Cleaning your drivetrain

Warrenlee

Good on you guys I'm impressed by your dedication, I clearly neglect my bikes in comparison!

I'm one of those more riding, less faffing guys i suppose

But you also have a different bike for every day of the month.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you de-grease your 10 Speed MTB chain using a solvent or a detergent it will get the chain nice and clean

BUT

this process will remove the Magic Lubricant that was put inside the chain during the manufacturing process. And the chain will last you 3000 Km Tops  before it starts failing the 0.75 Wear Test.

If you just use an Oily Rag to clean the chain and then apply a Lube from the Bicycle Shop your Chain will last +- 5000 Km before it Starts Failing the 0.75 Wear Test but It will Never Look Very Clean.

Cassette on the other hand  Should be removed from the Wheel and totally De-greased using a solvent or detergent. When Refitting the Cassette a thin layer of grease should be applied to the Free-Wheel body Splines to stop Squeaks and Wear. Chain-rings should cleaned well but do not get any solvents or detergents into the bottom bracket or it will be destroyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I applied lube was just before I gave it to you good

.... and then when you woke up you had solution in hand?

Sjoe. Some guys taking their drivetrains apart to clean it

I just jetwash the each chain link from sides and top, chainring, cassette and pulleys. Blasts all the dirt easily off. No fuss.

For a road bike you don’t need to do this all the time. Maybe just when it needs a service you can take it completely apart. Generally just a degrease every couple of weeks with a chain cleaner and scrub is sufficient. Unless you get caught up in a storm or something.

If you’re going off road though, then it makes sense to completely take apart and clean thoroughly.

That’s a lot of money to spend on a futile exercise.

I get that some like to take the best care of their bikes n bits, but ultra sonic cleaning a bicycle chain is taking it a bit far....imo

SV , one of my mates has one and he said lets try a chain and cassette to see how clean it comes .

I can tell you it is without doubt the BEST I have ever seen a used chain and cassette looking . 15 minutes at about 55 degrees . 

It even sounded quieter . Once or twice a year I will certainly take my chain and cassette to him for some true love .

SV , one of my mates has one and he said lets try a chain and cassette to see how clean it comes .

I can tell you it is without doubt the BEST I have ever seen a used chain and cassette looking . 15 minutes at about 55 degrees . 

It even sounded quieter . Once or twice a year I will certainly take my chain and cassette to him for some true love .

My toppie has one. Easiest way to clean a chain imho.

20% IPA+80% water.

Chain in a ultrasonic cleaning bath gets the 100% IPA treatment. Sprockets too.

Otherwise jus spray the parts with 20/80 mix and clean with a chain brush.

same as for my suspension and brake parts when servicing.

degreaser is fine if you have removed the parts from the bike if not it gets to seals and hardens the seals.

Degreaser into a DT star ratchet makes a mess

Wax requires the use a hard brush or I just keep the sticks from the ice lollies I buy y daughter after school. Those wok well for getting between the sprocket teeth and scraping gunk off the pulley wheels

Diesel, what is "IPA"?. I have two ultrasonic cleaners but have never used them for chains – at least not that I can remember.

If you de-grease your 10 Speed MTB chain using a solvent or a detergent it will get the chain nice and clean

BUT

this process will remove the Magic Lubricant that was put inside the chain during the manufacturing process. And the chain will last you 3000 Km Tops  before it starts failing the 0.75 Wear Test.

If you just use an Oily Rag to clean the chain and then apply a Lube from the Bicycle Shop your Chain will last +- 5000 Km before it Starts Failing the 0.75 Wear Test but It will Never Look Very Clean.

Cassette on the other hand  Should be removed from the Wheel and totally De-greased using a solvent or detergent. When Refitting the Cassette a thin layer of grease should be applied to the Free-Wheel body Splines to stop Squeaks and Wear. Chain-rings should cleaned well but do not get any solvents or detergents into the bottom bracket or it will be destroyed.

My chains look like an oil slick. They last 7500km.

Diesel, what is "IPA"?. I have two ultrasonic cleaners but have never used them for chains – at least not that I can remember.

isopropyl alcohol 

comes in various cures but gerenerally its the highest you can find ( above 70% at minimum ) 

I just cannot bring myself to get so anal about cleaning a bike.I clean my bikes regularly when they are dirty like I have since I got my first bike at 6.Other things to do with my life than making love to a cluster.

isopropyl alcohol 

comes in various cures but gerenerally its the highest you can find ( above 70% at minimum ) 

Thank you.

I usually dip my bike in Paraffin and rinse off with warm water....

In all honesty, I used Clean Green and a nail brush. I spray the CG on the nail brush and scrub the bottom portion of the chain so it cannot drip and seep in to any bearings. I complete the section, rinse well with water, move the pedal so there is a new section of the chain and continue. 

I try and do the same with other parts like cassette and chain ring but I do small portions at a time being very careful not to let the degreaser get in to bearing and seals.