Shimano Launch All-New 12-Speed Deore Groupset

News bot

Thank you shimano!

Hopefully the 11 speed cassette comes in at a good weight.

The steel chainring is awesome

And deore brakes can not be beat for the money.

i have xt brakes and they feel basically the same.

Wish they would release a wide range 8 or 9 speed group.

I'd be on that like a rash

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From looking at the current price point the cassette would be ($ converted with NO import markup) around the 2k mark... For that price I will stick to my XO1 1x11 speed as the replacement parts cost the same. 

Its a lot cheaper to have 2x chainrings and swap them based on the race type you are doing than to go 12 speed and has been working well for me so will stick with 1x11 as there is nothing wrong with it

From looking at the current price point the cassette would be ($ converted with NO import markup) around the 2k mark... For that price I will stick to my XO1 1x11 speed as the replacement parts cost the same.

Its a lot cheaper to have 2x chainrings and swap them based on the race type you are doing than to go 12 speed and has been working well for me so will stick with 1x11 as there is nothing wrong with it

Makes sense to save a buck or 2. The shifting performance on the new 12 speed however is really something to experience.

Makes sense to save a buck or 2. The shifting performance on the new 12 speed however is really something to experience.

I see Shimano these days like the iPhone crowd. Their fanclub is always out in force about how fantastic it is but in actual facts its just like the rest with new marketing campaine and a fancy new box. At the end of the day its still Shimano and 2 years behind the rest.

SRAM is more the allrounder as their top line XX1, XO1, XO sets dwarf what Shimano has on all fronts and then they open up the market for everyone with their plastic range on SX and XN... 

Like Android does. 

In comparison a 12 speed is just a 12 speed and if you cant get up that hill with the 11, 10, 9 or even 8 speed you have... Train harder, tell your legs to shut up and push though. I bet when its actually released to the public and they start riding with it there will be a host of complaints like with any other budget range. 

Isolated testing is very BIAS depending on how hard the sponsor pushes the "fancy" and currently only 10 ppl realisticly have tested it and gave their sponsored opinions EXACTLY the same that happened when the NX came out. Sponsor reviews cant be trusted.

Edited by MTB-More

I see Shimano these days like the iPhone crowd. Their latest is always out in force about how fantastic it is but in actual facts its just like the rest with new marketing campaine and a fancy new box. At the end of the day its still Shimano and 2 years behind the rest.

SRAM is more the allrounder as their top line XX1, XO1, XO sets dwarf what Shimano has on all fronts and then they open up the market for everyone with their plastic range on SX and XN...

Like Android does.

In comparison a 12 speed is just a 12 speed and if you cant get up that hill with the 11, 10, 9 or even 8 speed you have... Train harder, tell your legs to shut up and push though. I bet when its actually released to the public and they start riding with it there will be a host of complaints like with any other budget range.

Isolated testing is very BIAS depending on how hard the sponsor pushes the "fancy" and currently only 10 ppl realisticly have tested it and gave their sponsored opinions EXACTLY the same that happened when the NX came out. Sponsor reviews cant be trusted.

Sorry, I don’t agree. I’ve got XO and XT. There ain’t 2 years difference!

I read somewhere the hubs run on sealed bearings? Is this the end of cup-and-cone for Shimano?

I see Shimano these days like the iPhone crowd. Their fanclub is always out in force about how fantastic it is but in actual facts its just like the rest with new marketing campaine and a fancy new box. At the end of the day its still Shimano and 2 years behind the rest.

Like Android does.

Yes I agree Shimano was slow to get onto 12 speed. And yes XX1 and XO1 is excellent from SRAM.

I think once you've experienced what it feels like to shift gears under load and doing so effortlessly with the Shimano 12 speed then you'll struggle to convince yourself that they are 2 years behind.

I think you have the brands mixed up though, SRAM = Apple? A new XO1 cassette costs R6000, for that money you can get a new SLX 12 speed shifter, chain, cassette, derailleur and a new microspline hub. The SLX probably has the same or even better shifting.

But in the end it does come down to the legs you are right...can't buy yourself up that hill

I read somewhere the hubs run on sealed bearings? Is this the end of cup-and-cone for Shimano?

Correct

at the Deore level yes. XTR and XT still run on cup and cone

Like Android does.

I'm going to assume that you are an android fan?

Having used SRAM and shimano, and Apple and Android, I reckon the only part of your analogy that holds true is that people are a fan of the one and then prefer that ecosystem.

They have different feels due to the different actuation ratios, and people either prefer the solid direct shifting of sram, or the smooth quiet no fuss shifting of shimano. If you like baking then you'll pick sram, if you want a solid workhorse then it's shimano.

I've run top end of shimano and the top end of sram, and the bottom end of both. At the top end there isn't much between them but personal preference, but I'll never pick SX or NX over deore. Or at all actually. At the bottom end I've had too many issues with sram build quality and the finickyness of their 11speed when setting the indexing. Gone are the easy setup of SRAMs 10spd systems. Even XO1 has had me vloeking next a workstand. Nee dankie.