Tour de France 2021

gummibear

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah. Rich coming from a sprinter that magically climbs like a mountain goat all of a sudden.

Oh, and I read somewhere that he's a saint cause he posts his strava files. Oooohhhh!

well nothing found to date.

I was just pointing out that the accusation of doping is very easy justification for the authorities to obtain a search warrant. So if you want to establish what your rival is up to just accuse them of doping, the authorities get a search warrant, take all the data and then publish their findings and you have full visibility to their practices. I'd hope that if they are innocent that their Intellectual Property is treated as confidential.

If they're guilty, then we will all hear about the next major coup in the fight against doping. Careers get built on this sort of victory

Edited by DieselnDust

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

well nothing found to date.

I was just pointing out that the accusation of doping is very easy justification for the authorities to obtain a search warrant. So if you want to establish what your rival is up to just accuse them of doping, the authorities get a search warrant, take all the data and then publish their findings and you have full visibility to their practices. I'd hope that if they are innocent that their Intellectual Property is treated as confidential

Yeah, all too often, unbelievable performances have been eventually shown to be exactly that.

14 hours ago, Chris_ said:

Nah dude

Interviewer: So you've basically won the tdf.. Pog - well um, no, not yet really. 

Interviewer: Are you worried about Vin? Pog - who? Laughs uncomfortably, gives a 'do you know how long 5 mins is' look. 

Interviewer: You remember the Rog vs Pog TT, do you think it'll happen with Pog vs Vin? Pog - wtf man?! 

Haha...I also found Pog expression priceless...like wtf have I been doing for last couple of days to cement my lead!

Just now, TNT1 said:

Yeah, all too often, unbelievable performances have been eventually shown to be exactly that.

The operative word being "unbelievable".

Often when one has to question what we believe it is difficult to shift perspective so anything outside of that belief framework is unbelievable. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Sometimes where there's smoke there's just a rave party with a smoke machine'

37 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The operative word being "unbelievable".

Often when one has to question what we believe it is difficult to shift perspective so anything outside of that belief framework is unbelievable. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Sometimes where there's smoke there's just a rave party with a smoke machine'

Unfortunately in cycling, history shows that when there is even a hint of smoke, there is way more fire than expected.

1 minute ago, Chris_ said:

Random thoughts on a bored morning:

Sagz has won the green jersey 7 times (now I know to win this you mostly have to be very consistent) but has 'only' won 12 TdF stages, from 10 tours. So thats ~1 win a tour, and almost a green jersey a tour too!

Cav has won the green jersey no times, has won 34 stages, from 13 tours. ~3 wins a tour, but still not being able to convert into the jersey.

Its incredible the difference between sprinters and how they go about a tour depending on their goals - which on the face of it have always seemed very similar to me, but as it turns out is quite a different game. 

(I'll delete this on Sunday when the old bugger finally wins green...)

Didn't he win Green in 2011?

3 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Random thoughts on a bored morning:

Cav has won the green jersey no times,

(I'll delete this on Sunday when the old bugger finally wins green...)

Delete it now.

More research, less thinking.

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Didn't he win Green in 2011?

I just went by this on procycling stats page

(Sagans one shows green jersey counts in this top results part)

Capture.JPG.7baaf58cd9ce4d9b9d2a6d1c1830a0e2.JPG

I just went by this on procycling stats page

2011[edit]

A number of cyclists are pictured sprinting along a road with a crowd watching them

Cavendish (in the green jersey), being led out by team-mates Matthew Goss and Mark Renshaw on stage fifteen of the 2011 Tour de France.

He won stage five, seven, eleven, fifteen and twenty-one of the Tour de France — bringing his total to twenty career Tour de France stage wins.[36][90][91] He also became the first person to win the final stage three years in succession. Cavendish was docked twenty points for finishing outside the time limit after stage nine and again after eighteen.[92][93] He went on to win the points classification—the first British cyclist to do so.[94][95]

you learn something every day

I think though that Sagan did change the way racing for the green jersey and who raced for the green jersey was seen.

It was really good for the sport as it animated the racing and bigger, faster guys got up the road instead of sitting in the bunch and waiting for the 8 man lead out train to set you up.

I actually think him winning the green jersey LED to the misconception that he is a sprinter.

19 hours ago, Eldron said:

The Danish commentators are saying no more free rides for Carapaz. Or they're saying Ineos will give him free tickets to an amusement park - my Danish is pretty ****.

That said - Ineos have given Poggy many more free rides than Poggy has given Carapaz. Ineos only seem to know one tactic. Thin the herd thin the herd. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: They have secured 3rd place though so fair dues to them.

One the subject of Danish, have you heard how you are meant to pronounce Vingegaard.....it's probably better to say Vinegar.  You'd still be wrong, but would at least be closer than the two commentators.

Danish pronunciation is not the friend of the English speaker they told me when I was there a few years back.

1 minute ago, Andymann said:

One the subject of Danish, have you heard how you are meant to pronounce Vingegaard.....it's probably better to say Vinegar.  You'd still be wrong, but would at least be closer than the two commentators.

Danish pronunciation is not the friend of the English speaker they told me when I was there a few years back.

Johan Bruyneel reckons the proper pronunciation sounds too close to Vinokourov, so he emphasises the to "g's" as hard g's.