Removing Stuck MTB Pedal

Zama7

When installing Pedals, remember, you don't need to tighten then in JMSP in.

Just lightly tight with the allen wrench or pedal spanner.

Would "JMSP" refer to a peculiarly South African expression then?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an issue arises when its an alu crank arm/thread and steel pedal thread.

Galvanic corrosion is a real issue.

I know loads of pedals have steel thread inserts but not all.

OP, if none of the above methods work, treat yourself to some new cranks and pedals! It's a nice 'essential' upgrade......  :ph34r:

My son learned the hard way on removing pedals. Just before lockdown he tried to remove his new XT pedals from his MTB to fit it on his new Gravel Bike. Did not know what he did but he damaged the allen key part of the pedal. I removed the pedal just to find that the arm is taperred, took a grinder to make two flat spots in order to fit a small pipe wrench. That thing is so tight and the steel on the pedal is much harder that the pipe wrench can not get a grip. Gave up and took it to the LBS, which in turn asked an engineering shop to remove the pedal.

post-13049-0-14748700-1592467914_thumb.jpg

This....................is the important part when installing new pedals..........................

And grease on the thread Will make life alot easier when wanting to remove in future

I think an issue arises when its an alu crank arm/thread and steel pedal thread.

Galvanic corrosion is a real issue.

I know loads of pedals have steel thread inserts but not all.

OP, if none of the above methods work, treat yourself to some new cranks and pedals! It's a nice 'essential' upgrade......  :ph34r:

Yea always apply copaslip to the pedal threads before installing.

And I never torque the pedals either. Just snug with the allen key is all that's required.

Another issue to avoid is cross threading. Its easy to cross thread the crank arm threads with a pedal wrench if you don't get the thread started by hand. 

Then pedal removal becomes a real JMSP effort; knuckle scars from chainring teeth as a reminder

Um are you correct?

To loosen should the allen key not point to the back of the bike?

Left pedal - left hand thread.

Right pedal - right hand thread

This technique always works for me and it may or it may not work for you:

Turn the crank so that the crank arm is pointing almost vertically downwards and the pedal is almost at the lowest point in the stroke. Fit the Allen key into the back of the pedal so that the long arm of the Allen key is horizontal to the ground and pointing forward towards the front of the bike. Put your foot on the long arm of the Allen key (while wearing decent shoes) and step onto it, forcing the long arm of the Allen key downwards.

Um are you correct?

To loosen should the allen key not point to the back of the bike?

Left pedal - left hand thread.

Right pedal - right hand thread

Errmmm...  :whistling:  I think you are right. And to think that I switched pedals around at the beginning of lockdown. Clearly the brain has gone to porridge in the meantime…

Hey Guys

Bought new look pedals on a lockdown special but now I am sitting with a problem. I was able to remove the right pedal easily but the left pedals is stuck. I have tried Q20, boiling water and a few other tips I found online but it is almost impossible to loosen the left pedal. Are there any other tips you guys can recommend ?  

Thanks 

put the alan key in, stand on the pedal and pull up. Easiest way to remove pedals. Works both sides

I’d be willing to give it a proper go if you let me?

Do these pedals still have to work after removal?

Does removal include the threaded part?

How sensitive are you about the use of blunt and/or sheer force around your bike?

How do you feel about the phrases “lightly used” and “Normal scuff marks”

They should be in mint condition once you are done.............

It took me a lot longer than I'd like to admit to decipher that abbreviation.

WTAF? and you from Boksburg :whistling: , that phrase is pretty common there as well. A lot of my work colleagues live in boksburg/kempton and surrounds and phrases like this are common talk.

WTAF? and you from Boksburg :whistling: , that phrase is pretty common there as well. A lot of my work colleagues live in boksburg/kempton and surrounds and phrases like this are common talk.

Dare I say I am wholly mortified at the exorbitant accusatory remarks and frankly disgusting generalizations you are making my good man, for ne'er has this world experienced a creed of distinguished, silver-tongued savants akin to my Boksburgian bretheren...

But ja, I totes should have ******* got that.