Shimano Launch All-New 12-Speed Deore Groupset

News bot

your argument lost all validity right there lol. There are a few million bicycles on this earth running those altus and turneys....and like 14 or something people running SX/NX  :P 

Vasts majority of the bicycle using people on earth have never even seen SRAM anything, or deore,slx or xtr for that matter. Us middle class moegoes riding bikes recreationally dont even make up a catfart of the percentage of bicycle users on this planet. 

It's all altus and turney for them. Agricultiral yes....but also bulletproof and economical. 

edit: I took a flawlessly working 3x9 Altus groupo off my wifes bike last year after getting her a 1x11 SLX upgrade kit for dirt cheap. Up to that point that thing work flawlessly....actually better than the 11 speed if you consider how finicky shifting can be on 11 speed groupsets. I took off some ancient and vrot 9 speed XTR stuff on her old mans bicycle and plonked that Altus derailleur on there paired with the old XTR shifter...and it works even better now. I'll use that Altus derailleur before SX etc. Point is...that used to be an XTR or something in any case...its just heavier now. it feels like solid steel and is heavy AF....but thats the point on those things.....when the apocalypse is over...cockroaches will be riding Altus and Turney derailleurs on their steel bikes......and transport them in the back of their land cruisers or toyota camry's....

A LOT of the bikes in the SPUR series use Altus and Turney .... and those kids give em a pounding !!  And not many of the kids bikes sees much maintenance .... and these "agricultural" devices just LAST .....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe bundle their PRO branded seatpost and bars into Di2 somehow? Maybe route all the Di2 cables through the bar ala Magura so that it looks like a singlespeed.

Already done on PRO road and mtb stuff. They're on generation 3 Di2 integration now. For road you can buy a bar end cap A junction and coupled with the right PRO bar and stem you see no wires.

It's not truly wireless till you've experienced the power of 5G

lol...the funniest part about reading all those 5G doomsday conspiracists theories regarding the cell towers and the zombie frequency bands is that they probably still don't realise that they have been cruising around in '5g' frequency bands since the first consumer level dual band home wifi router has been available circa early 2000's.

Wonder if my neighbours know i'm blasting them with '5g' every second of the a 24h day haha

Come to think of it.....maybe thats whats wrong with millennials ?  :ph34r: 

Edited by morneS555

13 Speed is already available under Rotor:

https://rotorbike.com/1x13-groupset-mtb/

So unless Shimano or SRAM buys Rotor Bike fr their patent they won't be going there.

Shimano has a patent for 14speed cassettes and SRAM has patents for internal gearboxes.

The nest step for SRAM would have to be lightweight generic internal Gearbox. Shimano's 14 speed patent is going nowhere.

SRAM will introduce a refined mechanical 12 speed MTB groupset. Cheaper cassettes and improved shifter.

Cost reduction of their electronic groups will have to come to the party.

Shimano 12 speed Dura Ace getting some extra refinement time, electronic groupset coming first?

And that is the real future in MTB drive trains, light weight internal gearboxes!

100%. In my mind I will never go Deore anyways as the XO1 on 11 speed I have is in another league. 

For a new person as a entry it might be great and world bending but when you comparing best in class on both brands the entry criteria for me just wont match up. I have had a LOT of issues on XTR 11 speed so personal experience for me was bad even on Shimano's best (Others might have experienced it diffirent) 

Replaced a chain needed new Deraleur wheels as it didnt hold onto the chain, Indexing going out at random and jigwire stretching needing readjustment is just to name a few.

On my XO1 I have not had any of those or any other. I get on, i get pushing and it works with no fail. Oh Buffelsdrift once on the Rocks to crocks my Crankarm became loose but thats not a fail on their part. I just didnt tighten it to spec when I did the service the previous day.

All in all to me when it comes to the high end components SRAM is solid. XTR just gave me endless issues. When looking at mid to lower end I would probably say go for Shimano but then again I dont buy in that range and remember GX was the 1st budget 12 speed and was praised for it and now that there are alternatives years later it magicly became bad. SX and NX should never have been made but neither should Tourney and Altus

I am just sitting here wondering if you are really "Pro-Enough" to be only running the top of the range groupsets and also wonder if any "new person" (Must be a newbie if riding middle range groupo's naturally, because only experienced and pro riders rock on the "good Stuff" at the upper end of the market) has even managed to stick on your wheel for more than 5 seconds because of your massive experience in cycling!

lol...the funniest part about reading all those 5G doomsday conspiracists theories regarding the cell towers and the zombie frequency bands is that they probably still don't realise that they have been cruising around in '5g' frequency bands since the first consumer level dual band home wifi router has been available circa early 2000's.

