Is the second hand bike market about to explode?

Markellis

You couldn't pay me enough to take one of those Mercs.

But yes, okes with cash reserves are buying up all manner of stuff at cents on the dollar.

Agree

That is why they were pulled from the market.  Saw one on the road on Wednesday.  Fugly with zero brand equity.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still overpriced compared to the overpriced Navara in drag.

Navara in an ill-fitting onesie more like.

The cabin ergonomics are apparently horrendous because they shoehorned a Merc dashboard and interior into a Navara, and nothing lines up. From what I've heard a Series 1 Defender has a better driving position and instument visibility.

What’s exciting is the number of people pulling “klunkers” out of their garages to get some fresh air, many with kids in tow. Let’s hope it sticks for at least some and those bikes land up at LBSs to get some love or even upgrades. More people on bikes is a good thing.

It's pretty cool to see how many old bangers are out on the roads. I'd really like to see it extend to more people commuting on bikes as well, as has been happening in Europe and metros in the US.

We'll definitely be installing that shower as soon as we possibly can, hopefully we can encourage some folk in our area out of cars and taxis.

was thinking i may pick up some bargains but it appears the reverse. i was out this morning and everyone is out on their 26 skedonks they have dusted off. Gyms closed, Crossfit closed. Unlikely to open soon and even then....

Look at the UK - bikes are the new transport - its not like you are going to willingly get on the London or NY tube. Its already been reported there all dealers are out of stock. We are going to see similar to a lesser degree but 2nd hand market for things like weights, bikes etc about to go stratospheric. Not high end stuff. 

Watch this space as the trails and roads re-open.

It's pretty cool to see how many old bangers are out on the roads. I'd really like to see it extend to more people commuting on bikes as well, as has been happening in Europe and metros in the US.

We'll definitely be installing that shower as soon as we possibly can, hopefully we can encourage some folk in our area out of cars and taxis.

Such a lovely idea commuting, sadly it’s not a reality in most places in SA where infrastructure is lacking and people can buy drivers licenses

Some brave people do it daily here and kudos to them

Such a lovely idea commuting, sadly it’s not a reality in most places in SA where infrastructure is lacking and people can buy drivers licenses

yeah agreed. It takes some dedication to commute, even as an avid cyclist, throw in lack of fitness and experience, plus weather and light, and most people will rather opt for the convenience of motorised transport.

I just picked up the last Ibis Ripmo AF at the old price  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: . Apparently they will go from R58k to R68k because of the current exchange rate. 

BTW. There will be a Pyga 110 available soon during the second hand explosion  :thumbup:

tough trying to sell a new 2nd hand bike (even in this very mint new condition)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/389867/specialized-stump-jumper

"brand new bike" at R68k

or this

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-stumpjumper-expert-29/p/154544?color=226124-154544

brand new bike at R60k

brand new 2nd hand for R8000 more than brand new new.....Aibo :popcorn:

i think the IDT may be the winner after this, don't see many  cyclists going back to gym(well maybe the ones that want to see eye candy :ph34r: ). may even put that money into an home  gym well that"s what i would do. 

Damn I are dissapoint. You think you know a guy... 40 hail Cannondales for you.... Thanks Myles. As you were..

every body hits a low at some point in life where they end up owning a spaz!

I just picked up the last Ibis Ripmo AF at the old price  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: . Apparently they will go from R58k to R68k because of the current exchange rate. 

BTW. There will be a Pyga 110 available soon during the second hand explosion  :thumbup:

Congrat's! Epic choice, you'll love it. That's a good jump up from the 110. I've got the carbon Ripmo 1 and it's all the bike I want or need and has saved my butt a few times. With the release of the Ripmo 2 there could be some great deals on some original frames around. Jeez, R68k for an alu frame is getting crazy now, I thought the carbon ones were that price. This time last year the replacement price on a Carbon Ripmo full build with GX eagle, Fox 36 and X2 shock was only R92K

Edited by T-Bob

I have seen a steady increase in commuters in the CBD and the Table View to Town loop over recent years.

tough trying to sell a new 2nd hand bike (even in this very mint new condition)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/389867/specialized-stump-jumper

"brand new bike" at R68k

or this

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-stumpjumper-expert-29/p/154544?color=226124-154544

brand new bike at R60k

The fork has been upgraded and the drivetrain and wheels are also completely different.

edit: Almost looks like a frame purchase with everything "upgraded"

Edited by Hairy

every body hits a low at some point in life where they end up owning a spaz!

Closest I got was some shoes, and my current saddle.

And the saddle is awesome.