Is the second hand bike market about to explode?

Markellis

I think loads will get out up for sale. Combination of desperate and those cleaning out cupboards. For both reasons I think the pricing is gonna be waaaay overvalued, added to by the fact that the new parts and bike market is gonna explode...

I wanted to upgrade the dual sus Frame and squishy bits... But I won't now. I'll hold off for at least a year or two for things to settle down before I can drop any cash again on frivolous spending...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was going to be about a rush of bike on to the second hand market from okes having to sell stuff due to the Covid Lockdown / financial needs. 

In the boat and car world there have been people jettesoning kit at some crazy prices to free up cash. I offered guy R35K on a advertised R60K bandit boat and the guy didn't blink... Not that I could actually afford that myself now. Also seen some of the Merc double cabs at massive mark downs. Again, if you had the money now you'd be cleaning up. 

I thought this was going to be about a rush of bike on to the second hand market from okes having to sell stuff due to the Covid Lockdown / financial needs. 

In the boat and car world there have been people jettesoning kit at some crazy prices to free up cash. I offered guy R35K on a advertised R60K bandit boat and the guy didn't blink... Not that I could actually afford that myself now. Also seen some of the Merc double cabs at massive mark downs. Again, if you had the money now you'd be cleaning up. 

You couldn't pay me enough to take one of those Mercs.

But yes, okes with cash reserves are buying up all manner of stuff at cents on the dollar.

But yes, okes with cash reserves are buying up all manner of stuff at cents on the dollar.

Still overpriced compared to the overpriced Navara in drag.

They are all overpriced.

The exchange rate is nailing us.

I foresee a used IDT firesale as soon as the distance restrictions are relaxed...

Pricing will have to be good! Demand has already dropped off if we go by our category views. For the first 7 days of May vs April averages Indoor trainers is one of the few categories that has seen a decline, all others double digit growth.

But winter proper is still around the corner so unless people need the cash, which I think is a reality for many, it’s a useful thing to have.

What’s exciting is the number of people pulling “klunkers” out of their garages to get some fresh air, many with kids in tow. Let’s hope it sticks for at least some and those bikes land up at LBSs to get some love or even upgrades. More people on bikes is a good thing.

They are all overpriced.

The exchange rate is nailing us.

Agreed, but you can't polish out the ugly from the Merc.

I haven't used mine once since level 4 started. But then again, I didn't buy mine just before lockdown, and I didn't spend a 5 figure amount on it.  - I'll hang on to it, it has proven itself useful on the odd occasion. 

I've always had an IDT since 1997 so its part of life. The last 4 years the current unit has been in use on average 3 times per week. Will only sell to make space for a newer unit with newer features. 

I've always had an IDT since 1997 so its part of life. The last 4 years the current unit has been in use on average 3 times per week. Will only sell to make space for a newer unit with newer features. 

mine is also circa 20 years old. Although up until lockdown was not used much, but it got a good thrashing during lockdown, and since I've stored it for so long it will stay, until I can afford a new fancy one.

Hey Tsek man. Pikey has taste. He will humour you with a Spaz saddle.

uuummmm ????

Erm... He actually bought a Spaz, against my advice at the time....

seen the error of my ways ....afterwards ????

Nothing new there then .