Who of you are thinking about buying a gravel bike?

FloatingPivot

If you were looking for a Gravel bike, now is the time I see, Cycle Lab / CWC has gravel bikes on sale at HUGE discounts, in fact, loads of bikes on sale in their LockDown sale, Merida Silex 400 down a whopping R10 000.00 and the Silex 6000+ Carbon R16 0000.00!

Go get em!

im really considering it because ive started enjoying the road riding i do with the wife on the mtb. She also prefers riding jeep track type offroad stuff more but she doesn't mind singletrack either. She'll never be a 'trail' rider though.

But I get annoyed when we hit the speed limit of what a 1x mtb can do. its like being stuk in 2nd or 3rd gear...i want to go up to 6 or 7 when i can.

I Dont think i'll ever buy a full onroad bike ever again (never say never i guess)...we enjoy riding offroad too much....so to me a gravel bike might just be the perfect compromise. if my mtb frame could take a front ring bigger than 34T....I would have done that by now. but thats the downfall of boost spacing. it limits the front ring size because it assumes you'd like a plus size tire in the rear....amongst other things.  ideally i would want 36 or even 38T up front. i'm still on a 36T cassette so i'm not to bothered on that side. I almost never hit 36T in the rear...and i can always go bigger in the rear for more granny love.

maybe i should ask Mr Mercer to mod the chainstay (steel frame) in the back so i can get a 36 or 38T n/w on there haha...

i feel the need....the need for speed lol

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were looking for a Gravel bike, now is the time I see, Cycle Lab / CWC has gravel bikes on sale at HUGE discounts, in fact, loads of bikes on sale in their LockDown sale, Merida Silex 400 down a whopping R10 000.00 and the Silex 6000+ Carbon R16 0000.00! 

Me, when hte time comes to get a new roadie (if ever)

The idea of a more capable road bike that doesn't shirk away from a little bit of dirt is intriguing, and I'd far rather spend money on that than a dedicated roadie-only bike. 

40 / 45c tyres, disc brakes & drop bars. Lekka. 

Yes, When I look at the 7 bikes in my bike room and contemplate the fact that I only ride one of them on a regular basis I realise that there is an empty space in my heart for a gravel bike. 

We all need to be respectful of the fact that various in depth studies conducted by some of the top brains in the world have proven without a shadow of a doubt that you cannot own too many bicycles. It is not possible.  

So instead of replying on each of you guys post, I thought id just share it here, Cycle lab and I see CWC as well, have Gravel bikes on HUGE sale If you were looking for a Gravel bike, in fact, loads of bikes on sale in their LockDown sale, Merida Silex 400 down a whopping R10 000.00 and the Silex 6000+ Carbon R16 0000.00!

Think I am going for the Silex 6000+ way more bike than I need but damn its a steal!

• 1 month later...

1.jpg

If you put drop bars on a hard tail mountain bike, would it be a bad thing ?

EDIT:

Not mine - but taken from the net as I am considering this.

For me it depends on the angle of the top tube - it must look road bikey like this one - but that’s just a personal preference

No , not . Plenty of builds like that .

Surely one needs thinner tires and higher gearing to do justice to the concept of a gravel bike (?)

I have often looked at my 27,5 commuter .... it may just make a nice gravel bike .... but it is actually a significant project, to do it properly ....

For me it depends on the angle of the top tube - it must look road bikey like this one - but that’s just a personal preference

Agreed... 

Those monster cross builds where guys have used 29er frames with sloping top tubes and a 470mm (or longer) suspension corrected fork with all the clearance for 12 tractor tires just look wrong and due to the angles also ride like a mountain bike/

Use a 26er rigid fork on an MTB frame. 

It pulls the Geo more in line with a drop bar bike and will look less kooky.

Otherwise I have a 52cm Cotic Escapade frame plus bits someone can buy if they are short and want to play.

Edited by Jewbacca

Agreed...

Those monster cross builds where guys have used 29er frames with sloping top tubes and a 470mm (or longer) suspension corrected fork with all the clearance for 12 tractor tires just look wrong and due to the angles also ride like a mountain bike/

Use a 26er rigid fork on an MTB frame.

It pulls the Geo more in line with a drop bar bike and will look less kooky.

Otherwise I have a 52cm Cotic Escapade frame plus bits someone can buy if they are short and want to play.

Using a 26" rigid fork on my steel 29" MTB framed gravel bike definitely makes it look better and has improved the ride (the last bit might be a bit subjective though?) Edited by NotSoBigBen

Using a 26" rigid fork on my steel 29" MTB framed gravel bike definitely makes it like better and has improved the ride (the last bit might be a bit subjective though?)

hahahaha beauty is always subjective. But slack angles and loads of clearance with drop bars looks kooky to me.

I've built some incredibly ugly bikes in the past and loved them. Much the same way I'm sure my wife loves me.

Things don't always have to be pretty to enjoy riding them

But is there space for front suspension on a gravel bike (Lauff excluded)

Or asked another way ... put thinner tyres and drop bars on a normal hardtail?

oh and another thing - seems Momsen's GP300's are for sale in the classifieds. In a world half full I presume this would be to upgrade to something more carbon like?

One thing to consider is 50 is the new 40 - tyre width - in gravel bikes. At least the tyre manufacturers would have us believe this...

Edited by Fat Boab

One thing to consider is 50 is the new 40 - tyre width - in gravel bikes. At least the tyre manufacturers would have us believe this...

So by the time I put narrow tires on my 27.5, they will be back to what I currently use ....

Seems I just need to work on the top end gearing ...

I knew I should have just stayed away from this thread, I was quite happy locked in my house with my road and Mtb...now that’s not the story.

How many of you guys ride in or around Pretoria area?

Are there many events in Gauteng that cater for Gravel bikes? I know race to the sun and one of the 100 miler events