Chris Froome in discussions over a mid-season transfer?

Inhlanzi

Is this a happy ending? .. the news of the contract non-renewal seems to have arrived before the news of the signing, although this story has been brewing, I see Michelle is the agent.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the team give him a last hoorah, or has the relationship gone sour? Chris is known for his gentlemanly manners, but who knows what has gone on.

Don't know why you see it that way as history and the facts don't support the view.

He played support to Geraint last year till it was very obvious that Geraint wasn't going to win. In fact Geraint told him to go win if he could. Bernal played the super domestique role till released of his obligation.

Bernal's comments not wanting to give up the opportunity to win it again are normal for a past winner, especially the youngest winner of the tour de france in it's history.

I'm pretty sure that Geraint also has ambitions of winning but his statements will be more in line with a supportive team mate because he's not the defending champion

That's why I asked John, as it was not a "fact based" synopsis, nor was it a "view" it was a general question based on youngsters who have tasted victory being more likely to break ranks than seasoned riders who have towed the line for many years.

It was not a criticism of Bernal or Thomas.

John would have a far better feeling of the situation.

Edited by Patchelicious

Will the team give him a last hoorah, or has the relationship gone sour? Chris is known for his gentlemanly manners, but who knows what has gone on.

Pretty sure it comes down to form.

If the relationship has 'soured' it would be a pretty petty thing as Ineos have backed Froome to come back after a pretty horrendous accident.

The fact that he is untested after recovery, form is difficult to gauge, is ageing AND Ineos have a team full of other GT winners with (theoretically) more years left in their careers it seems a no brainer.

I see this in the same light as rugby players seeing out their careers in Japan or Footballers heading to 'Murika.

Past their best, still a few years left, something to prove/won't retire at the top etc... 

Like I said earlier, I hope we see a combative Froomedawg attacking and causing mayhem in the peleton. Maybe a Polkadot jersey hunt.

Either way, I remember a whole lot of speculation as to what he would be like seeing him away from Ineos/Sky, so let's see. 

Pretty rad having Nairo on form and at a small team, Froome in the same boat and a new bread of young racers with little care for the 'peleton rules'..

It's a shake up and the sport needed it

If the relationship has 'soured' it would be a pretty petty thing as Ineos have backed Froome to come back after a pretty horrendous accident.

The fact that he is untested after recovery, form is difficult to gauge, is ageing AND Ineos have a team full of other GT winners with (theoretically) more years left in their careers it seems a no brainer.

I see this in the same light as rugby players seeing out their careers in Japan or Footballers heading to 'Murika.

Past their best, still a few years left, something to prove/won't retire at the top etc...

Like I said earlier, I hope we see a combative Froomedawg attacking and causing mayhem in the peleton. Maybe a Polkadot jersey hunt.

Either way, I remember a whole lot of speculation as to what he would be like seeing him away from Ineos/Sky, so let's see.

Pretty rad having Nairo on form and at a small team, Froome in the same boat and a new bread of young racers with little care for the 'peleton rules'..

Athlete's careers are also only that long.. he gets a new contract elsewhere as Ineos look to build for the future.. and the new team gets exposure because of the signing and possibly a few sponsors jump on board because of it and Froome gets to pedal on for a few more years.

Some will call it a vanity signing but it makes sense for both parties.

Indeed so for Froome this represents his last shot at the win under Ineos. Probably an unlikely win as Brailsford would be foolish to stack the deck in Froomes favour. He'll play it smart and let form chose the leader and that may change as we race through the 3 weeks.

Froome seeing out his career at ISN the best way for him to get the best for himself and he has a strong line up there to support him ( Dan Martin is there isn't he?).

It's also good for Ineos as they can focus on their younger stars and focus on all GT's effectively. Teams as well as riders have to evolve their ambitions and focus on the riders that can meet those ambitions. The problem with the smaller teams is everyone wants to perform well at the tour and they can't spread their effort over all the GT's as they either don't get invited, don't have the depth of talent or don't have the budget

Sky/Ineos sure has been good for Froome, but wow has he delivered.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/christopher-froome/statistics/grand-tour-starts

It would be bad form if either party tainted a stellar partnership with shenanigans this year. (Plus they both lose out if stories of the special sauce get out, so there's incentive to be nice and prevent mutual destruction)

Edited by Shebeen

There will be fall out. I’d guess that Froome would have loved to have stayed at Ineos for the next 2 years on a good contract with all the benefits that a super budgeted team brings to the performance table let alone an astounding line up of riders to support him and a familiar environment.

