Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

bikes in my car to the start

alu roadbike with 700c wheels

carbon "mtb" with 20" wheels.

pretty standard combo really.

I saw Nils from Woodstock Cycle works at the finish. he did it on an equally irresponsbile kids bike.

image.png.37fabccd10875f949875c26da7f74ef3.png

Yep this is the bike i saw going past me up Chappies, I have sent a complaint to CTCT and PPA to disqualify you for the "TT" type, rest bars on the front, those are illegal 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Did I miss the picture of the bmx of @Jewbacca?

It was a 20” carbon? momsen kids bike, with some 80mm risers i gave him and a seatpost that allowed him to ride it like a grown up haha. It had gears though so some @Jewbacca points deducted there. Still, he went fast. He passed me while I was admiring the view in misty cliffs. We had a quick fist pump and then he continued sprinting lol. He wasnt cruising at all. The guy I was chatting to at the time laughed…i told him he did it on a bmx last year and he was gobsmacked haha. 

Edited by MORNE

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

It was a 20” carbon? momsen kids bike, with some 80mm risers i gave him and a seatpost that allowed him to ride it like a grown up haha. It had gears though so some @Jewbacca points deducted there. Still, he went fast. He passed me while I was admiring the view in misty cliffs. We had s quick fist pump and then ge continued sprinting lol. He wasnt cruising at all. 

Awesome!

Not even an e-bike will get me that time with my current fitness.

Respect!

58 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.e2c8958e8b7ba4ec919a8be194aadb9e.png

here we have our ebike racer leader board.

well done to the gent in his late 60s who punished the course from 2D. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ebike is not street legal.

hardlines to the chap from 1B who must have been desperately looking to buy some spare Wh in houtbay getting that sub3 from group1B

only just over a minute slower than Nolan and I'm sure alot less of a bunch to work with.. Shew

Was lucky to start in @ bunch (didn't finish with them though ????). We were only about 70 riders. What a pleasure to do the 1st 10K of the CTCT not smelling burning rubber, panicked braking and generally fearing for your life in a chaotic bunch with too much testosterone and too little common sense - despite not having a a particular good "race" on the day that is the one big positive that stood out for me.

Selfishly I would not mind if they limit the number of entrants every year to be below 20K and have smaller & manageable bunches, would make for a far more enjoyable experience for all participants.

1 hour ago, Karman de Lange said:

What I find interesting is that they said they had 18k entries at end of the day... so that means 6k entries did not finish.. 

Think is once again someone not able to count ????

The E shute was still stuff up at 5E .. we were 20 minutes early and almost got stopped.  they people even pulled the ropes "through" us..  properly pathetic, but did not expect anything else.  

We manged our goal though,, get my wifey over the line (her first and last).   We all actually said how nice was with so few people on road, no agro shouting, no crashes (except for one guy not making corner, hope he ok).    And of course cuold not ask for any better weather!

We were right at the back of 5E, only realised afterwards had we been 5 min later we would have missed the group.

the Marshals at E we’re definitely useless. 3 guys from 6D almost talked there way into starting with 5E, took them way too long to figure it out

Started in 1c. Thought the start procedure was the best/smoothest experience of my handful of cycle tour starts. Also number collection was so smooth and easy. Definitely revenue loss there.

My time is not showing on racetec, anyone know how long it normally takes for racetec to finalize? Garmin has me at 2:59 with some change so really hoping for some good news! 

3 minutes ago, Jono said:

Started in 1c. Thought the start procedure was the best/smoothest experience of my handful of cycle tour starts. Also number collection was so smooth and easy. Definitely revenue loss there.

My time is not showing on racetec, anyone know how long it normally takes for racetec to finalize? Garmin has me at 2:59 with some change so really hoping for some good news! 

