Tiny dog run over by cyclists in Delta Park

DR ◣◢

If they stopped then I will sleep better tonight... While I am a dog owner, I am also dismayed at some dog owner traits, sometimes I even dismay and disappoint myself.

I am also continually dismayed by people in general..... ha!

Ligers.... Vote for Pedro

I hear you about the stopping and all....but maybe they thought it was a cane rat or something?  :ph34r:

post-64325-0-81398600-1597673147_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a dog lover and bike lover and frequenter of said park, my sentiments are as follows:

Dogs should be free to run, no leash.

Children should be free to run, no leash.

Cyclist should not be chops and ride at speed in the close vicinity of dogs and kids. Just common sense.

If a cyclist is going too fast to avoid hitting a dog or child, then the cyclist is going too fast. Period!

Riding a bike is predictable, you have pedals, brakes and steering. Dogs and kids on the other hand are unpredictable. As a cyclist you are in control of a predictable situation, use it to avoid the unpredictable situation i.e. slow down and go around, expect the unexpected, anticipate.

Hitting a dog or child at speed could result in their death. For this reason I would side with the dog owner/parent at all times.

P.S. Bunny hopping dogs, kids and picnic baskets is also not acceptable.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Apologies, there is already LOTS of messages on this thread, has it been confirmed that the dog was in fact not on a leash?  I could not see it in the OP on facebook.  

Apologies, there is already LOTS of messages on this thread, has it been confirmed that the dog was in fact not on a leash?  I could not see it in the OP on facebook.  

I'm still trying to get behind what exactly and where exactly it happened. 

What gets to me is the dog that stops, and just as you are about to go past them they decide its time to play "dash past the front of the wheel". Ive had a few of these encounters and invariably you get the death stare from the walker.... Properly irritating.

If you take your dog for a walk, use a leash. If you absolutely have to let them run free, go to a dog park. That way everyone will be okay.

The question i have is who is liable if the cyclist had fallen and seriously injured themselves??? 

I agree if there is any accident that all parties/animals should be checked on first before you try achieve your next STRAVA KOM.... thats just good manners!!

Edited by Paulst12

I ride Delta park very regularly as well as other park like Alberts and emmarentia...we try our best to avoid dogs. Im an animal lover and have dogs of my own. I was bitten by a staffie off leash in Alberts and after a verbal confrontation with the owner he admitted that his dog is supposed to be on a leash and paid my doctors bills...city bylaws require dogs to be leashed permanently unless in a dog park...bottom line is they are on the wrong side of the law...plain and simple as that...an animal thats running around freely cannot be controlled and becomes a hazard to other park users..whether cyclists or people just walking....

I'm still trying to get behind what exactly and where exactly it happened. 

Also trying to figure this out. There are a few spots that are definitely top of mid though.

In reply to Paul..i agree...if you want your dogs to run take them to a dog park...you not gonna let your kids run in a street are you? As it is we cyclists are getting off the roads due to dangerous drivers...now we have to deal with idiots who cant keep their animals under control in a public space...

Strictly and only legally speaking - how should a cyclist* apologise (if the dog  walker was negligent) so as to not put him in a possible disadvantage / liable position?  (Although the ref is to an American site I believe more or less the same applies in SA?)

*or any party involved in an incident / accident 

Is it not both?

If you see a baby or a small dog don't you slow down as the chances of them running in front of you is high and the damage that you would cause would be severe, sometimes fatal?

Much like we expect cars to respect us, slow down and take a safe wide berth because a car vs a cyclist only has one outcome.

The onus is on EVERYONE to be responsible and aware of their surroundings.

If the dog is off the leash and you still ride by at a thousand kph then you are just asking for trouble, regardless of who is at fault. If you kill the dog/child while it is off it's lead you're still a murderer.

Easily avoidable by just taking responsibility, tutting, shaking your head and then ranting on some facebook page about how dog walkers are scum, instead of giving people ammunition to rant and rave about cyclists being scum..... I dunno?