His biggest rivals will be his former team and they know him inside and out. Strengths and weaknesses.

But they can’t promise him top dog status so time to move on, build a new team around him and see how that goes. I think it takes a good part of the season to get things familiar and even if ISN is throwing cash around to build the team it’s not on the level of Ineos. Sure they will get some good signings in the current economic environment but it’s not the well oiled machine of sky / Ineos quite yet.

If he was a year or two younger then it would be a good move. Who knows what the landscape of pro cycling looks like in the next 12 months with the pandemic still accelerating and the tour still on shaky ground.

Froome Dawg had a stellar career at Sky-Ineos. The team’s legacy is to continue to dominate the biggest cycling event on the calendar.

Their succession plan is solid with the mercurial Bernal. The 1-2 strategy with Bernal and Gee is a solid one.

Don’t think Froomey has the athletic condition to compete at the highest level in a Grand Tour ever again, even if he has the resolve. That crash was so traumatic.

How it all will unfold in the peloton at The Grande Boucle, all to be revealed.

????????????

Edited by 'Dale

You would know better.

But Thomas seems more "disciplined" or less likely to break orders than Bernal? He seems very ambitious, and ambition can lead to more selfish behavior?

Its a really good question and I have thought about this before I made a post. To me Thomas is less likely to go rogue, his whole history has shown he has simply just done the job at any time he is asked to do. Carry bottles, sit in the win and win races. He does it as asked. 

Bernal has also prior paced for hours on the front in the mountains when asked but if you asked me of those 2 who would go rogue to stamp a dominance point I would say Bernal, he is incredibly hungry after last years win and rightfully so.

I also believe he has leadership outright at the Tour regardless of the the Team saying they going with multiple leaders. 

If they take Froome to the Tour (im sure  they will) the pecking order will be Bernal then Thomas then Froome. My reason is this:

1st option: Bernal won last year you cannot not back him. 

2nd option: Thomas was 2nd last year to Bernal and won the year prior to that.

3rd Option: Froome didn't race last year, was 2nd the year prior to Thomas. 

My 2c. 

Its a really good question and I have thought about this before I made a post. To me Thomas is less likely to go rogue, his whole history has shown he has simply just done the job at any time he is asked to do. Carry bottles, sit in the win and win races. He does it as asked. 

Bernal has also prior paced for hours on the front in the mountains when asked but if you asked me of those 2 who would go rogue to stamp a dominance point I would say Bernal, he is incredibly hungry after last years win and rightfully so.

I also believe he has leadership outright at the Tour regardless of the the Team saying they going with multiple leaders. 

If they take Froome to the Tour (im sure  they will) the pecking order will be Bernal then Thomas then Froome. My reason is this:

1st option: Bernal won last year you cannot not back him. 

2nd option: Thomas was 2nd last year to Bernal and won the year prior to that.

3rd Option: Froome didn't race last year, was 2nd the year prior to Thomas. 

My 2c. 

Can't fault the logic.

I suspect Froome, if selected, will go into the race looking to stamp authority on the team in week 1.

Stage 2 already hits the mountains so will be interesting to see how the team dynamics plays out.

Might just be easier if Froome has no form to leave him at home or if he has form to leave him at home and take the PR backlash

Can't fault the logic.

I suspect Froome, if selected, will go into the race looking to stamp authority on the team in week 1.

Stage 2 already hits the mountains so will be interesting to see how the team dynamics plays out.

Might just be easier if Froome has no form to leave him at home or if he has form to leave him at home and take the PR backlash

all I want is the race to happen

I'm not a Froome fan but I do admire the guys BMT.  If he's going to win it can't be the old Sky/Ineos wear them down routine

he's going to need that Giro gear he found and gap his own guys before they will all fall in line

The fact that no-one has been racing is in his favour given his injuries

IF it happens, this has to be one of the best TDF's in theory.  Bernal is rightly the favourite but for the first time in a while, there must be 10 guys in with a realistic shout

Geez I need to see some racing, getting all worked up and excited typing about it whilst working next to the fire