Who of you are thinking about buying a gravel bike?

FloatingPivot

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely one needs thinner tires and higher gearing to do justice to the concept of a gravel bike (?)

I have often looked at my 27,5 commuter .... it may just make a nice gravel bike .... but it is actually a significant project, to do it properly ....

Not at all.

I've been watching gravel bike stuff all lockdown, and the variety out there is vast.

Some running 700 x 35 (or narrower) and some running 2.25 MTB rubber for example. Its extremely broad, it actually seems to be a "whatever you want it to be" category and the conditions and terrain tend to determine the build.

I have 2 sets of wheels ... The ones in the previous photo have 42mm gravel tyres mounted and I used those at SouthXSouthEast, this set has 38mm slicks (not tubeless but I run them tubeless) and I use them for most rides!

Often ride out to Vaal Marina and back (+-200k's) on these, mostly gravel roads and they work a charm! 12 000+ kilometres on this bike as a gravel bike, used it as a single speed rigid before that...

22d78621e30f275e3358ca8ca2904310.jpg

That race hurt, and not the good kind!

Well this is a ****** in my life.

I asked Spez Ireland if they were expecting a 2021 model less than a month ago and they're currently building me a bike with the spec I want, but it costs extra because I wanted GRX, and guess what.....

The exact spec they're building me on an old frame and its CHEAPER!:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/diverge-comp-carbon/p/175285?color=290924-175285&searchText=96220-5249

:thumbdown:  :excl:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing: 

Are there many events in Gauteng that cater for Gravel bikes? I know race to the sun and one of the 100 miler events

SxSE

Edit: credit to Kim Ludbrook for his stunning photo.

post-50-0-33370200-1588874551_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy

Well this is a ****** in my life.

I asked Spez Ireland if they were expecting a 2021 model less than a month ago and they're currently building me a bike with the spec I want, but it costs extra because I wanted GRX, and guess what.....

The exact spec they're building me on an old frame and its CHEAPER!:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/diverge-comp-carbon/p/175285?color=290924-175285&searchText=96220-5249

:thumbdown:  :excl:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing: 

I also built a gravel bike a month ago, all good, but then Spec has started a lock down special with the Diverges discounted by 40% or so. The comp carbon with Ultegra is now R35k instead of R58k. Good luck to anyone trying to sell gravel bikes second hand when the new ones are far cheaper.

I also built a gravel bike a month ago, all good, but then Spec has started a lock down special with the Diverges discounted by 40% or so. The comp carbon with Ultegra is now R35k instead of R58k. Good luck to anyone trying to sell gravel bikes second hand when the new ones are far cheaper.

ja but then your friends at the club will laugh at you whilst drinking craft gin because you have the 2019 model and they have the 2021 Covid special.  

yip

Definitely did last year's with mine no problem! Those long tar miles towards the end also pass pretty quick but you'll be dragging lots of flat bar riders along...

ja but then your friends at the club will laugh at you whilst drinking craft gin because you have the 2019 model and they have the 2021 Covid special.  

where is this club exactly with juniper based refreshments?

asking for a friend?