Most results are up long ago, yesterday already actually. What you can do is mail racetec, Perhaps your chip never picked up at the end, They will just ask you to send them your Garmin file, they can also cross reference usually with photos at the finish. Good Luck

41 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.e2c8958e8b7ba4ec919a8be194aadb9e.png

here we have our ebike racer leader board.

well done to the gent in his late 60s who punished the course from 2D. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ebike is not street legal.

The fastest e-bike is nearly faster than the winner! I am not sure if that is what the tour is about.

For my money, the simplest and most effective way of controlling e-bikes, is to limit the weight of the batteries:

• Set a max kg limit for all batteries, including spares and swaps to be used during the tour.
  • All batteries and spare batteries to be carried at the start. No swaps with outside parties or other competitors nor re-charging permitted on the route.
  • Have scrutineering at the Expo. Weigh all the batteries and put a signed sticker/seal on each battery together with the competitors number. (You don't even need to look at the e-bikes).
  • All batteries to be shown at the start, with seals. If you have a battery in your e-bike at any stage of the race that does not have your seal on it, you get penalized.

This will work until the likes new battery technologies become commercially viable. No need to try and police the legality of controller software.

(Many of the e-bike riders who passed me were wearing heavy back packs ????)

I had a lekker ride yesterday. Perfect weather, lovely view, I did not see any crashes or riders getting medical attention, and unlike last year, the e-bikes did not interfere with my ride. ????

I have a (much younger) cousin who rides for one of the professional teams, so I knew he would ride a blistering time. All fine..............until my own son (rethinking my will) pointed out that N could have done it exactly twice in the same time it took me yesterday............. ????

There we go!

To make the seatost almost long enough for me to sit and pedal I made a 20cm long insert, and epoxied 13cm into a 400m long seat tube and 7cm into a 20mm off cut of another seat tube. It worked like a charm except on the climbs where the combination of being just to short, the 145mm cranks and the fact that the 20 inch wheels carry almost no inertia meant it was easier to stand. 

I got a few epic tows and had such a blast.

After not being able to sit at all last year I was not going to do that again in a hurry!

Next up on the mini beast is a gravel gran fondo or some such as well as hopefully one of those cross cape or 500 series gravel tour rides. I'm going to kit it out with some frame bags.

ctct2021.jpg

ctct2021.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There we go!

To make the seatost almost long enough for me to sit and pedal I made a 20cm long insert, and epoxied 13cm into a 400m long seat tube and 7cm into a 20mm off cut of another seat tube. It worked like a charm except on the climbs where the combination of being just to short, the 145mm cranks and the fact that the 20 inch wheels carry almost no inertia meant it was easier to stand. 

After not being able to sit at all last year I was not going to do that again in a hurry!

Next up on the mini beast is a gravel gran fondo or some such as well as hopefully one of those cross cape or 500 series gravel tour rides. I'm going to kit it out with some frame bags.

ctct2021.jpg

ctct2021.jpeg

That you do this provokes some seriously ambivalent feelings about my pride in my emonda with deep section dark horse rims, 28mm contis and ultegra groupset. 

Thank you so much, God was good. Really appreciate the support. Everything worked out perfectly on the day and am super stoked about the result. Thank you for all the well wishes.

P.s. I'm currently speaking to Cory Wallace from Canada and it seems like we going to team up for the Epic. He is currently the world 24hr World MTB champ so defnietly a powerhouse. Really looking forward to the challenge. I however might need some support covering a portion of the cost and will share details later. So if anyone are able to assist, I'll really appreciate it.

Well done to everyone finishing the CTCT and those that have improved there PB's as well as those that just did it for the first time. On the 2nd lap I started really late after doping control and podium ceremony. Only caught the back markers after Simonstown, Huge respect to them, as it was basically each person for him self and definitely not an easy day out for most of the field. 

Thanks again for all the messages and well wishes. You're all legends. 

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There we go!

ctct2021.jpg

ctct2021.jpeg

Made my day! Thanks.

Good looking bike, ripper, negative stem and all.

Frame bag, wat are you going to carry, halve of sarmie.