationals the organising body and club representatives sat down and scheduled the next years event.  You knew who was hosting, what date and where it was going to be a whole year in advance.

Does this mean the maximum distance for any 30+ race is 120km?

☝️that seems to be the case, and that neither CSA nor the veterans knew ????‍♂️

120km seems about normal, it is the 80km max for masters that looks too short.

Edited by Christie

Or it could attract some of the locals. Maybe the army has a few cyclists.