Races a thing of the past...... for now at least

T_Boss

just race your chinas around the local trails. it's more fun anyway. and cheaper. and nobody gets in your way. and there's no issues with route markings. and the short route okes don't interfere with the long route okes. and the goodie bags are not an issue. and did I forget something?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just race your chinas around the local trails. it's more fun anyway. and cheaper. and nobody gets in your way. and there's no issues with route markings. and the short route okes don't interfere with the long route okes. and the goodie bags are not an issue. and did I forget something?

You can only blame yourself if the water table "only has water" and nothing to eat.

There is at least the Racetec Challenge to consider specially for those who are more of an Egan Bernal than a Peter Sagan. 

I doubt we will see any mass participation events in 2020 with the exception of Double Century where the race format lends itself to managing people contact better than others. Anything with a race village and large feeding stations isn't going to work. For now my focus is just on enjoying cycling and still building fitness and strength without the added pressure of focusing on race preparedness. Nice fat base block this is.

Having taken off 2 months, slowly getting back into it now and obviously bad weather starts.

No pressure thought, will take it real chilled for now hoping to hit as much trails as possible. 

Will reassess in August or so weather to start training again.

I just want 2 races to happen this year - RTTS and 947. Other than that will be a bonus morning out. 

Only if there is some Dairyshed carrot cake involved...

would have been a good year... entering Maluti got me going properly this year and my legs are the best they have ever been. Will still be nice to have Shova or 947 happen but thats Covid will still be around so its fun riding for a long time.

Interested to hear the opinions of other hubbers on this.

It would seem some event organisers are still holding out to the bitter end, but realistically, what are the chances of events taking place this year still?

I am pretty bummed over the one mass participation event I was planning to attend, Tour de Tuli, this it isnt a crisis for me, as mass participation events aren't really my thing.

From a business point of view, I see an opportunity for something a little different, as is highlighted here:

https://adventurelogistics.co.za/2020/06/10/stage-races-are-a-thing-of-the-past/

But what are your opinions? Do you think the postponed events will actually take place next year? If they do, what changes are they going to have to make?

The death of stage races has been greatly exagerrated.

There will be events in 2021 for sure.

They will possibly be different to what you're expecting from the past experiences.

The stronger events should survive, the johnny come latelies might sukkel. the ones with big overheads will be sweating for now.

The community volunteer ones are probably the best placed (ie. race2nowhere)

tours/trips/experiences - should be more popular

I am hoping that Double Century still goes ahead in November (as long as we don't have to wear masks while we ride...)

The one day format with self supported feeding stations and no race village may help.

Do they have a new sponsor yet? I believe Coronation ended last year. Not a great time to look for sponsors.

Do they have a new sponsor yet? I believe Coronation ended last year. Not a great time to look for sponsors.

correct and probably why i doubt it'll be going ahead unless they had planned everything with the new sponsors before March already

Still training for the Sani December edition.....

Myself...holding off on pulling the trigger on the entry until next month but I think realistically it’s the only stage race that has potential for this year

The death of stage races has been greatly exagerrated.

There will be events in 2021 for sure.

They will possibly be different to what you're expecting from the past experiences.

The stronger events should survive, the johnny come latelies might sukkel. the ones with big overheads will be sweating for now.

The community volunteer ones are probably the best placed (ie. race2nowhere)

tours/trips/experiences - should be more popular

Yeah I'm expecting a shift back to the smaller events that don't have race villages. I'll be at GreytEscape 2021 for sure. Have a bit of a unfinished business there too

The PedalPower Association will be taking over the financial responsibilities for the event till a new title sponsor is found. This was announced last year already