Wonder if my neighbours know i'm blasting them with '5g' every second of the a 24h day haha

Come to think of it.....maybe thats whats wrong with millennials ?  :ph34r: 

its not so much the lower frequency bands the learned people are concerned with but the veru high frequency's in the microwave range.

Doooomsdayers aren't even concerned about health issues they just hear microwave = Bill Gates mind control frequency

its not so much the lower frequency bands the learned people are concerned with but the veru high frequency's in the microwave range.

Doooomsdayers aren't even concerned about health issues they just hear microwave = Bill Gates mind control frequency

I think the real problem can be attributed to the fact that they have never had those epic flavoured microwave popcorns before. How do they even function in society?? 

edit: off topic...sorry mods

Edited by morneS555

Out of interest, does it really need so many bolts to attach the front chainring???

Ja, what is wrong with 104bcd?

Out of interest, does it really need so many bolts to attach the front chainring???

Those aren't bolts. They're pins, made to look pretty. 

It's a DM crankset, but there's also a "normal" shiomano crank, like the SLX / XT non DM ones. 

The Deore M6100 12-speed crank features a direct-mount chainring and is available for single chainring use, only.

Shimano-Deore-M6100-M5100-M4100-2021-MTB

The cranks feature a direct-mount chainring, but the chainring itself isn’t one-piece, but is rather two-pieces pinned.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-deore-m6100-12-speed/

The top-tier 12-speed Deore M6100 groupset is dedicated to a 1x setup. This is the first time 1x has been officially supported by Shimano at a Deore level.*

The crankset (FC-M6100) is available with 30 or 32t chainrings, though the cranks use the same direct-mount spiderless chainring as all other 12-speed Shimano groupsets, so more options are available. 

Though it looks like the chainrings can be removed from the ‘spider’, these are not designed to be removed, and spares will not be available.

The crankset is available in 170 or 175mm crank lengths and with the following chainline options:

• FC-M6100-1: 52.0mm chainline for 142/148mm standard/Boost hubs. 172mm Q-factor
  • FC-M6120-1: 55.0mm chainline for 148mm Boost hubs. 178mm Q-factor
  • FC-M6130-1: 56.5mm chainline for 157mm SuperBoost hubs. 181mm Q-factor

As expected, Shimano has stuck steadfastly with its longstanding HollowTech II design for the new groupset, and the crankset is only available with a 24mm spindle. 

Interesting tech aside, the new crankset looks great – it has a much more premium feel than the outgoing generation, in our opinion, and the glittery iridescent Deore logo is very handsome. 

*As a caveat to all of this, two non-series Deore-level 12-speed cranksets – the FC-MT610 and FC-MT510 – are also available. We assume these are intended to be used on bikes equipped with SLX and above 12-speed groupsets that are trying to hit a lower price point.

And that is the real future in MTB drive trains, light weight internal gearboxes!

I see light weight - only one option left to chose from: durable or cheap

Which will it be?

Shimano Deore FC-M6100 crankset  $94.99

Shimano Deore M6100 12-speed 10-51 cassette  $91.99

Shimano Deore CN-M6100 12-speed chain   $23.99

Shimano Deore RD-M6100-SGS rear derailleur   $54.99

Shimano Deore FC-M6100 shifter   $31.99  

Full Setup = $297.95 - R5512 odd @ 18.5 exchange rate

No Crank = $202.96 - R3755 odd @ 18.5 exchange rate

Please note this is the distribution price and most likely NOT the price in store as there will still be import duties and markup from your local store

So with a 15% import duty and a 20% markup (If you have a decent local store)

Full Setup = +- R7606 Exc Vat --- R8747 Inc Vat

No Crank = +- R5181 Exc Vat --- R5959 Inc Vat

Chainring not included extra on Full Setup R700 odd

Microspline not included at a extra R2000

Looking at a 8.7k - 12k to go 12 Speed Deore thats if you can do it all yourself and dont need a LBS to do it on your behalf as you would need to tention/feed the Jigwire, fit microspline, fit casette etc etc.

SRAM GX Eagle with Crank and Chainring on RRP comes in at R9000

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/sram-gx-eagle-dub-groupset-1x12

We will have to wait and see the local pricing BUT I can already see it being more expensive than a full GX setup by a long shot

Edited by MTB-More