Murrob

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the bike ?

GLAD you are okay.

I am on that side later this afternoon ... been debating which roads to ride .... time constraints prevent me from doing a Constantia - Chappies - Noordhoek - Silvermine loop.  But the prospect of some of those very narrow sections and afternoon traffic certainly impacted the options !!  Considering doing a section from Lundadno towards Sea Point.  Open to advise from the locals

I need new shifters and bar tape, otherwise all is ok.

I would follow your own advice. That atlantic road has massive shoulders and lots of room to move.

It's a nice climb up suikerbossie and descent into town, then climb out and back.

Starting in Noordhoek means you could throw in chappies. It's always a treat

2 broken metacarpals, 3 cracked ribs, lots of bruised and a heck of a lot of skin to grow back!

But no lasting damage and I can walk and type, so work can be done!

Wow, hope you heal up fast! Thats a lot of damage!! 

It was a little wet out there his morning

I need new shifters and bar tape, otherwise all is ok.

I would follow your own advice. That atlantic road has massive shoulders and lots of room to move.

It's a nice climb up suikerbossie and descent into town, then climb out and back.

Starting in Noordhoek means you could throw in chappies. It's always a treat

My meeting is in Wynberg .... just finishing too late to do loop.  (last week's meeting was in Noordhoek ... must arrange for a follow up inspection)

Think I may just drive to the parking spots above Lundudno and cycle from there.  Probably only get going after 16:00, so afternoon traffic will be a real issue on the narrow roads.  Atlantic road seems the best option, given my time constraints.

But that trail Duane posted ... damn, that music is still ringing in my ears .... MUST go do that trail !!

I experienced a thing today. I crashed my road bike at speed and nearly slid into a car coming up chappies.

They would have dedded me and it would have been entirely my fault for crashing. Luckily that road surface is a cheese grater and I used my skin to stop.

I misjudged speed, corner, road debris, moisture and wham! So quickly one bad decision from me (in this case 'speeding') nearly ruined someone else's life as well as mine.

Thankfully not.

Today I learned that the consequences of speeding in any situation can so quickly go wrong, despite having done that same stretch way way faster a million times before, no matter how in control you think you are, 1 variable can change the game so quickly.

This crash story is useless without some pics... Sorry you crashed - that surface is tres jagged. In fact with all that grip it offers, I'm not sure how you did. Where did it happen?

I misjudged speed, corner, road debris, moisture and wham! So quickly one bad decision from me (in this case 'speeding') nearly ruined someone else's life as well as mine.

It wasn't your fault. Cyclists are never at fault. Please understand this.

Heal up soon.

Sheesh, eina heal well. Road rash always a good reminder that we need to look out for ourselves to ride smart all the time, and not expect others to look out for us

Another suggestion:

1. Drivers stop killing other road users.

That way people will not feel the need to have a follow vehicle, they will not need to ride in massive groups that will always end up 3 abreast, not always on purpose.

This weekend we have a little ride planned and have a follow vehicle, I was never keen on one personally but after seeing the idiotic way drivers pass single file cyclists its a no brainer.

AMEN!

2 broken metacarpals, 3 cracked ribs, lots of bruised and a heck of a lot of skin to grow back!

But no lasting damage and I can walk and type, so work can be done!

vok, glad you're ok. I've often thought about accidents coming down there so it keeps me humble and slow.

But listen 2 metacarpals and 3 cracked ribs is way more than my clavicle.

this isn't a *&^%ing competition neh!! We're supposed to stay in one piece

vok, glad you're ok. I've often thought about accidents coming down there so it keeps me humble and slow.

But listen 2 metacarpals and 3 cracked ribs is way more than my clavicle.

this isn't a *&^%ing competition neh!! We're supposed to stay in one piece

hahahaha yeah...

I was asked if I was going to put away my inner Marc Hirschi and embrace my inner Ilnur Zakarine.....

For a while at least, until the memories fade!

Okayyyyy .... so this thread have been at the back of mind for a few days.  Days with lots of kilometers in the car, and even a good few on the bike on the road.

I dont understand the "us vs them" attitude from the various road users.

We are ALL road users, sometimes as pedestrians, runners, cyclists, motorcycle riders, car or some other vehicle driver.  MOST of us tick multiple of these boxes during any given day ... which makes it even weirder how we put on different hats for the fight of the day .....

As this is a cycling forum it makes sense that these discussions are biased towards cyclists.  And this particular thread was started by a cyclist questioning the behaviour of some cyclists.

And so these thoughts and various replies play through my mind while I am driving to various sites during the day .... And I note that most vehicle drivers are considerate and alert.  Sadly even the very small percentage of zitt-popping, cell phone operating, radio tuning, absent minded drivers meant that I have to take evasive action in my car mutliple times per day !!!  JIP, on the N1 at 110km/h a guy drifts from the mid lane to the left nearly taking out my car while popping a zitt .... few minutes later the cell-obsessed driver tries to do the same ....  Nothing I do in my car or on my bicycle will change their behaviour.

