Cleaning your drivetrain

Warrenlee

I just cannot bring myself to get so anal about cleaning a bike.I clean my bikes regularly when they are dirty like I have since I got my first bike at 6.Other things to do with my life than making love to a cluster.

Same

Get it clean and do it effectively, don't worry about 0.2 grams of grease you can still spot on the cassette

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was overrated, overpriced beer?

Philistine!  :whistling:

Im always amazed at how South Africans cant get out of the lager rut.

Philistine!  :whistling:

Im always amazed at how South Africans cant get out of the lager rut.

Just because IPA is stupid and tastes like ass doesn't mean we only drink Lager...

Diesel, what is "IPA"?. I have two ultrasonic cleaners but have never used them for chains – at least not that I can remember.

Indian Pale Ale.  

Duh. :whistling:

Pressure washer. 

I have been doing this for 10-years plus and never had issues.

One just need to know how to spray

Edited by Quagga

SV , one of my mates has one and he said lets try a chain and cassette to see how clean it comes .

I can tell you it is without doubt the BEST I have ever seen a used chain and cassette looking . 15 minutes at about 55 degrees .

It even sounded quieter . Once or twice a year I will certainly take my chain and cassette to him for some true love .

Hi Popit

Yes for sure it’s an effective way to clean your chain.

Problem is chains don’t stay clean for long...unless it’s a shop window bike ????

But it’s still a waste of time IMO, kind of like cleaning your car when you know it’s going to rain in half n hours time.

I don’t like to remove my chain, that just opens the door to chain failure due to not connecting the link properly..... seen it happen a few times to guys who love to remove their chains for cleaning....

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread with a lot of insight. Since day 1 I have used clean green on my current bike. Works well to clean everything, but recently I noticed the chain is battling. Even though it looks clean to the eye, I think there it gunked where on cannot see between links.

I always soak it for about 30min in pure cleen green, then brush it with a nail brush. Clean with hot water then hang to try. Once dried, I put it back on the bike and lube with squirt a day before I ride. Been working well until the last two rides.

Recently noticed chain suck and gears not shifting smoothly. Did the above with cleen green and lubed with smoove. Had the worst shifting experience this weekend ever. Chain is still good as I had chain wear measured just a week ago and it is still fine. Has about 900km's on it.

Think I need to soak it in either petrol or paraffin to get all the gunk out where the eye cannot see, and then dry + lube properly.

For the casette, rear derailleur and chain rings I dilute cleen green 1:2 with water in a spray bottle and spray over the components. Then scrub with a paint brush, tooth brush, rag, nail brush until clean. I bounce the rear wheel on a hard surface after cleaning the casette to ensure the water does not sit and go into the places where it does not belong and mess up bearings/degrease where there is supposed to be grease.

Edited by Wimmas

Lots of shouting in here about “don’t use a pressure washer” and “use a pressure washer” and “nonsense” but nobody actually gives their reasons.

How about we all share with the class?

Lots of shouting in here about “don’t use a pressure washer” and “use a pressure washer” and “nonsense” but nobody actually gives their reasons.

How about we all share with the class?

Have a look at this. It covers a few of the beliefs of pressure washing.

Listen to the Champ. WTH has time or patience to rotate chains, or remove them and boil them in greece?