More suitable bike for heavier guys

AMid

Hey AMid

I’m the same dimensions as you. I had the same issues with a Momsen frame. Had three warranty replacements till I moved to another brand. I would suggest the same as the other guys wrt seat post or faulty frames. No other bike has cracked since.

I'm 1.96 and 106kg at the moment and am riding a 2019 Giant Anthem XL. I think they have solved that seat post cracking issue. 1 main reason I will stay with Giant is because of their warrantee,best in the SA industry IMO. One thing that may help is a zero offset seatpost, will put a bit less leverage on the post and frame. Giant have a 27.2 post diameter so getting a dropper isn't easy, you may have to consider a Giant dropper made for their frames.

Edited by quintonb

even XXL actually

true...depending on the brand. for guys our length ive noticed that Trek, Spaz, and some of the botique brands like Santa Cruz etc run smaller than others. Basically if they offer an 2XL or XXL imo it means they run small and their xl is closer to L in other bigger (like giant) brands. 

that reminds me....Rocky Mountain should just make kids bikes with their sizing :P 

Edited by morneS555

105kgs, 194cm, 2013 giant anthem with a lyne dropper. Was about 112kgs at some stage on the bike.

Haven't had any issues personally but there was an acknowledgement on a design fault from Giant re the anthem and your specific issue.

Hi Madbradd, my first frame that went was a 2013 anthem, the warranty frame issued then was a 2017 which has now cracked as well....so ya, I'd rather move away from the brand entirely then risk a broken frame at 60km per hour on a gravel road ????????????????....I can think of more fun things to do ????

I'm also solidly in the triple figures and quite tall but I haven't managed to break a frame at the seattube junction. I've had frame crack on the toptube (and repaired after an "interesting" ride home), near suspension pivots and at the rear dropout. I did manage to break a USE seatpost and I think the bushings on my dropper post has a hard life...

I think most "normal" bikes should be fine but you should try to avoid superlight bikes and forks with 32 mm stanchions. My previous Fox 32 with 130 mm of travel just couldn't keep up.

I think most "normal" bikes should be fine but you should try to avoid superlight bikes and forks with 32 mm stanchions. My previous Fox 32 with 130 mm of travel just couldn't keep up.

Yeah, my bike has 150mm travel on 32mm stanchions, it works alright at the moment because I am so slow, but even so, it is pretty flexy

Ya that really is the bikes fault. The design looks weak and is weak. Most frames are visibly reinforced at the seat tube/top tube junction, the Anthem not so much. I am also tall but only 188cm and I battle with sizing...

I have broken a couple of frames, one was a road bike frame, that broke between the headtube and downtube(dont ask, a roadie is not a trick bike). A few years ago I managed to break a Kona Tanuki DL on the seat tube as well. It was a 140mm trail bike and a decent weight. I have since moved on to enduro bikes. They a bit heavier, so a bit robust as well as per what they meant to be done with.  I am 188cm and also over 100kg

My 2c worth - I have owned Trek and Specialized, currently have a Cannondale Rush, a single speed build on a Momsen STR29 and a Silverback double scoop fat bike.  I weigh in at anything from 105 to 125 kg over the years, depending on the status of my food addiction.  :devil: .  I am also an ex track rider and power lifter, so I tend to put a lot of power into the frames - not that my power to weight ratio is brilliant, just that I have to pedal hard to get my fat ass up the hills, but it does mean that I go like hell on the downhills and put a lot of stress into the bikes like that. :blush:

I have not had frame issues with any of them, but wheel issues are a common problem.  I have found Mavic and Roval rims to be fantastic, even when I am hammering downhills on a hardtail.  My dual suspension Cannondale has a set of Kore Realm 27.5 internal width hoops and they have taken a lot of abuse without any issues at all.  My advice to you would be make sure that the wheels are at least 32 spoke and have a decent weight rating (Check this on the wheel manufacturers website before buying a new bike, quite a few of the well known rims max out at 90kg rider weight, or 105kg all up weight, including the bike).

You can also get a good robust wheel set from Nick Krul at wheelbuilder.co.za (Nickthewheelbuilder on this forum, I think?) - he understands us larger guys and the challenges we bring to MTB, he also has a good price range on wheel sets.

The custom Kore Realm mentioned earlier was a budget wheel set, built on shimano XT hubs.  I have done over 6000km on them without even having to true them.  The original rims on the Cannondale lasted less than 2000km, before terminally pancaking after breaking spokes on 3 previous occasions.

Of course, if your goal is overall fitness and fun, not being a race snake, the Silverback fatbike has a wheel weight limit of 200kg, with the 80mm width rims and 4" tyres.  My fatbike is my "go to" training machine, it seems to be nearly indestructible.

I hope this helps a bit - I agree with the earlier comments that any decent modern frame with enough of the seat post in the frame should be fine, just watch out for the wheels!

I second Mavic but they just struggle with support from the agents if something does go wrong. My CrossRides has over 20 000km on them at present and I have only had to replace the rear axle and a spoke due to the previous owner being a bit hard on them  :thumbup:. You can also add Eastons to you list of decent wheels but again the support lacks here in SA  :whistling:

I currently ride some cobalt 2's and sho sho sho! I love them, they do have a weight limit of a 100kg I think but ya, they only have 22 spokes  :eek:

Snip