26inch or 29inch for kids

MajG

Need input plz.

I have 3 sons 9,8 and 3.

9 yr old rides on a xs 29er trek x caliber with steeply sloped topbar.

8 yr old ride 26er small avalanche that i had to return to my brother that was on loan.

So i need to purchase another bike.

Do i buy s 29er with same steep sloped topbar or get a medium 26er with same steep sloped topbar.

Yes the 9yr old just about touched his feet on ground while straddled over the bar.Same with 8yr on the 26er.

They both into riding their bmx bikes however they enjoy the odd gravel ride on mtb.

Do i buy another 26er medium or 29er small?

9yr old gets small 29er(a new potential bike)

8yr old gets handed down xs 29er trek

Bear in mind keep the bikes as succession plans for them as they grow, hand me downs.

My concern 26ers are becoming outdated and kids grow so quick, however iknow they be comfier on 26er.

Try to get a 2nd hand Titan 24-9er .... it is a 26" with an extra small frame, very low stand over height.

Exactly the Titans i have been eyeing.

Even a silverback spectra has low standover height.

Saw a kid this weekend that couldn’t have been older than 10/11. Thin a toothpick and hitting the new jumps at Red Barn.

It’s amazing what they can do on a small or extra small frame bike with 29” wheels

Edited by DR ◣◢

Saw a kid this weekend that couldn’t have been older than 10/11. Thin a toothpick and hitting the new jumps at Red Barn.

It’s amazing what they can do on a small or extra small frame bike with 29” wheels

Yeah i saw that myself young kids doing mad ramps, so im trying to expose my boys early on

Your 9 year old rides a niner?!

This needs pictures

Your 9 year old rides a niner?!This needs pictures

post-50002-0-83160500-1603034492_thumb.jpg

Yeah i saw that myself young kids doing mad ramps, so im trying to expose my boys early on

Don't get them a bigger bike. Concentrate 9n their skills development. The gyroscopic effect of larger wheels with groms is far higher than you'd expect, and they'll progress much faster on a smaller bike that they don't have to manhandle.

If you want them to get better at jumping, a BMX or dirt jump bike would be better.

IMO

Edit: I see they have BMX's. A small 26er would be better for them, 29ers aren't the be all and end all.

Edited: that's a flippin small niner ???????????? if you can find the same, then go for it.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Yeah they do all their tricks and jumps on the mongooses they have.

If i find another 29er with that low standover i will take it.

Else a small 26er,as you guys advised its better for them to manage and improve ther skills on a more manageable bike.

Only reason behind 29er now already is from having to fork out cash for new bikes so often as they grow fassssst

Don't get them a bigger bike. Concentrate 9n their skills development. The gyroscopic effect of larger wheels with groms is far higher than you'd expect, and they'll progress much faster on a smaller bike that they don't have to manhandle.

If you want them to get better at jumping, a BMX or dirt jump bike would be better.

IMO

Edit: I see they have BMX's. A small 26er would be better for them, 29ers aren't the be all and end all.

Edited: that's a flippin small niner if you can find the same, then go for it.

One of my son's buddies at age 10 was given a medium 29" Trek hardtail which was way oversized for him, in an attempt to make the bike last longer. He practically needed stilts to get onto it.

Anyways, his dad clears him to go trail riding with us, says no problems - he's well skilled. I was acting as the sweeper in the back, the best seat in the house to see him he fail to turn around the hairpin and I see him gracefully ride off the trail and disappear down the ravine - it must be about 12-15 m deep. I honestly thought I was going to have to make a really awful phone call. I scrambled down and luckily, thick vegetation meant he wasn't going too fast by the time he came off, and although he got covered in grass and leaves and a few scrapes he was OK. 

Long and short of it was that that bike was a bit of death-trap for him, he just did not have the reach, strength and skills to control it - and on another ride just around the suburbs with my son crashed and broke his wrist. So its not impossible that medical bills can outweigh any savings in bike purchases.... 

Yeah they do all their tricks and jumps on the mongooses they have.

If i find another 29er with that low standover i will take it.

Else a small 26er,as you guys advised its better for them to manage and improve ther skills on a more manageable bike.

Only reason behind 29er now already is from having to fork out cash for new bikes so often as they grow fassssst

I have a Kids bike that I ride... It's a 24 or 26 inch dual suss. Kitted out hard.

It would be the perfect bike for your eldest to grow with and develop. It is a Spez, but it is awesome.

post-45765-0-42002700-1598021511_thumb.jpg

Not sure how  much you want to spend though. 

110mm rear travel (feels endless) made for smaller/lighter riders. I have the original 110mm fork as well as I'm running a Fox36.

Tubeless, dropper, 170mm cranks...... 

Try to get a 2nd hand Titan 24-9er .... it is a 26" with an extra small frame, very low stand over height.

Sorry I am being  bit thick here but is that the  Titan 24inch frame with 26inch wheels? 

Your 9 year old rides a niner?!

This needs pictures

Your 9 year old rides a niner?!This needs pictures

yoh, that's circus bike territory for me! *

26ers are still around, if you buy 2nd hand and sell 2nd hand then the cost of upgrade is negligible.

If they become even rarer as is your fear, then you will then have a rare commodity!

26tyres is the only issue then, and they are still more than available

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product-category/components/mtb-parts/mt-tubeless/mt-26-folding/page/3/ if it's too pricey(although on a par with 29er costs) then SWH has a decent chaoyang option at just over R200.

* i might be biased because my 40yr old wife has a 26er that i have no intention of selling. and my almost 8year old but short daughter is fine on her 20" wheeled bike