Lockdown lessons

hansolo

This is why we can't have alcohol.

Anyway. Totally OT, Chris, but are you Maritz Electrical?

Nope.  Though my initial artisan training included electrical, I never did my wiremans.  Actually a fridge-mechie by trade.  Later studied and been doing HVAC and Fire layout designs for the last 13 years.

My neighbour (Maritz's dad, old school buddy) is a sparky, but a different company.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way PnP here by us have sanitiser in stock again all different size bottles etc and not marked up crazy.. I got some small bottles that I can refill with the sanitiser I bought ages ago..suspect come back to school time it will probably be wise for them to have their own as the school didn't even manage soap in the bathrooms before school was closed, so I am not counting on them to provide the necessary products in classes and bathrooms... so I basically just bought it for the pocket size bottles.

Takealot also have disposable face marks..which are seriously over priced.

Nope.  Though my initial artisan training included electrical, I never did my wiremans.  Actually a fridge-mechie by trade.  Later studied and been doing HVAC and Fire layout designs for the last 13 years.

My neighbour (Maritz's dad, old school buddy) is a sparky, but a different company.

Rad. I rode past a ME sign yesterday and wondered, given the love you obviously have for your nephew. 

Takes the ladder. Climbs onto the roof. Hands on hips ,looks at the installation. Then shakes his head and makes a blowing noise with his lips.Pointing at your setup . "Who the hell did this?" 

Edited by Blokman

One of the reasons suppose. People also have more disposable income and the logistics centers can focus on essential items.

We can't have alcohol because it taxes hospitals. It's as simple as that.

Takes the ladder. Climbs onto the roof. Hands on hips ,looks at the installation. Then shakes his head and makes a blowing noise with his lips.Pointing at your setup . "Who the hell did this?" 

Sounds like you know the dril.  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Last few years I have been doing mostly fire engineering though ... 

We can't have alcohol because it taxes hospitals. It's as simple as that.

Binge drinking is fairly normal in South Africa.

An acceptable way of living and socializing

Binge drinking also deteriorates the immune system.

???? ????

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and affects different areas of the brain at different rates. The first area it acts on is the prefrontal cortex which is crucial in decision making and impulse control. The result is more emotionally driven behaviour playing itself out in the context of impaired decision making.

Risk of accident / injury / aggression / generally risky behaviour goes up and so burden on trauma rooms is enormous. Ask any doctor on call in the A and E what a weekend near payday is like.

So maybe one lesson from this lockdown is that we will put alcohol in its porper place and stop using the revenue streams it creates to fetishise a drug that costs lives and probably about as much in health consequences as it creates in taxes. Would be interesting to see how that equation balances actually.

Edited by Mamil

Binge drinking is fairly normal in South Africa.

An acceptable way of living and socializing

Binge drinking also deteriorates the immune system.

Yup. Buying a six pack is often easier than having a deep dive into your own psyche. It's an escape from the mundane, a distraction from the voices and a short-term antidote to the stresses at work / home. 

The binge allows an escape, at the expense of self-awareness. 

Yup. Buying a six pack is often easier than having a deep dive into your own psyche. It's an escape from the mundane, a distraction from the voices and a short-term antidote to the stresses at work / home. 

The binge allows an escape, at the expense of self-awareness. 

It is also glorified. The 'manne' all down beers and the bro's cheer and everyone is cool.

The culture we have in SA around alcohol is frightening. You're weird if you don't drink, cool if you drink too  much and absolutely the dogs bollocks if you do really dumb stuff while off your face in front of the boys.

Don't get me started on the drunk hookup culture....

In the poorer/less fortunate demographic it is even more crazy. 

Almost nothing good comes from drinking in excess. I used to be a 'bro', but I managed to change and don't probably have 5 beers a year. 

It's not something I long for and any amount of alcohol leaves me severely hungover, so it's an easy decision to just leave it alone.

I'd rather see home brewing than the mass production and mass marketing we have at the moment.

Apparently the process can be explosive or so I read on one of the local news websites.

I'd rather see home brewing than the mass production and mass marketing we have at the moment.

Apparently the process can be explosive or so I read on one of the local news websites.

Batch number two. Four Fat Bastards and some change.

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

± 7 grams Anchor dry yeast (thumbsuck it, but a full 10g pack is definitely not required.)

Bring the chopped up apples and lemon to boil with the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, then turn it off and allow to cool completely

Add the yeast

Leave it to brew in the pot, with the lid on, for about 3 days. (I used a ±20 liter stainless steel pot.)

Sieve contents into a 5 liter container and keep it in a dark place (cupboard) for 3 to 4 days. (It bubbles, so make sure it can still let the CO2 escape without blowing your container and wreaking havoc. So loosely tightened cap.)

I found that after 6 days in total, it was still slightly sweet. The next day it starts to taste dry, and that's about 8 - 9% alcohol by volume. (By my well experienced, subjective, reckoning.)

At this point you can fridge it and stop the fermentation process. I haven't gone further than that. But if I had proper stoppered bottles, I would. Apparently you can add a bit more sugar, then cap it firmly and leave it for a few weeks. But as I don't have those, nor muslin cloth for straining, I'm quite happy with a flat and cloudy cider.

post-523-0-94405100-1587404658_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha ... enjoy it. 

Batch number two. Four Fat Bastards and some change.

Cheers!

It's very simple:
10 apples
4 liters water
3 cups of sugar
2 lemons
± 7 grams Anchor dry yeast (thumbsuck it, but a full 10g pack is definitely not required.)

Bring the chopped up apples and lemon to boil with the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, then turn it off and allow to cool completely

Add the yeast

Leave it to brew in the pot, with the lid on, for about 3 days. (I used a ±20 liter stainless steel pot.)

Sieve contents into a 5 liter container and keep it in a dark place (cupboard) for 3 to 4 days. (It bubbles, so make sure it can still let the CO2 escape without blowing your container and wreaking havoc. So loosely tightened cap.)

I found that after 6 days in total, it was still slightly sweet. The next day it starts to taste dry, and that's about 8 - 9% alcohol by volume. (By my well experienced, subjective, reckoning.)

At this point you can fridge it and stop the fermentation process. I haven't gone further than that. But if I had proper stoppered bottles, I would. Apparently you can add a bit more sugar, then cap it firmly and leave it for a few weeks. But as I don't have those, nor muslin cloth for straining, I'm quite happy with a flat and cloudy cider.