Races a thing of the past...... for now at least

T_Boss

My GUESS .... we should have a much clearer picture by end July 2020.  And some real answers by end September ....

That is just the eternal optimist in me looking for the "better patterns" in what has already happened in other countries.

In truth, the only thing we KNOW, is that nobody actually knows anything for sure at this stage ...

So as much I would like to do the October MTB ride in Robertson, no ways I am making any early payments ....

impossible to commit....i am sure organisers understand this as well...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So revisions to the gazette state that cycle racing for professional may commence under level 3.

This is open to participants who are paid or derive a living from regional, provincial, national, national or international events that ultimately aim to provide for selection to participate in the Olympic games

Wonder what that means for conclusion of the XCO season

small events...

So revisions to the gazette state that cycle racing for professional may commence under level 3.

This is open to participants who are paid or derive a living from regional, provincial, national, national or international events that ultimately aim to provide for selection to participate in the Olympic games

Wonder what that means for conclusion of the XCO season

Outcome goals mean a lot to the weekend warrior, like a top 100 at a stage race or to finish with the front split in a 3 hr road race. Process goals are important, like staying fit with 10 hrs a week or chasing a hilltop KOM, but just not as sexy.

Nothing much beats the scintillating feeling of reaching a goal with a race rnumber on one's back. Or picking oneself up the next day after failing and heading right back to the drawing board.

Different watts for different folks.

attachicon.gif14A6B014-6368-4831-BCAA-5B231F26DAE7-1.jpg

its so strange seeing others "training" for the non-events...and how do "athletes" keep in form...as we all have said before these are strange times with no end for training outcomes in sight...best not stress the immune systems at this time...its winter....easy gentle rides but have fun..

The participants don't give a **** about anyone else?

Clearly they don't... taking up a full lane through Inchanga / Drummond etc like it was full road closure.

Its just frustration from me, our great cops are quick to jump and single out people in the wrong but none of them spotted this in 35km stretch of road. just BS !

its so strange seeing others "training" for the non-events...and how do "athletes" keep in form...as we all have said before these are strange times with no end for training outcomes in sight...best not stress the immune systems at this time...its winter....easy gentle rides but have fun..

Different strokes for different folks ....

I am almost doing my normal thing, except I avoid the weekend madness on the trails.

A friend that used to base her training around the PE Ironman is having the time of her life  :clap:   Some days is a 10km walk and some "light" (50km+) rides on the trainer.  Other days a 100+km trek around the Peninsula on her bike.  And then the 5+hour sessions on Zwift.  :eek:   She is just thriving on the new normal of doing admin before sunrise and then getting out and exercising, back for some more work, and then a decent workout .....

Then again.  They typically planned their year around TransXariep, Baviaans, Ironman, with a the odd weekend event with friends.  They have won the Baviaans couples a few years back, but mostly they ride for the fun of it.

So not having a specific "event" to peak for has now changed their emphasis to clocking miles and having FUN doing it.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/328443-an-intriguing-format-change-for-mountain-bike-nationals-possible

Interesting discussions around various possibilities for XCO. Getting something like that approved in SA could be a challenge. Have already heard of a case where other sporting bodies reported an organiser for planning a TT format MTB training session (no more than 40 people and athletes starting 5min apart). Even though all regulations would have been adhered to, they had to cancel to avoid penalties and explaining their case in court.

Edited by Foxy_Roxy

There are so many great ways to still do bike events in much smaller groups 

I personally stopped racing MTB a while back and since bought a gravel bike 

Just did an excellent weekend cycling with my gravel bike and it cost me less than an event entry 

As long as I CAN RIDE I am happy

I was meant to be doing 36One in April and then Transbaviaans again in August - both of which have been moved out. More worried about 36One as I am going to be started studying next year which is going to curb my weekly 10-15 hours on top of work... 

So praying here I can get 36One under the belt in November...

This past long weekend, CSA sent out guidelines for the re-opening of events. The guidelines refer more to conferences, concerts, and the like, rather than sport events. I wonder if the risk management section will be actively monitored and signed off, rather than just saying it needs to be completed.

Dear Event Organizers,

Herewith the Event Safety Council re-opening guidelines for your reference.

CyclingSA is engaging with the Department of Sport with regards to the re-opening of events, however no definite start date has been confirmed by the Dept.

We will keep you informed as and when information becomes available.

Regards

I found a copy of the guidelines here, rather than trying to upload a copy.

https://www.capetownetc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Event-Safety-Council-Re-Opening-Guidelines-version-1.pdf

Outdoor sports events with spectator control are fairly easy to do..XCO highest risk would be the tech zone.

from what i understand - once they give the go ahead  for non contact sports events - organisers will apply for the event and have to comply to the extra guidelines on how to handle covid guidelines  iro social distancing , self screening , record keeping and restricting support staff to the bare minimum etc etc. if disaster management and local authority are happy to approve the application then voila - we have an event.

expect the authorities to be extra extra vigilant at at the first few events. 

Edited by Andy Arnesan

from what i understand - once they give the go ahead  for non contact sports events - organisers will apply for the event and have to comply to the extra guidelines on how to handle covid guidelines  iro social distancing , self screening , record keeping and restricting support staff to the bare minimum etc etc. if disaster management and local authority are happy to approve the application then voila - we have an event.

expect the authorities to be extra extra vigilant at at the first few events. 

According to HA Toere which hosts, among others, the Panorama Tour and Mpumalanga tour, said on a FB post that the "extra rules" are about 75 pages and not worth it.