Lights for the dark mornings

lizaanleroux

Plus one for the Flare. Highly visible from a long way away even in the daylight. Great battery life too. Don't leave home without it!

have to agree on the Bontrager lights, I have the Flare R and it's awesome.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using two versions of the Ravemen lights for a while and very happy with them.

Use the PR1600 with wireless remote for my trail riding and the combo for my road riding.

One one lens on the PR1600 and the lens on the front light in the combo are diffused at the top of the beam so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

Also light that both front lights have remotes (wireless and wired respectively) as you can change settings without having to touch the light.

https://www.takealot.com/ravemen-pr1600-front-bike-light-with-wireless-remote/PLID55544415

https://www.takealot.com/ravemen-ls-ct01-bike-light-combo-set/PLID54518920

• 4 years later...

I have just replaced my Flare RT rechargeable battery with a much bigger capacity battery.  The one supplied is only 420mAh.  I use this Bluetooth connected light Flare and it  now lasts for weeks on auto. Cost ..... R80.

Lezyn front light also has a small capacity battery and this was replaced at the same time.  Definitely worth it.

Thought I would just put it out there as most light batteries are replaceable.

Edited by Sepia

Did you replace it yourself? Where did you source batteries from?

I know there are companies offering battery repacks (mostly focussing on cordless tools, etc.). 

FWIW, on last weekend's early morning ride, with a friend, his light made mine (Marvel) look like a single candle struggling in the wind. I'm definitely sold on the Extreme Lights capability and battery life, and will look to get one sooner than later.

4 hours ago, Sepia said:

I have just replaced my Flare RT rechargeable battery with a much bigger capacity battery.  The one supplied is only 420mAh.  I use this Bluetooth connected light Flare and it  now lasts for weeks on auto. Cost ..... R80.

Lezyn front light also has a small capacity battery and this was replaced at the same time.  Definitely worth it.

Yep. Since replacing my Garmin battery, I’ve been meaning to replace my Lezyne front light battery. It only lasts around 60 minutes on full power, usually not a problem when I’m in the bunch for most of the ride as I just turn it down to half power, but the other day I pulled the bunch for most of the ride, so had it on full, heading home it ran out of juice, so I had minimal light for the last few km. 

6 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Careful out there okes. 

Ja I had a nightmare last night that showed just how much the car situation is playing on my mind.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:29 PM, Sepia said:

Any chance you could give more info on this? Would love to increase the capacity of my lights. 

3 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

Any chance you could give more info on this? Would love to increase the capacity of my lights. 

On the Flare I used petrol on a small art brush on the visible joint and opened it gently.  It just comes apart the same way to open a glued cell phone is opened. The whole inside workings are removable.  I cut the wires and soldered a small sized battery (different capacity batteries are available) obtained from a toy supply shop, Gopro copter thingies use them. There is not much space inside the Flare, not like the Lysyne where a much bigger battery size wise can fit. The flexible end wire bit of the battery can be bent over to allow a smaller size. Soldered and used heatshrink. Glued it back together with epoxy.

No pics of the process but very simple.  Batteries are cheap next to a replacement Flare! 

I have an Extreme Light as well as a bunch of other external battery lights, but wanted something for road use - I always ride with a flashing light and my daughter too (she’s 9). Sometimes we head out for a ride and stop for coffee/hot chocolate and it’s dark by the time we get home. So I have lights mounted on the bikes permanently, just in case. I have gone through a number of different budget-friendly small lights for this purpose. 

Bought two of these a few months ago and they are incredible lights for the money. The battery lasts amazingly well, the light is crisp and clear and the mount is solid. Button shows state of charge (green ring that diminishes as the batteries deplete) and it has a side red light for cars to see you from the side. Charges with USB-C. Various modes. 

Very small money for what you get and I highly recommend. Extremely happy with them. They are not super lightweight but I don’t care - they work. 

https://www.rookiesports.co.za/product/fluir-elite-1000lm-front-bicycle-light-usb-c-rechargeable/

As an alternative, depending on use ... what's your thoughts on running dynamo lights. For me it's been a no-brainer, no charging, no running out of batteries etc. It's been a pleasure. 

The "Shutter Precision (PD-8X)" dynamo brand is quite affordable, the "SON" brand a bit more, but the "SON" is advertised as self-serviceable. The SP not, but I've seen videos of guys doing it themselves.

I had about 12000km on the "Shutter precision" before the bearings needed replacement, .... it's still waiting for me to be replaced as it's going to be a do-it-yourself job, but fitted another SP in the meantime.

The 12K was mainly road mileage, with a little bit of gravel, don't know how it will fare under MTB trail conditions?

The additional wattage loss on the dynamo is negligible, maybe 6-15W. The convenience that it brings is just great though. 

(In the rear I run a "Cygolite Hotshot" which lasts for days too.)😉

Edited by EddieV

I’ve been running a SON 28 since 2007. At the time I got it, matched to a Schmidt E3 halogen light, it was state of the art in randonneuring circles. Incidentally, Johan Bornmann built the wheel, using a DRC rim. 
About 12 years ago, I changed the headlight to a Lumotec IQ Cyo LED  and added a Lumotec Seculight LED taillight. This setup is still in regular use.

Apparently the drag when switched on is equivalent to about half a kilometre an hour on an uphill. 
Although comprehensively outgunned for sheer light output by even  cheap battery LED designs these days, my setup compensates with clever lens design that throws a clearly defined near-rectangular light patch exactly where it’s needed - on the road. 
There’s also a standlight function: when you’re stopped, for example at a traffic light, a capacitor keeps the bike lights  lit for a while. 
I really missed that fuss-free operation this evening. The battery headlight I used was great, though I needed Medium to be able to dodge potholes in Centurion’s darker back streets. But the (admittedly partly discharged) USB-charged taillight just died after about an hour, even in flash mode. 
PS I  do have a soft spot for that original Schmidt E3 headlight. What it  lacks in output (a 6V halogen … come on)  it makes up for in a more natural light temperature that seems to make road features more easily identifiable . One day I ought to take it out of mothballs. There’s even a spare bulb…

Edited by pbp2007
Fixed a literal.

I have been running a Son Hub for many years now working through a Cyclec local controller and the Led front light.  Although not really bright enough to dodge potholes at speed, it is certainly bright enough for all other uses, including charging phone and batteries. 

The only time I feel the resistance is if I spin the wheel by hand so it is negatable for me

Absolute game changer.  Use the USB to recharge and the batteries are always full. with the charger and new fitted batteries I am able to run through the night on bright power.