Chris Froome in discussions over a mid-season transfer?

Inhlanzi

The question is do they take him to the tour as a 'thank you' for good service and then what roles does he have? All 3 leaders and the road will decide and potentially weakening the 8 man team if one doesn't play nice. Or do you cut him and send him to the Vuelta and see if that can be a team bonus win this year. Thomas has been training like a demon as has Bernal. Froome has as well but he still hasn't put in any performances since his accident. If anyone has the headspace to come back from such a horrific set of injuries it's Froome but on the pure fact of it, he's totally unproven. It's not just physically but mentally. What if he gets the jips on a hairy descent? Or the TT is a windy one and it's flash back time? Who also has allegiances to whom on the Inoes short list and how will that play out with the 4 available domestiques? Who on the tour short list is maybe looking at jumping ship with Froome? 

Going to be interesting but one thing we know is Brailsford has no room for emotions in his decisions. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is he though?

what is stopping ISN from supporting him? - although if that happened i'd expect Ineos to boot him

i'd prefer him to move right now so that there is no in fighting.

will ultimately lead to a more exciting race

You answered your own queation there..[emoji6]

The question is do they take him to the tour as a 'thank you' for good service and then what roles does he have? All 3 leaders and the road will decide and potentially weakening the 8 man team if one doesn't play nice. Or do you cut him and send him to the Vuelta and see if that can be a team bonus win this year. Thomas has been training like a demon as has Bernal. Froome has as well but he still hasn't put in any performances since his accident. If anyone has the headspace to come back from such a horrific set of injuries it's Froome but on the pure fact of it, he's totally unproven. It's not just physically but mentally. What if he gets the jips on a hairy descent? Or the TT is a windy one and it's flash back time? Who also has allegiances to whom on the Inoes short list and how will that play out with the 4 available domestiques? Who on the tour short list is maybe looking at jumping ship with Froome?

Going to be interesting but one thing we know is Brailsford has no room for emotions in his decisions.

There is no time or money in sentiment..esp not this year..the strongest rider will get the support of the team. Edited by Gen

is he though?

what is stopping ISN from supporting him? - although if that happened i'd expect Ineos to boot him 

It would make more sense for Ineos to keep him for his term, but muzzle him.

Why strengthen your competition. 

Edited by Patchelicious

There's 3 Grand Tours and they have 3 GC winners with Froome leaving. IMO the way the year is shaping up is custom made for Ineos and their depth. 

TDF: Bernal 

Giro: Gee

Vuelta: Carapaz

There's 3 Grand Tours and they have 3 GC winners with Froome leaving. IMO the way the year is shaping up is custom made for Ineos and their depth. 

I reckon it will end up as: 

- TDF Bernal and Gee as the past two winners

- Giro: Carapaz as the defending champ

- Vuelta: Froome and hope he wants to put on a show for the new team and knocks that off giving them the clean sweep for the year. 

And The Cycling Podcast wins the drag race to the line to get the first broadcast on the announcement out. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I reckon it will end up as: 

- TDF Bernal and Gee as the past two winners

- Giro: Carapaz as the defending champ

- Vuelta: Froome and hope he wants to put on a show for the new team and knocks that off giving them the clean sweep for the year. 

That's how I originally had it but I took Froome out coz he's leaving and he's not really a sure bet at this point. But you'd be brave to bet against that guy.

is he though?

ISN supporting him now at this Tour while he is on Ineos? Sorry for the question but is that what you saying?

Swop Gee and Carapaz around. 

is he though?

It can play out two ways.

he gets the support if he earns it and Brailsford is happy to keep the win record within the team even if it means his teams doesn't have the #1 on their back in 2021.

He gets isolated by his team in a similar way to Wiggins as they try to keep the win within Ineos and with riders who are staying.

option two seems more likely . On the flip side perhaps Froome is feeling confident enough to make the announcement now so that he does have allies in ISN if Ineos does ostracize him. 

I wonder with Thomas being the next on the chopping block of older riders wanting a top spot, will he back Froome and hope to get a hand with a new contract when his runs out, or will he succumb to being a super domestique again for the young Columbian?

I wonder with Thomas being the next on the chopping block of older riders wanting a top spot, will he back Froome and hope to get a hand with a new contract when his runs out, or will he succumb to being a super domestique again for the young Columbian?

I dont think Thomas has a issue being a Domestique when required and asked. He will get leadership at 1 of the GT's and share with Bernal and Carapaz. He also gets support at classics. 

Thomas is a solid team mate and does what is required when asked from how I see it and I dont see him moving with Froome to only support Froome.

Edited by J Wakefield

I dont think Thomas has a issue being a Domestique when required and asked. He will get leadership at 1 of the GT's and share with Bernal and Carapaz. He also gets support at classics. 

Thomas is a solid team mate and does what is required when asked from how I see it and I dont see him moving with Froome to only support Froome.

You would know better.

But Thomas seems more "disciplined" or less likely to break orders than Bernal? He seems very ambitious, and ambition can lead to more selfish behavior?

You would know better.

But Thomas seems more "disciplined" or less likely to break orders than Bernal? He seems very ambitious, and ambition can lead to more selfish behavior?

Don't know why you see it that way as history and the facts don't support the view.

He played support to Geraint last year till it was very obvious that Geraint wasn't going to win. In fact Geraint told him to go win if he could. Bernal played the super domestique role till released of his obligation.

Bernal's comments not wanting to give up the opportunity to win it again are normal for a past winner, especially the youngest winner of the tour de france in it's history.

I'm pretty sure that Geraint also has ambitions of winning but his statements will be more in line with a supportive team mate because he's not the defending champion