SRAM Eagle Cracked Chain Plates

boesman88

VERY interesting ....

Did a 1x12 upgrade to the TREK in March 2018 .... Went back 3 or 4 times to the LBS with a "ticking sound" ..... eventually was told two teeth were "bent", they litterally bent the teeth "back", and the ticking sound was gone .....

One of the top workshops in Durbanville ....

Now I am wondering at what point SRAM made this recall known to the industry ....

O-well, it was not making a ticking sound when I sold it ... so maybe "better than new" did apply ?  :whistling:   :ph34r:

PS - the 2019 Scott never had this ticking sound .... it had its own set of issues with ultra fine tuning ....

Chris, exactly the same thing here. 2018 Trek with SRAM GX… It goes tick, tick, tick when pedalling in a high gear, particularly going uphill. Only some of the time, not always. Has driven me nearly nuts at times. Now I am wondering…

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, exactly the same thing here. 2018 Trek with SRAM GX… It goes tick, tick, tick when pedalling in a high gear, particularly going uphill. Only some of the time, not always. Has driven me nearly nuts at times. Now I am wondering…

seems a link-by-link inspection is to be done .....  :eek:   :ph34r:

seems a link-by-link inspection is to be done .....  :eek:   :ph34r:

No just check the 16, 18 and 21 tooth sprockets. The problem was mostly on the 18T on the GX cassette. Its a stamped part. SRAM traced the issue to a tooling issue and corrected the tool. High probability of 2018 MY GX equipped bike having the problem cassette.

No just check the 16, 18 and 21 tooth sprockets. The problem was mostly on the 18T on the GX cassette. Its a stamped part. SRAM traced the issue to a tooling issue and corrected the tool. High probability of 2018 MY GX equipped bike having the problem cassette.

Thanks will check but not sure if my eye is sufficiently trained… Unless it is fairly obvious. Will pull the wheel and have a look. Normally I lube my chains link by link (more accurately roller by roller) and haven't picked up anything but wasn't really looking at the chain plates. I think I will take a torch and run my eye over them anyway. The last thing I want to do is have a chain snap when I'm standing up on the pedals – just not worth the risk.

Checked – went over the links one by one with the torch, slow rotation of the crank. Don't pick up anything. Check the cassette, again slow rotation checking the teeth by eye using a torch – again, don't pick up anything. Given that it is intermittent and seems to have gone away now, might be something else. Will keep my ears open…

Could just be a slight misalignment of the derailleur under the sprocket. Possibly tuned out with the barrel adjuster.

the 2 misaligned teeth on affected cassettes were quite obvious to those who know what to look for. Maybe get your lbs to check it over as well

Could just be a slight misalignment of the derailleur under the sprocket. Possibly tuned out with the barrel adjuster.

the 2 misaligned teeth on affected cassettes were quite obvious to those who know what to look for. Maybe get your lbs to check it over as well

I wonder how many other of these types of issues (‘hidden defects’- not cassette specific) exists across the various brands and models that the general public just doesnt know about. Kind of makes me feel like a mushroom.

Anyways, on a positive note, I received my long awaited 4 pot Zee brakes and upgraded rotors yesterday and the new cassette and chain tomorrow. If all goes well I’ll be hitting the trails on Saturday! Cant wait.

I wonder how many other of these types of issues (‘hidden defects’- not cassette specific) exists across the various brands and models that the general public just doesnt know about. Kind of makes me feel like a mushroom.

Our modern vehicles go through many recalls that is done at service time that we don't always know about either. I've even had one on a Hino truck that was essentially a wire bracket and couple of zipties.

Glad you're bike is getting together. Enjoy!

No, a rubber band stretch. A steel chain link does not. I don't care what legs you have and what wattage you push, you don't have enough to stretch even one link. It has been stated already, the measurement appears the chain has stretched by wear between the link-pins and rollers.

I say this to everyone taking part in the discussion. If you want to argue technical points, you have to be technically correct.

Chains lengthen because xyz....

So they stretch. FFS, now you are just nitpicking.

From what I read, SRAM seems to have some quality & specifically tolerance issues. Hambini's opinion of their GX crankset is not suitable for younger viewers.

I also find it interesting that no one's yet referenced the recent Velonews article on chain wear. I found both SRAM & Shimano's responses very unsatisfactory. 

https://www.velonews.com/gear/we-went-to-germany-to-test-the-most-popular-bicycle-chains-heres-what-we-found/

We went to Germany to test the most popular bicycle chains. Here’s what we found:

9-chain-wear-test-time-chart-1920x1080-1

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

No, a rubber band stretch. A steel chain link does not. I don't care what legs you have and what wattage you push, you don't have enough to stretch even one link. It has been stated already, the measurement appears the chain has stretched by wear between the link-pins and rollers.

I say this to everyone taking part in the discussion. If you want to argue technical points, you have to be technically correct.

Okay...

No one claimed a steel chain link stretches. I said the chain stretches. A chain is a system made up of parts. Due to wear the chain (ie: the whole system) increases in length - the definition of stretch.

Technically correct enough for you?

Oh, and if you wanna get really technical - most cyclists do have enough wattage to stretch one link - luckily for us it's a system made up of many links, so yes - no one is going to be stretching the links themselves on a chain - but again, that's not what I said. 

This just annoys me - if you read my previous posts you will know I am very aware that the lengthening of the chain does not occur because of the links themselves stretching. And that's why I use "nitpicking" - why tear a sentence or post apart when you know what someone else is saying? Just seems like a bit of a waste of time no?

Can't believe I actually responded to this again. Unfortunately can't help myself. 

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Okay...

No one claimed a steel chain link stretches. I said the chain stretches. A chain is a system made up of parts. Due to wear the chain (ie: the whole system) increases in length - the definition of stretch.

Technically correct enough for you?

Oh, and if you wanna get really technical - most cyclists do have enough wattage to stretch one link - luckily for us it's a system made up of many links, so yes - no one is going to be stretching the links themselves on a chain - but again, that's not what I said. 

This just annoys me - if you read my previous posts you will know I am very aware that the lengthening of the chain does not occur because of the links themselves stretching. And that's why I use "nitpicking" - why tear a sentence or post apart when you know what someone else is saying? Just seems like a bit of a waste of time no?

Can't believe I actually responded to this again. Unfortunately can't help myself. 

15 years on and we're having the exact same arguments here.

It's nice to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Can't argue with that. History has a way of repeating itself. But let me not get dragged further into this. I'm out (of this thread anyway).

Can't argue with that. History has a way of repeating itself. But let me not get dragged further into this. I'm out (of this thread anyway).

Being Friday today, can we please start a wheels size thread (Oldie, but classic) in order to pull out those old p-leather (Let's appease the Vegans) handbags for a hearty fight!