Bottom line...why cant the dog owner keep their animals leashed as required by law...if go playing with my mountain bike on the N1 highway and get killed must i blame the vehicle. Parks are public spaces yes but with freedom comes responsibility...if you want to use the said park stick to the law and everybody will be fine...a cyclist riding a R100000 mtb has just as much to lose as the dog owner...and it seems dog owners cant understand that their animals are unpredictable..you cant control their actions when off leash...they should be fined uf dogs are loose...i got bitten by a off leash dog which came running at me..owner wasnt close to my path...so im sorry..keep dogs on leash..

Bottom line...why cant the dog owner keep their animals leashed as required by law...if go playing with my mountain bike on the N1 highway and get killed must i blame the vehicle. Parks are public spaces yes but with freedom comes responsibility...if you want to use the said park stick to the law and everybody will be fine...a cyclist riding a R100000 mtb has just as much to lose as the dog owner...and it seems dog owners cant understand that their animals are unpredictable..you cant control their actions when off leash...they should be fined uf dogs are loose...i got bitten by a off leash dog which came running at me..owner wasnt close to my path...so im sorry..keep dogs on leash..

The onus is on us as the rider.

Bottom line, if you're riding and there are pedestrians within a couple metres, you slow right down. Right down. It is just the right thing regardless. 

As you yourself said, with freedom comes responsibility. That works both ways.

Too many people riding the spruit don't want to acknowledge this.

The N1 isn't a shared space though is it? 

More a case of cars buzzing close to you or hitting you when you ride in groenkloof?

I ride the constantia greenbelts a lot on my 20" gravel bike. Its a super fun loop from my house. When I see kids or dogs (often off leash playing together) I just slow down or stop until they are a safe distance away... Practice track standing or take a super wide berth. Doggo's usually only get out once a day so I'm way more happy to see them play and have fun than worry about any delays.

It happens maybe a handful of times a ride and costs me nothing. 

But then I also let people in the traffic, keep a safe following distance and don't speed.

My emphasis on all things is respect and safety for all those around me. Even if they are in the wrong. I would rather be the bigger man/thing and let the doggo/driver/whatever do what they want so we can all get to where we want to go without incident.

But ja, we all see things differently. Laws don't make actions correct. Laws change constantly but my social responsibility stays the same.

Each to their own. I am also really sorry you were bitten. That sucks. I'm glad the owner helped out with your bills and experience. That is a really good outcome to a nasty situation.

since we drifting towards a topic about dog behavior in general, when did we become more tolerant towards dogs off leash bitting people?

if a cyclist gets knocked by a car then we want to get pitch forks out and lynch the driver

however when a dog off a leash attacks a cyclist, runner, kid etc then its "ag shame man, hope you get well soon, glad they paid for your medical treatment"

i still maintain, its shared space and dog owners need to understand that they dont own the entire park.

I still remember a few years back doing a trail run at constantia nek heading towards newlands where this dog came charging and lunging towards my chest. Pushed aside and then when the owner came around he just laughed it off and telling me the dog wanted to play. My response was not so nice.

You wouldnt like it if a stranger just came lunging at you for fun, nor a kid just running up to you and tugging at you whether running, cycling or walking. So why would you think its ok if its a dog?

Much as I think people should self police and rules are never black/white enough to cover loopholes here is one rule I think should be universal:

Most vulnerable has right of way.

In the same way that we don't want cars and trucks to run us over we should be the responsible party when it comes to dogs and children.

If you want a hard core training session stick to areas that are quiet and open or smash the indoor trainer. Trying to use public access paths to ride hard is just irresponsible.

Hi 

I have read all the comments about this. And all points are relevant. I did have a situation when riding the delta were I was following a cyclist who was in a helava rush, when we got to the bridge section by the trail head there was alot of traffic and dog walkers. I knew that just be patient its congested. The cyclist didnt care and pushed fast through  and he  did bump the poor old dog. In that situation we must realise that this section is for everyone and If  I want to to race rather go ride at modders, cradle northers etc were you can ride as fast as you like. That's my 2 cents worth