Sometimes drivers are just trying to do the right thing

The Ouzo

I've tried to make a point of not confronting drivers on my commute unless I can do so calmly.

Last night on the way home, there is this down hill stretch, after the first maybe 100m there is a stop sign that is normally quiet and then a further couple of hundred meters before the road climbs over the highway. So normally I proceed through the stop with caution but try and carry the speed through.

Last night this car comes past me on the first little stretch before the stop, indicator on to turn left. I did not slow down as I was fully expecting him to stop and go straight away, thereby leaving me space.

Except he stopped dead, I braked hard, trying to shift my weight backwards and steer around him at the same time. I probably missed the right corner of his bumper by millimetres. Me swearing into my buff looking him straight into his very wide eyes.

It was only afterwards that I realised he was actually waiting for me to come past on the left before he turned, so he was in actual fact trying to do the right thing. 

I realise this is probably a rehash of past topics, but thought it is pertinent for us to realise that not everyone is acting like an idiot on purpose.

Maybe you should not ride through Stop streets ( and maybe red traffic lights) and rather ride according to the rules of the road, then these near misses might not occur!

Too many cyclists on the road ride like the rules do not apply to them and cause other motorists to regard us as morons.

Maybe you should not ride through Stop streets ( and maybe red traffic lights) and rather ride according to the rules of the road, then these near misses might not occur!

Too many cyclists on the road ride like the rules do not apply to them and cause other motorists to regard us as morons.

Fair point, not going to argue it.

I mostly do stop, but this particular Stop sign is so quiet even the cars generally just slow down for it at that time of the day.

Fair point, not going to argue it.

I mostly do stop, but this particular Stop sign is so quiet even the cars generally just slow down for it at that time of the day.

Quiet until one day...

P P you are 100% correct about obeying the rules of the road . I train every morning through an industrial are (30% ) and residential area (70%) . In the industrial area i obey the rules and use hand signals to let traffic know which way i'm going . In the residual area i tend to slow down at stops streets and traffic lights , sometimes i ride wrong side of the road when crossing and turning into another but this is because there is no or very little traffic . My two pet hates are when i'm approaching a traffic light on red and a car comes past me (1.5m gap ) and then goes right over to the left when they stop and leave very little space to come through and the second one is the car that passes you just before an intersection and turns left in front of me . Cleats make good looking scratches on doors . 

very simple tactic to employ that ensures you do not get catagorised with the morons is to use hand signals. The moment you do that most motorists realise they are dealing with a next level cyclist and will happily conform to your requests.......except booitjies in 4x4 and the odd person oblivious to the world texting and driving

very simple tactic to employ that ensures you do not get catagorised with the morons is to use hand signals. The moment you do that most motorists realise they are dealing with a next level cyclist and will happily conform to your requests.......except booitjies in 4x4 and the odd person oblivious to the world texting and driving

the above and I've also found having lights on, day or night, mostly gets you more space and respect on the roads.

But, I think the point of my post is going missing.

We are often quick to judge others, especially in the heat of the moment, but a little retrospection before confrontation is needed.

Quiet until one day...

Very true.

Its a 3 way stop, most traffic at that time of day is in 2 direction, the left turn goes to a school, so generally only busy during school pickup and drop off hours. And even though I proceed with caution, it just takes one guy coming from the left to skip the Stop on his side for things to get interesting.

Edited by ouzo

the above and I've also found having lights on, day or night, mostly gets you more space and respect on the roads.

But, I think the point of my post is going missing.

We are often quick to judge others, especially in the heat of the moment, but a little retrospection before confrontation is needed.

Indeed.

But I'm sure you knew it would instantly take this turn.

He He. Hub court is in full force today.

Ouzo, good post and hear what you are saying.  We all make mistakes.  I normally try not to overreact when a motorists does something.  Used to just bring it to their attention and most of the times they would actually realise their mistake and apologise and I would leave it there and wave and smile and wish them a good day.  There were however those times when a motorist would go balastic if you would mention to them they made a mistake.

Here in Tshwane  double cab bakkies are worst than the Taxi,s .Especially those Raptor driving idiots .If they are in the building industry they seem to be on their phones permanently 

He He. Hub court is in full force today.

Ouzo, good post and hear what you are saying.  We all make mistakes.  I normally try not to overreact when a motorists does something.  Used to just bring it to their attention and most of the times they would actually realise their mistake and apologise and I would leave it there and wave and smile and wish them a good day.  There were however those times when a motorist would go balastic if you would mention to them they made a mistake.

the once or twice I've tried to have a friendly chat with motorists I got the feeling they didnt understand. 

Thanks ouzo.

If only more people would do the right thing ... including cyclists not cautiously proceeding but actually stopping. ;)