Roads .... As I was planning a route in a new area I was looking for roads with some safe zone for cycling.  Actually sad how many roads do NOT provide a safe zone for cyclists.  Quess we cant complain to much in the Western Cape, at least there is a steady roll out of cycling lanes .... even though we all too often hear of cyclists refusing to use these.  There is only one of these that overlaps my normal cycling routes, and this certainly adds value in our area.  I cant comment on any others, nor why some cyclists refuse to use it ....

The behaviour of cyclists - which is why this thread was started - Each ride I see 1 or 2 "bad examples", but far the majority of cyclists I encounter try to ride safely.  During yesterday's ride I saw maybe 50+ cyclists, and only two examples of "questionable behaviour" ....

Along the section of road from Houtbay towards Suikerbossie, before the start of the yellow lane.  I cycled along the side of the road, with more than enough space for vehicles to pass me safely.  And then I see three gents riding side by side taking up the full width of the road .... NO need to block the road.  NO added safety.  Just selfish behaviour setting a bad example ....

Leaving Campsbay, still between the houses, I was riding to the left.  The road is narrow, but even a big bulky Landy could pass me safely without crossing the white line.  And then he was stuck behind two cyclists riding side by side.  I stayed a bit behind this two for about 1 or 2 km, until the climb started.  This scene played out again and again ....

post-110956-0-06493100-1603287462_thumb.jpg

Nee man, moenie so wees nie .....  :thumbdown:

There are times when we need to ride in the road, I certainly had two or three such instances during yesterday's ride.  Each time I looked back, showed my intention, and each time the drivers made way for me.  

I experienced a thing today. I crashed my road bike at speed and nearly slid into a car coming up chappies.

They would have dedded me and it would have been entirely my fault for crashing. Luckily that road surface is a cheese grater and I used my skin to stop.

Thankfully not.

Today I learned that the consequences of speeding in any situation can so quickly go wrong, despite having done that same stretch way way faster a million times before, no matter how in control you think you are, 1 variable can change the game so quickly.

Its not always cool being the fastest Wookie on the Chaps. Pretty sure it was The Empire Savages who sprinkled some XC90 Death Star debris on the corner... 

giphy.gif

Your skin will grow back, but hows the bar tape? That costs money!!

Glad you are ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Okayyyyy .... so this thread have been at the back of mind for a few days. Days with lots of kilometers in the car, and even a good few on the bike on the road.

I dont understand the "us vs them" attitude from the various road users.

We are ALL road users, sometimes as pedestrians, runners, cyclists, motorcycle riders, car or some other vehicle driver. MOST of us tick multiple of these boxes during any given day ... which makes it even weirder how we put on different hats for the fight of the day .....

As this is a cycling forum it makes sense that these discussions are biased towards cyclists. And this particular thread was started by a cyclist questioning the behaviour of some cyclists.

And so these thoughts and various replies play through my mind while I am driving to various sites during the day .... And I note that most vehicle drivers are considerate and alert. Sadly even the very small percentage of zitt-popping, cell phone operating, radio tuning, absent minded drivers meant that I have to take evasive action in my car mutliple times per day !!! JIP, on the N1 at 110km/h a guy drifts from the mid lane to the left nearly taking out my car while popping a zitt .... few minutes later the cell-obsessed driver tries to do the same .... Nothing I do in my car or on my bicycle will change their behaviour.

Roads .... As I was planning a route in a new area I was looking for roads with some safe zone for cycling. Actually sad how many roads do NOT provide a safe zone for cyclists. Quess we cant complain to much in the Western Cape, at least there is a steady roll out of cycling lanes .... even though we all too often hear of cyclists refusing to use these. There is only one of these that overlaps my normal cycling routes, and this certainly adds value in our area. I cant comment on any others, nor why some cyclists refuse to use it ....

The behaviour of cyclists - which is why this thread was started - Each ride I see 1 or 2 "bad examples", but far the majority of cyclists I encounter try to ride safely. During yesterday's ride I saw maybe 50+ cyclists, and only two examples of "questionable behaviour" ....

Along the section of road from Houtbay towards Suikerbossie, before the start of the yellow lane. I cycled along the side of the road, with more than enough space for vehicles to pass me safely. And then I see three gents riding side by side taking up the full width of the road .... NO need to block the road. NO added safety. Just selfish behaviour setting a bad example ....

Leaving Campsbay, still between the houses, I was riding to the left. The road is narrow, but even a big bulky Landy could pass me safely without crossing the white line. And then he was stuck behind two cyclists riding side by side. I stayed a bit behind this two for about 1 or 2 km, until the climb started. This scene played out again and again ....

attachicon.gifSH-29.jpg

Nee man, moenie so wees nie .....

There are times when we need to ride in the road, I certainly had two or three such instances during yesterday's ride. Each time I looked back, showed my intention, and each time the drivers made way for me.

Sorry, I disagree.

That camps bay stretch of road is not safe for cars to pass without entering the other lane. Have had 2 incidents where cars try overtaking and pull into the cyclists that are single file and drive them into the curb.

We can flog this dead horse for days but it will not change the fact that people are arseholes and nothing will ever change. in fact it will get worse still as people become less and less considerate of others.