Races a thing of the past...... for now at least

T_Boss

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a rider and (part of) an organising committee, plans are still going ahead, but without spending too much money. Online entries will go live IF the event is allowed, and might only be open for a few weeks.

I like the suggestion to allow day entries if the event is allowed to take place. Limited risk.

A cycle race was previously classified as LOW RISK, but now is HIGH RISK. That means plenty SAPS presence, which comes at a cost.

A Crit race might be a better option, but sadly that also requires the SAPS Risk Classification being done.

Until we know... lots of rides.

Do they have a new sponsor yet? I believe Coronation ended last year. Not a great time to look for sponsors.

From what I understand, there is one lined up but it hasn't been confirmed yet (I wish I knew why).

We should at least have some TT races organised soon, with a seeding it should be relatively safe as we wouldn't be riding in bunches

TTs for the Diesels, Hillclimbs for the featherweights.

Please, someone?

Yeah I'm expecting a shift back to the smaller events that don't have race villages. I'll be at GreytEscape 2021 for sure. Have a bit of a unfinished business there too

That’s a nice event, forgot about it - I did the first one and set my shoes on fire drying them on the fire and falling asleep after a very wet first day - spent the next 2 days with shoes wrapped in duct tape with only cleats sticking out - worked a treat

Realistically I dont think events will be workable during 2020. Even in the summer months.

At least 2/3'rds of the population is expected to contract the virus and if you're not asymptomatic, chances are you'll be pretty darn sick for 2-3 weeks and still have aches and lung issues for a couple of months after. So racing may not be a great idea.

Add to the fact that many of us with elder parents are extremely high risk, I dont see myself participating till the risk of contracting it (or passing it on) are very low. For now, happy to keep riding when I can, zwift a bit more and I've actually started to run a bit. Fitness actually improved during lockdown for me... so goes to show that u can maintain without race prep. Well even if just 90% of it.

I think most underestimate the fallout from the Covid19.

Just because a indication of sponsorship was made before things went to hell doesn’t mean it will still happen now.

EVERYTHING has changed.

I predict racing will be wiped out and we will get back to the core of why we ride.

with our mates.

its going to be impossible for any company to give any form of sponsorship to events on one hand,while short paying or retrenching staff on the other.

How many of the BIG events can carry on with NO big backing.

How many people will renew their PPA membership with no events happening this year?

Heard rumours they already talking about retrenchments themselves.

Forget the racing and just go ride with your mates.

We should at least have some TT races organised soon, with a seeding it should be relatively safe as we wouldn't be riding in bunches

These type of races seem to be the best under the circumstances but unfortunately totally 

financially unviable for anyone to organise.

If you want to satisfy your racing craving, Zwift racing is brilliant. It caters for almost everyone. I haven't done one in a while, but will have to do one again soon since I feel my fitness going stale. 

If you want to satisfy your racing craving, Zwift racing is brilliant. It caters for almost everyone. I haven't done one in a while, but will have to do one again soon since I feel my fitness going stale. 

For sure, loads of events. Coupled with Zpower, and you can easily measure yourself against your mates.

I must say I'm surprised by the number of posts here indicating that it's hard to keep motivated to train without races?

I am glad races have never had much to do with my motivation to ride

riding, and training to prepare for a race is very different...

riding, and training to prepare for a race is very different...

I will agree to disagree.

If you are a pro team racer or a really dedicated privateer and plan on podium finishes, sure. But for everyone else, I dont think it needs to be all that different. Fitness is fitness, regardless of what the goal is

Edited by TBoss1988

I must say I'm surprised by the number of posts here indicating that it's hard to keep motivated to train without races?

I am glad races have never had much to do with my motivation to ride

Luckily everyone is different. The world would sure be boring if we all thought the same thing.