Races a thing of the past...... for now at least

T_Boss

I must say I'm surprised by the number of posts here indicating that it's hard to keep motivated to train without races?

I am glad races have never had much to do with my motivation to ride

I am absolutely one of those people that need an event as motivation to train. No way I'm getting up on cold & dark winter mornings to train just because I "like cycling".

At the moment I'm training for Karoo2Coast, small part of me will continue to pretend it's going to happen until I see the official announcement that it's been cancelled.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily everyone is different. The world would sure be boring if we all thought the same thing.

Agreed, and I guess my response was a bit harsh.... I might not really do races anymore, but I have personal challenges that I need to keep fit for. Epic solo rides etc. I guess it would be hard to stay motivated if there was no big "event" that one should ideally be fit to enjoy

The Botswana trip is a definite bucket list item

Keep an eye on the hub tomorrow..... There is a little surprise coming along that might just help you tick that from your bucket list.

I will agree to disagree.

If you are a pro team racer or a really dedicated privateer and plan on podium finishes, sure. But for everyone else, I dont think it needs to be all that different. Fitness is fitness, regardless of what the goal is

if you happy with that on this cold Friday, then we will settle with that :thumbup:

First time I got a Frosty badge on Garmin Connect, today, even though I have gone out before when it’s below zero. Today hit -7 in places, and yet the ride was still worth getting up for m. Two hours outside in the cold beats an hour on the trainer in relative warmth.

First time I got a Frosty badge on Garmin Connect, today, even though I have gone out before when it’s below zero. Today hit -7 in places, and yet the ride was still worth getting up for m. Two hours outside in the cold beats an hour on the trainer in relative warmth.

I noticed the same but I recall reading that the latest app update had additional badges...

I noticed the same but I recall reading that the latest app update had additional badges...

The Frosty and Toasty badges have been around for at least 2 years.

I was hoping to get the Toasty on last year (on our Tour to Durban), when it was unbearably hot.

Races are already happening in USA, a bunch schedule(reschedule) for end of summer and fall. My case are all for next year.

Whilst I am not scared I am cautious. I will not be doing any events for the foreseeable future.

I had already entered the 94.7 mountain and road races end of last year. Couple of other races I was quite looking forward to, Nissan Trailseekers  being one series as I missed most of them in 2019 so 2020 was a definite.

But will see what happens and even if races  do go ahead, will personally make a decision closer to the time regarding whether we participate or not.

Have not entered any events this year. Normally commute to work to stay fit. Finding it hard to get up and on the bike this year and finding myself taking the car more than usual.

Also not helping that we short staffed and working our butts off.

And wife has been home and finding things to be done around the house.

As they say no rest for the wicked!!!

Should go for a ride this afternoon.

I was hoping to do the Magoeba trek and the Kremetart this year.

Large number of runners out today between Kloof and Inchanga for the comrades challenge.

"Support" cars all over the place and some water points. No cops in sight, I'd say easily over 250 people in large groups. How is this allowed ?

I must say I'm surprised by the number of posts here indicating that it's hard to keep motivated to train without races?

I am glad races have never had much to do with my motivation to ride

Outcome goals mean a lot to the weekend warrior, like a top 100 at a stage race or to finish with the front split in a 3 hr road race. Process goals are important, like staying fit with 10 hrs a week or chasing a hilltop KOM, but just not as sexy.

Nothing much beats the scintillating feeling of reaching a goal with a race number on one's back. Or picking oneself up the next day after failing and heading right back to the drawing board.

Different watts for different folks.

post-12015-0-98008600-1592151121_thumb.jpg

Edited by 'Dale

Large number of runners out today between Kloof and Inchanga for the comrades challenge.

"Support" cars all over the place and some water points. No cops in sight, I'd say easily over 250 people in large groups. How is this allowed ?

Same for the Camps Bay stretch this morning (race numbers, but no water tables)

So revisions to the gazette state that cycle racing for professional may commence under level 3.

This is open to participants who are paid or derive a living from regional, provincial, national, national or international events that ultimately aim to provide for selection to participate in the Olympic games

Wonder what that means for conclusion of the XCO season