Is the second hand bike market about to explode?

Markellis

Congrat's! Epic choice, you'll love it. That's a good jump up from the 110. I've got the carbon Ripmo 1 and it's all the bike I want or need and has saved my butt a few times. With the release of the Ripmo 2 there could be some great deals on some original frames around. Jeez, R68k for an alu frame is getting crazy now, I thought the carbon ones were that price. This time last year the replacement price on a Carbon Ripmo full build with GX eagle, Fox 36 and X2 shock was only R92K

LOL only 92k

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fork has been upgraded and the drivetrain and wheels are also completely different.

edit: Almost looks like a frame purchase with everything "upgraded"

Yeah, but the wheels are a downgrade. Flow vs their Carbon rims. Only upgrade there is code RSC vs Guide R (downgrade bu8t also upgrade) and the fork (lyrik RCT3 vs Pike RCT3)

tough trying to sell a new 2nd hand bike (even in this very mint new condition)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/389867/specialized-stump-jumper

"brand new bike" at R68k

or this

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-stumpjumper-expert-29/p/154544?color=226124-154544

brand new bike at R60k

I think the second hand market is about to implode, not explode. I built a gravel bike 6 weeks ago. Mixture of new and old components, second hand frame. With the current specials at numerous shops, I can buy a brand new bike for 10k less. Same components etc. I just giggle at the prices guys are wanting in the second hand section. Obviously they haven't looked at Spec, Bike Addict, etc etc lately.

Edited by Baracuda

Navara in an ill-fitting onesie more like.

The cabin ergonomics are apparently horrendous because they shoehorned a Merc dashboard and interior into a Navara, and nothing lines up. From what I've heard a Series 1 Defender has a better driving position and instument visibility.

Are there deals going?

Trade in my Ranger?

I think the second hand market is about to implode, not explode. I built a gravel bike 6 weeks ago. Mixture of new and old components, second hand frame. With the current specials at numerous shops, I can buy a brand new bike for 10k less. Same components etc. I just giggle at the prices guys are wanting in the second hand section. Obviously they haven't looked at Spec, Bike Addict, etc etc lately.

agreed, although i guess it depends on what ones' definition of what is meant by 'explosion'.

and i think the other factor is many people are going to be scrounging for ca$h. when there are urgent bills to pay, not much income and 4 bikes in the garage some tough decisions to be made as these are luxury items.

I'm going to start a new business.

bikepawn.co.za

You give me your high end carbon DS "worth" R60k

I make you sign a document and give you r20k.

You give me R25k next month and get your bike

or I put the R60k bike on sale for R40k.

I have seen a steady increase in commuters in the CBD and the Table View to Town loop over recent years.

yes, when I visit the EU colony at the tip of Africa I am always impressed with the amount of commuters.  I generally stay in Seapoint and commute.  COCT definitely try harder than most places.

I spend quite a bit of my work life in Durban and I am sure there are commuters there, but you rarely see them and you'd be taking a massive risk.

LOL only 92k

I know that sounds berserk but I dread to think what that is going to be now. Look, I didn't pay even close to that as I've built up my kit through my last 4 or so bike and got the frame on a close out from the UK which was cheaper than local at RRP to start with and came in cheaper than most local alu frames across multiple brands.

One industry that is going to benefit from the exchange rate is the bike insurance co's as we're all going to have to up our replacement prices and pay out some more premiums. 

yes, when I visit the EU colony at the tip of Africa I am always impressed with the amount of commuters.  I generally stay in Seapoint and commute.  COCT definitely try harder than most places.

I spend quite a bit of my work life in Durban and I am sure there are commuters there, but you rarely see them and you'd be taking a massive risk.

Hit me up when the world is back to "normal" and I can take you around to a couple of good coffee shops before work ... on bicycles :)

It's pretty cool to see how many old bangers are out on the roads. 

My brother , who lives in UK, says there is a problem with all the old 26ers been dusted off and used. None of his LBS have 26" tubes in stock.

It's pretty cool to see how many old bangers are out on the roads. 

OLD BANGERS .... have you seen Duane out cycling on his roadie bike then!

So a question I have, I've built a bike thats totally different from the original thing. Parts very from 2014 - 2019

How do you price for it selling, I feel its unique and lots of time was spent building it so I think it should be XY but the next person might think is its worth XZ because its not new or factory specs.

I need to sell it for my next bike but looking at what some bikes are priced, theres no way I can sell that low.

So a question I have, I've built a bike thats totally different from the original thing. Parts very from 2014 - 2019

How do you price for it selling, I feel its unique and lots of time was spent building it so I think it should be XY but the next person might think is its worth XZ because its not new or factory specs.

I need to sell it for my next bike but looking at what some bikes are priced, theres no way I can sell that low.

bikes are worth what the next guy is gonna pay. You lose tons on upgrades. Rather break it up and sell as bits if they are bling if you want to make money.

Fully agree with you 100%...Ive been hunting for a good entry level 2nd hand bike for 2 months. My comment is based from 1st hand experience in the Entry level Dual sus market. Prices Here, Gumtree, Facebook ridiculously high for 5-10yr old bikes IMO.

As long as there are uninformed buyers with loads of cash, the sellers will take their money  :thumbup:  

Edited by RomP