Touring bike recommendations and suggestions

NickGM

Some nice suggestions here .

Just an observation from personal experience as the owner of a small bike shop in Prince Albert .

The Swartberg Pass with our without a visit to Die Hel is a very popular destination for mainly international cycling tourists and I make a point of it to talk to those passing through sometimes helping with repairs , spares and accommodation and route advice .

I have seen few bikes valued over 20K . A lot of old faithful 26" bikes that they buy in Jburg or Cape Town and fit them with panniers and water holders .

Point I am trying to make is that us South Africans , and I include myself are sometimes more concerned about the equipment than the journey .

Secondly , we South Africans don't appreciate the bike travel opportunities in our own country .

Stay healthy .

Spot on

Pretty shallow

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation from personal experience as the owner of a small bike shop in Prince Albert .

The Swartberg Pass with our without a visit to Die Hel is a very popular destination for mainly international cycling tourists and I make a point of it to talk to those passing through sometimes helping with repairs , spares and accommodation and route advice .

I have seen few bikes valued over 20K . A lot of old faithful 26" bikes that they buy in Jburg or Cape Town and fit them with panniers and water holders .

Point I am trying to make is that us South Africans , and I include myself are sometimes more concerned about the equipment than the journey .

Secondly , we South Africans don't appreciate the bike travel opportunities in our own country .

Stay healthy .

I hear you, but in my case it is certainly not just another photogenic n+1 bike that I can post on Instagram. This will be replacing my road bike. This was actually inspired by a mountain pass fairly close to you! In my first visit tot he klein karoo I rode seweweekspoort and then discovered that it was one of so many incredible gravel road mountain passes in this region, and most of them are all within a  few hours of each other. Couple that with the fact that I plan to ride a 3 month trans Canadian bike packing trip in June next year - and I need the right tool for the job. I know you weren't having a personal go at me or other contributors on this thread, it was a valid observation. But I still need to assert the fact that I'm not one of those people.

I have a Farr Gravel grinder. It sure ticks alot of the touring bike boxes in terms of comfort, tons of place to mount bottles and bags, and it's cheap.

My only gripe with the bike it tyre clearance. Personally I'd like to run 27.5x2.1 tyres, but it won't have clearance for that. I have seen some people fit 27.5x2.0 tyres - but just just, and they are hard to find. If you are planning on running 700c wheels it can fit up to 45c tyres - if that's your sweetspot it ticks all the boxes.

I'm in Somerset West, so if you wanna take mine for test ride to get a feel for how it rides, give me a shout. I know there are still a few in stock on their website...

Stay healthy .

Can't vote up enough.

I have been riding in NZ, Italy and France over the last couple of years. Most of the XC / Enduro riders buy a Deore / SLX equipped bike with emphasis on good suspension and that is it. They have phenomenal skills and emphasis is on riding hard and charging. Chatting to the guys, they see S-works / XO / XTR etc as something for pros.

Whereas here, guys seem to be obsessed with show pony bikes and to be frank, most don't have the skills to match. 20K is all reasonable, but over 80-100k on gravel bikes??

Edited by Baracuda

I have a Farr Gravel grinder. It sure ticks alot of the touring bike boxes in terms of comfort, tons of place to mount bottles and bags, and it's cheap.

My only gripe with the bike it tyre clearance. Personally I'd like to run 27.5x2.1 tyres, but it won't have clearance for that. I have seen some people fit 27.5x2.0 tyres - but just just, and they are hard to find. If you are planning on running 700c wheels it can fit up to 45c tyres - if that's your sweetspot it ticks all the boxes.

I'm in Somerset West, so if you wanna take mine for test ride to get a feel for how it rides, give me a shout. I know there are still a few in stock on their website...

That's a great offer, thanks! I might be in touch. I've been looking at the FARR frameset because its pretty cheap and I can pick the rest of the parts out myself. 

That's a great offer, thanks! I might be in touch. I've been looking at the FARR frameset because its pretty cheap and I can pick the rest of the parts out myself. 

Any time, just drop me a PM when you want to organise it.

The steel FARR frame is an excellent choice . I did a build project with that frame , 700 X 40 tyres , Lauff fork and it was very very comfortable and stable . And you have the mental assurance that steel don't crack .

Did you verify what size you are looking for?

I have a Cotic Escapade frame and bits sitting around but it's not for big people.

I seem to be missing the point about touring bikes etc. I have done a few long trips Knysna to Ctn 200km+ per day unsupported using the same MTB I did the k2c with so I don't see why there is a need for a specific bike. 

Just pack and ride the damn thing. Backpack and saddlebag is all you need. Unless you are going to be doing 4 month tour, but then everything changes.

Or am I missing something? We are planning a ride to or from Knysna again as soon as this lockdown is lifted.

Did you verify what size you are looking for?

I have a Cotic Escapade frame and bits sitting around but it's not for big people.

I've only ever ridden large frames so I suspect it wouldn't work. Thanks though. 

I seem to be missing the point about touring bikes etc. I have done a few long trips Knysna to Ctn 200km+ per day unsupported using the same MTB I did the k2c with so I don't see why there is a need for a specific bike. 

Just pack and ride the damn thing. Backpack and saddlebag is all you need. Unless you are going to be doing 4 month tour, but then everything changes.

Or am I missing something? We are planning a ride to or from Knysna again as soon as this lockdown is lifted.

While I agree, I also disagree...

Having racks and bags and being able to operate 'on bike' as opposed to 'on back' is really cool.

Much like any hobby, there is no 'right way', there is just the way you do it. If it works for you then rad. 

As a veteran of the Freedom Trail, many many multi day out and backs and trans country trips and a pointy end of the field adventure racer, I like the MTB and backpack option as I can choose routes with portages and river crossings and rad goat paths with no road access.

I have however done some pannier touring in europe and it was very very cool indeed. 

Personally I would tour on a 650b drop bar monster cross if I was building from the ground up.

Bars with as many hand placement options as possible and as Nickgm says, a fairly upright position.

Frame bag, handlebar bag and a dry bag off the seat should get you enough space on bike to carry everything you need plus 2 bottles and a 3L bladder in the bar bag.

A little bike frame as poles tent and sleeping stuff in the frame bag with the food and clothes in the seat bag/mud guard.

Job done.

The steel FARR frame is an excellent choice . I did a build project with that frame , 700 X 40 tyres , Lauff fork and it was very very comfortable and stable . And you have the mental assurance that steel don't crack .

No XL :thumbdown:

Stay healthy .

Agree 100%. Completed a 2 week tour from Riviersonderend into the Klein Karoo which included the Swartberg and Rooiberg passes on a heavy Silverback 26er MTB fitted with rear rack and panniers, I was very happy for the front shock on the descents which were rough and corrugated. A rigid fork would have been hell

I have started using this again after having crashed and trashed a Niner RLT steel and both have some advantages over the other.

The level top tube of a gravel bike gives more space for a frame bag and it had more mounting points for water bottles on the front fork and pannier mounting points on the rear. The relaxed position and being able to get in the drops when into a headwind was useful.

The MTB was just more comfortable and the extra gearing was critical when carrying weight up stuff like Swartberg or Rooiberg. I missed that in the Drakensberg. The front suspension and 2.1 tyres made rutted or corrugated descents much easier after a long day on the bike. Carrying capacity is less and getting aero is hard.

I dunno what is best.

post-50-0-13375800-1589724296_thumb.jpg

I have done a bit of research myself and the i came across the norco Search XR steel apex .Ready for touring out of the box .Steel frame ,tubeless strong tires ,ext .Have a look 

Edited by arendoog