Are the Cradle Wars coming.....?

Mojoman

So.... if you don't like drama you need to start at 6:00?

Looks like the majority of issues occur on the road. What is the mtb trail like?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So.... if you don't like drama you need to start at 6:00?

Looks like the majority of issues occur on the road. What is the mtb trail like?

The odd runner, some the wrong way, but nothing like the dodging off all the groups on the road. 

The odd runner, some the wrong way, but nothing like the dodging off all the groups on the road. 

Thanks. Looping at doing the full loop this coming weekend. Don't like drama llamas 

Agreed with all that has been said - the cradle is chaos at the moment.

Rode there yesterday and the number of inconsiderate people abounds. Just after the Lion park circle, there was a group of runners (around 15) running neatly in the cycle lane and being very well behaved. Some chop on a bike refused to move over and when the runners asked politely for him to please give some space, he starts swearing and pulling the middle finger at them. We then rode past him and asked him what his issue was and all he could say is that runners don't belong there and why should he have to share his space etc. What a ch*p.

It's amazing how selfish people are! Don't even get me started on how people ride when they try and sit on the back of your group. Say good morning, stay at the back and don't ride like a tw*t, it's not difficult if you are a decent human being...

People really need to be considerate of others and not just care about themselves. Mark my words, there is going to be a massive fight occurring in the cradle in the next few weeks - it's just getting worse and more and more people are riding...

Don't be a d**s, be lekker!

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Schnavel

Agreed with all that has been said - the cradle is chaos at the moment.

Rode there yesterday and the number of inconsiderate people abounds. Just after the Lion park circle, there was a group of runners (around 15) running neatly in the cycle lane and being very well behaved. Some chop on a bike refused to move over and when the runners asked politely for him to please give some space, he starts sweating and pulling the middle finger at them. We then rode past him and asked him what his issue was and all he could say is that runners don't belong there and why should he have to share the space...

It's amazing how selfish people are! Don't even get me started on how people ride when they try and sit on the back of your group. Say good morning, stay at the back and don't ride like a tw*t.

People really need to be considerate of others and not just care about themselves. Mark my words, there is going to be a massive fight occurring in the cradle in the next few weeks - it's just getting worse and more and more people are riding...

Don't be a d**s, be lekker!

Edit: Spelling

If the runners passed him and he behaved like a chop then he doesn't belong here. 

If you're that slow you shut up and make space for faster moving people.

If the runners passed him and he behaved like a chop then he doesn't belong here. 

If you're that slow you shut up and make space for faster moving people.

They were running towards him, so all he needed to do was move over 0,5m - it really wasn't that difficult...

With the prospects of nice weather the place will be starting to become more hectic in the near future. Now that the cradle has also been identified as a nice runners spot and the amount of people cycling I do see some trouble ahead.

I have also noted the "support" crew increasing, bunches growing in size, more runners and soon there will be no space to ride or drive. Throw into the mix some of the short fuse stressed people out on the road(runners, cyclists and motorists) it will be the last ingredient for trouble...

They were running towards him, so all he needed to do was move over 0,5m - it really wasn't that difficult...

For a moment, i though the runners were running faster than this ch*p cyclist. I was thinking how is it possible for a runner to overtake a cyclist??

But as said, they were running towards him, and agree, he should have moved aside a bit.

I was also considering going to the cradle yesterday, but decided to cycle in my neighbourhood. My neighbourhood also has a increase of walkers and runners. They getting out now with the warmer weather. I move over cos i can see, i am moving much faster than them. It is also courteous. 

I agree with most here, name and shame, post the video, if there is one. 

For a moment, i though the runners were running faster than this ch*p cyclist. I was thinking how is it possible for a runner to overtake a cyclist??

But as said, they were running towards him, and agree, he should have moved aside a bit.

I was also considering going to the cradle yesterday, but decided to cycle in my neighbourhood. My neighbourhood also has a increase of walkers and runners. They getting out now with the warmer weather. I move over cos i can see, i am moving much faster than them. It is also courteous. 

