Chris Froome in discussions over a mid-season transfer?

Inhlanzi

*if Froome leaves and goes to ride somewhere else, it kind of would indirectly add to the credibility of his 4 tour wins

Only if he goes somewhere else and dominates like he does at ineos.

Whilst we're on the subject, what kind of program does Arkea-Samsic have that enabled Quintana to suddenly start winning again?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if he goes somewhere else and dominates like he does at ineos.

Whilst we're on the subject, what kind of program does Arkea-Samsic have that enabled Quintana to suddenly start winning again?

Not having that 3 riders all fighting each other in the same team while wrestling with the 'trident'. He seems a rider who needs a clear role as leader. I actually think if he could be in a team of 1, just ride, not let anyone down apart from himself then he'd be the happiest. That is one of the shames about the issues with this season, I was loving seeing him come out of his shell and just ride. 

You'd have think that it's classic manoeuvring to secure a contact and a settle the leadership questions in a very uncertain year. Unfortunately Sky / Ineos have always been pretty immune to riders having little chats with the cycling press to resolve anything. 

If, and that's a big 'if' he were to leave Movistar would have to be one of the stronger teams without leader issues. They have the remnants of their GT super riders in place, always gun for the team prize and with Max Scandri on board now there is a DS that could help another GT win for Froome and Unzue. 

Is' Startup Nation is also being touted but what is their team actually like to support him? Ineos will know everything about how Froome is planning to approach the race and knows the tried n tested way they break a peloton. Could he survive day after day on his own at the pointy end of a stage as well as all the other teams looking eliminate him? 

Another point would be who else in Ineos would be allowed to break contracts mid season and go across with him? Seems a beat up really as there are more downsides than upsides in a season that might not even run.  

If a rider has an expiring contract end of this year, he is free to move during the window as long as a new contract is there from new team. I do not think any rider will get a free pass on a existing contract and to move with a single rider for a maybe result doesn't seem a good move long term. 

If a rider has an expiring contract end of this year, he is free to move during the window as long as a new contract is there from new team. I do not think any rider will get a free pass on a existing contract and to move with a single rider for a maybe result doesn't seem a good move long term. 

I guess the question is "what is considered Long Term?"

Froome probably has  2 more seasons left in him unless he's another Valverde. So would that be long enough to get number 5 at a team were is clear leader.

But that brings another challenge in that he has no one internally to benchmark himself against.

Is that desirable?

4 leaders at Ineos, dont forget Carapaz.

It makes sense from a team perspective to buy all the best GC contenders if you can afford them and are able to mange them on the road.

It means that if they have the four best GC rider, they can race with a plan A B and C, comtingencies for crashes punctures etc. They also effectively have 3 less challengers to contend with.

Edited by Christie

• 3 weeks later...

Just to have the guts to even try and make a comeback after a horrific injury like that is mind boggling. Coming from a medical background I can tell you those were life threatening injuries and Chris should be at a serious disadvantage . Hats off to him for being an inspiration to me and lots of others and it is such a shame that he will in future have to play the political game at the major tours to be the recognised team leader. 

I do imagine it would be beneficial to be the first one in yellow in the team and the rest of the teammates will be forced not to attack. Expect a hectic TDF from the word go - Exciting stuff . Can't wait !!

4 leaders at Ineos, dont forget Carapaz.

It makes sense from a team perspective to buy all the best GC contenders if you can afford them and are able to mange them on the road.

It means that if they have the four best GC rider, they can race with a plan A B and C, comtingencies for crashes punctures etc. They also effectively have 3 less challengers to contend with.

I think it remains to be seen if Carapaz is a true leader. He kinda lucked into that Giro win by Movistars tactical astuteness. I mean he was given some leeway by the peleton as they watched Landa instead.

I think it remains to be seen if Carapaz is a true leader. He kinda lucked into that Giro win by Movistars tactical astuteness. I mean he was given some leeway by the peleton as they watched Landa instead.

Do you think so?

Movistar had been tauting him as the winner of Giro months before it happened. He also won quite a few races leading up to it.

He is a phenomenal bike rider and proved he has the TT and the temperament to go long.

Do you think so?

Yes. I think so. 

Without the Landa foil he wouldn't have won the Giro. He is not in the same climbing league as Froome and Bernal, and not in the same TT league either. Throw a Dumoulin and a couple of Yates's and a Mas into the mix and I think Carapaz is second tier.

(Not to mention an in form Quintana, and determined Landa and a must win Superman Lopez). Oh, I forgot, when Evenepoel and Van Aert come good, Carapaz will for sure look second tier.

Edited by TNT1

And I suspect he will will more likely try and defend his Giro title rather than tackle TDF. All depends on how INEOS weights their participation in the Giro for 2020.

• 1 month later...

So basically they have one leader for the tour and that is Egan Bernal with Geraint playing support.

Froome is already isolated...

Pretty much hey..that's if they even take him to the TDF (things can change fast in the build up to a GT) hope they don't "forget" him and his kit at the hotel before the TT[emoji6] Edited by Gen

So basically they have one leader for the tour and that is Egan Bernal with Geraint playing support.

Froome is already isolated...

is he though?

what is stopping ISN from supporting him? - although if that happened i'd expect Ineos to boot him 

i'd prefer him to move right now so that there is no in fighting. 

will ultimately lead to a more exciting race

Edited by Furbz