Tour de France 2021

gummibear

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Expect a new Cav edition Spez coming out.

The bonusses needs to be paid.

Interesting listening to Mark Renshaw (Cavs old lead out man)  He said the bike has played a significant role in comfort and confidence.  Cav is super happy to be back on a Spez.  Perhaps its a mental thing or maybe even at this level the bike really does make a difference

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, corrie.kuilder said:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-der-poels-early-tour-de-france-exit-not-good-for-cycling-says-eddy-merckx/

Kind of disappointed in MVDP, he is a very talented cyclist, but also found it kind of disrespectful to start a very prestigious and historic tour, only to abandon it after a certain goal was achieved. Have to agree with EM in the article. 

Dont think it was disrespectful 

He made it quite clear what his goals and intentions were.

I cant imagine what the tour would have looked at without MVDP this year animating the first few stages.

Will take a tour with MVDP for a few days than no days. 

Maybe next year we get to watch him the entire tour 

Edited by YaseenEnos

17 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

At nearly 200 kms and more than 4 500 meters ascent, this’ll be a very dramatic day. The GC challenge promises to be very interesting as the mighty Ineos will aim to seize back some control as UAE’s Pogačar is exceptional against the clock with the final time trial looming in the 3rd week. 

I’m keeping an eye on Vingegaard as a new prospect for GC for the team on Bianchis. 

Can the maillot vert make it within the time limit? The Wolfpack will do their best with sticky bottles. ????

corrections corner - he rides a Cervelo

I think that they summit Ventoux a second time before descending could help those that struggle going up as they descend like madmen. we can hope. I would find a Cav win in Carcassonne to be special

2 hours ago, corrie.kuilder said:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-der-poels-early-tour-de-france-exit-not-good-for-cycling-says-eddy-merckx/

Kind of disappointed in MVDP, he is a very talented cyclist, but also found it kind of disrespectful to start a very prestigious and historic tour, only to abandon it after a certain goal was achieved. Have to agree with EM in the article. 

A few mates and other fans have expressed the same. Some have even said he should be barred from entering future events, which is just plain stupid. I'm not on board with this.

MvdP stated before and during the event that his focus is the Olympics and in an Olympic year he isn't the only rider needing to make this choice. The two events are so close to one another riders are pushed into making a choice, it isn't their fault or disrespectful. MvdP also needs to fulfil sponsor obligations to be at the Tour, if he didn't race as he did and take yellow, then people would be accusing him of being disrespectful by not making an effort. 
But no he, Merlier and his Alpecin/Fenix team raced well and animated the event, wore le Tour yellow, honoured his Pou Pou. That's a whole ton of respect and honour to both the team sponsors and le Tour (ASO)
All while still balancing his personal ambitions. Sometimes the sport also needs to respect the athlete. 

You can climb Ventoux from 3 sides and many cyclist do it in a day.  It is one of the challenges many choose to do when cycling that area either on their own, part of an organised group or even a race.  I did it back in 2015.  The climb itself is not difficult if your gearing is right, just a long slog.  Today they are doing the 2 longest climbs with the iconic one used most in races being the last climb.  Cav will be able to do the climbs, it will really depend on the speed of the front guys which will have an effect of the finish time for Cav.  If most of the peloton are resigned to Pod having already won and the rest of the podium maybe waiting till later in the tour to race for their podium position, it could be a relaxed and less animated ascent of Ventoux, which will definitely help Cav to get inside the cut-off time.  For me, there is only one aspect of the race today... Cav making it as really want to see him break the record in Paris in green!! ????

30 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

A few mates and other fans have expressed the same. Some have even said he should be barred from entering future events, which is just plain stupid. I'm not on board with this.