I agree with most here, name and shame, post the video, if there is one. 

This happens a lot more than cyclists tend to admit. I run past people cycling fairly often.

Often the ego's kick in and you notice they accelerate as you pass.

I find on steeper uphills there is a much bigger loss in speed on the bike.

I find on steeper uphills there is a much bigger loss in speed on the bike.

Makes sense. Speed on steeper uphills is almost entirely a function of power to weight ratio regardless of whether you are cycling or running. And the cyclist is lugging an extra 10kg of equipment (bike, helmet, tools, etc.) up the same hill so for the same power output they will be going a bunch slower.

Makes sense. Speed on steeper uphills is almost entirely a function of power to weight ratio regardless of whether you are cycling or running. And the cyclist is lugging an extra 10kg of equipment (bike, helmet, tools, etc.) up the same hill so for the same power output they will be going a bunch slower.

Hahaha 10Kg. LOL, when training for munga it was 28kg more...

Did the loop the last two weekends and agree that it is a mess, especially around Bidon to the section where it splits to the Sterkfontein caves. People riding in groups very inconsiderate towards vehicles and cycling in the middle of the road without giving a crap when vehicles approach. Also came across a group of around four fixing a puncture in the middle of the road.

Many also stop in the middle of the yellow lane do to whatever it is you do when you stop, and then just start off again without consideration of cyclists approaching causing one to have to slow down to avoid an accident.

Each time I arrived around 07:45.

Been chaos at the Craddle!

The Cradle is seen as cyclists turf so as soon as the guys cross over the Lanseria road they are in the safe so they spread out.  I ride in from Broadacres side and as you say there are no issues really on that road but once in the cradle then everyone spreads out etc as you say. I have been saying the first really warm days of spring are going to be mental and it looks like my prophecy is unfortunately going to be true. My plan is to avoid the major routes for about a month until the excitement dies down.

I am looking forward to getting out earlier as the temperature goes up to avoid the traffic which has gone up massively. I also see the amount of new riders have increased massively as well. There will be a drop off i think as gyms re-open and people resume their old ways but given the perceived safety of the cradle its likely to have high traffic for a long time. 

But i do think it's time for there to be a regulating and maybe information body formed by stakeholders like the cycle clubs, coffee shops etc to start to educate and inform users.  Its a bit of a free for all at the moment with the amount of people accessing the facilities overwhelming the capacity at many venues and routes. Justa. little bit of education will go a long way.

I am not sure how to get something like that started but it makes sense to do it now prior to their being (more) injuries and potentially dangerous accidents where people get hurt or killed. It happens every year prior to the Argus and 94.7 that the numbers go up and people arrive there as its pretty good as a training route, and inevitably some get hurt, some badly. This is how the spruit was organised when the same happened. Voluntary contributions? I am happy to contribute as i ride there almost every weekend. You pay for N farm for example....

Things like a Saturday with only cyclists on particular roadfs from 7 to 10 am?

Ort ensuring mass entry events arent arranged (running and cycling) for particular routes i.e. they are off limits. No follow cars. Bunches less than 30 riders in each bunch etc. 

Such as the traffic department, and citizens following the rules of the road? (Which is gazetted - seeing as everyone is studying the government gazette so closely these days)

I do however agree that the exclusive use for cyclists during a certain time is beneficial. However, this is not possible, due to residents, and recreational premises (lion and Rhino, Cradle restaurant ect) requiring access via the roads the cyclists use.

It would be great if the authorities get involved in a educational manner, instead of trying to enforce the law with fines and trying to force authority upon the cycling community.

Sadly, I have not yet come across a law enforcement officer that may be capable of educating the masses.

Edit: I am still avoiding the masses, however, warmer temps mean later starts will be detrimental to my radiator blowing with pm rides.

Edited by RocknRolla