Who of you are thinking about buying a gravel bike?

FloatingPivot

My gravel bike on my way to the start of the CTCT on Sunday . Maxxis Ramblers 43's on , was considering buying a set of 35/38C road tyres but did not want to spend that for one tar event per year . Had a fantastic ride , nice gearing for and old man , good grip , hydraulic discs and no worries about punctures . On our dirt roads I sometimes long for a shock and I have a Lauff on the shelf but that will spoil a beautiful bike ?

post-62084-0-99775000-1583989094_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Big 7 XT Edition as my commuter.

Nice thin tires (thin in MTB terms) works nicely.

Even with the front fork semi locked it has just enough travel to soak up the road surface, without loosing too much energy

If I was doing longer distances I would change the 3x to a 2x with a larger ring in front, to get more top speed.

These 650B bikes are not the flavour of the month, and dirt cheap to pick up.  Nice tires, right gearing, and you have a very nice dual purpose bike.

Lekker. I have the XO edition. Just had the XO logos removed at CBR, since I am running an mostly XT groupset. and my OCD wouldn't allow me to ride the frame like that :ph34r:

I currently have WTB Frequency I-23 wrapped in 2.25 Onza Ibex/Cannis with a 34 oval on a 11-50 cassette on the bike. Spin out at about 45km/h on the tar road, and maybe 60km\h if I tuck on the descends. . Was thinking of going 2 x 10, with a road bike shift/brake levers and a dropped handlebar, putting slicks on and swapping my hydraulic brakes for mechanical to be able to use road bike shifters.

Rocking a 100mm Sid XX up front, tempted to swop it for a fixed fork. The peeps at CBR said they can maybe hook me up with a set of carbon forks.

Just wondering if I can fit 700c tyres on the bike or if I should stick to just 650b slicks. Cant keep up with my mate on his road bike with my current setup at all

Lekker. I have the XO edition. Just had the XO logos removed at CBR, since I am running an mostly XT groupset. and my OCD wouldn't allow me to ride the frame like that :ph34r:

I currently have WTB Frequency I-23 wrapped in 2.25 Onza Ibex/Cannis with a 34 oval on a 11-50 cassette on the bike. Spin out at about 45km/h on the tar road, and maybe 60km\h if I tuck on the descends. . Was thinking of going 2 x 10, with a road bike shift/brake levers and a dropped handlebar, putting slicks on and swapping my hydraulic brakes for mechanical to be able to use road bike shifters.

Rocking a 100mm Sid XX up front, tempted to swop it for a fixed fork. The peeps at CBR said they can maybe hook me up with a set of carbon forks.

Just wondering if I can fit 700c tyres on the bike or if I should stick to just 650b slicks. Cant keep up with my mate on his road bike with my current setup at all

Judging from your current tyre size, you should be able to fit a 700c wheel with 40-45c tyres. I would definitely borrow a set from someone to check first though... Edited by Grease_Monkey

i read 'think... buy... bike...' so i thought 'of course!! why not' N+1 naturally

then i saw that it was a gravel bike... my Canyon Endurace can take 32c knobblies, so kinda gravely, but changing tyres is a PITA, and 32c is pretty sketchy, so built up a Farr cromo frame. 43c loveliness.

My gravel bike on my way to the start of the CTCT on Sunday . Maxxis Ramblers 43's on , was considering buying a set of 35/38C road tyres but did not want to spend that for one tar event per year . Had a fantastic ride , nice gearing for and old man , good grip , hydraulic discs and no worries about punctures . On our dirt roads I sometimes long for a shock and I have a Lauff on the shelf but that will spoil a beautiful bike ?

This is such a horrible bike. It cannot be worth much!

I think you should give it away .... I will take it off your hands and turn it into some decent :whistling: *comic sans font*

Lovely bike. How does it compare (if at all) to the FARR steel bike?

Lovely bike. How does it compare (if at all) to the FARR steel bike?

Thanks . The difference in price is much more than the difference in performance . My riding does not justify the Lynskey but sold my road bike and the FARR frame so justified it to myself . It is a nice to have.

beautiful bike

A lauf spoils nothing and just makes life sweeter - have it painted

Hi, you could always send that Lauf fork up north!

Really nice bike!

One day I will also own a TI bike.

So... how many of you are running Shimano GRX? Any reviews or comments?

I'm too poor.

I have SRAM force 10 speed Sti's with a clutch XO rd and Juin Tech hydro/cable pull calipers. 

Works like a dream and stops on a dime.

The GRX stuff came in at a pretty high price point for what it is. I would love to be able to afford it though. The hoods look like action figures with helmets on from the side but plush and comfy compared to road hoods.

I'm too poor.

I have SRAM force 10 speed Sti's with a clutch XO rd and Juin Tech hydro/cable pull calipers. 

Works like a dream and stops on a dime.

The GRX stuff came in at a pretty high price point for what it is. I would love to be able to afford it though. The hoods look like action figures with helmets on from the side but plush and comfy compared to road hoods.

better gearing than a BMX some might say