MvdP stated before and during the event that his focus is the Olympics and in an Olympic year he isn't the only rider needing to make this choice. The two events are so close to one another riders are pushed into making a choice, it isn't their fault or disrespectful. MvdP also needs to fulfil sponsor obligations to be at the Tour, if he didn't race as he did and take yellow, then people would be accusing him of being disrespectful by not making an effort. 
But no he, Merlier and his Alpecin/Fenix team raced well and animated the event, wore le Tour yellow, honoured his Pou Pou. That's a whole ton of respect and honour to both the team sponsors and le Tour (ASO)
All while still balancing his personal ambitions. Sometimes the sport also needs to respect the athlete. 

all sports have personalities that when they do well as individuals, the sport does well and gets a higher profile among all that pay attention, and even some that don't. MVDP, WVA, JA are (among) the big three in men's road cycling - when they win, cycling wins. I doubt a MVDP olympic MTB gold will not be as big a deal as his TdF yellow for a few days

as for the sport reciprocating respect, amen to that... a case in point of the female tennis player and her press conference non-preference

3 hours ago, corrie.kuilder said:

No difference to Caleb Ewan leaving the Giro then to rest before the start of TdF when he stated before the start of the Giro that he wouldn't finish as he was seeking stage wins in all 3 GT's.(Oh wait sorry, It was a "knee injury" which forced him out)

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

No difference to Caleb Ewan leaving the Giro then to rest before the start of TdF when he stated before the start of the Giro that he wouldn't finish as he was seeking stage wins in all 3 GT's.(Oh wait sorry, It was a "knee injury" which forced him out)

i admit to my weapons-grade confirmation bias kicking in and being annoyed with Ewan (not a fan) but fully supporting MVDP (i'm part Dutch).

Fact is, it's been done for yonks and my preferences mean zippo to pro riders (thankfully) and who's to say what their circumstances are?

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Merckx sometimes shoots his mouth off hypocritically and illogically. I think he's just disappointed MvdP didn't stick around to take wins off Cavendish. He says he doesn't care about his record falling to Cavendish but he DOES care because even though he hasn't said it directly, he has intimated that he doesn't consider Cavendish wins as real stage wins. As far as Eddy is concerned unless you are winning through making the race, on various types of terrain and then actually finish the tour the wins shouldn't count. There was an interview with him some years ago where he said riders who abandon, their wins should not count and the win should go to the next rider across the line who reaches Paris. I get where he is coming from but that's a debate for another (while opening a new avenue for BikeHub debate longevity) day.

I don't agree with Merckx comments around MvdP disrespecting LeTour by leaving early. As you say he was honest about his intentions. BTW it appears he didn't crack on Stage 8 but decided that his tapering had to start at that point in order to properly recover and prevent illness. His leaving the tour was also with the full blessing of the team , including his teammates so there was no disrespect except for not helping Eddy keep his records

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

I agree with you, but I am sure that Impey won't though. His argument would be that MvdP took a spot, and therefore the dreams of another rider away.

Edited by Patchelicious

Merckx is a complaining old man who can do better by praising, complimentary and encouraging the current generation of stars. He's had his time in the sun and can refresh his view on modern sport. Mathieu has been such an ambassador for the maillot jaune in week 1, embodying the classical values of respect, gentlemanly conduct and, of course, wearing black shorts at times.

24 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Merckx sometimes shoots his mouth off hypocritically and illogically. I think he's just disappointed MvdP didn't stick around to take wins off Cavendish. He says he doesn't care about his record falling to Cavendish but he DOES care because even though he hasn't said it directly, he has intimated that he doesn't consider Cavendish wins as real stage wins. As far as Eddy is concerned unless you are winning through making the race, on various types of terrain and then actually finish the tour the wins shouldn't count. There was an interview with him some years ago where he said riders who abandon wins should not count and the win should go to the next rider across the line who reaches Paris. I get where he is coming from but that's a debate for another (while opening a new avenue for BikeHub debate longevity) day.

I don't agree with Merckx comments around MvdP disrespecting LeTour by leaving early. As you say he was honest about his intentions. BTW it appears he didn't crack on Stage 8 but decided that his tapering had to start at that point in order to properly recover and prevent illness. His leaving the tour was also with the full blessing of the team , including his teammates so there was no disrespect except for not helping Eddy keep his records

Maybe Eddys wins anywhere near his Giro doping ban should be disqualified - then Cav has already beaten his record 

If MdvP planned to ride the entire tour he would have approached it way differently, me thinks.  I think it is unfair to compete with riders who know they must do a 3 week tour and you planning just to do a week.  They must spare themselves whilst you can go harder and be a disrupter because of your mindset of only doing this for a week.

I do not like it, never liked it when a rider pulls out other than with a crash, injury or sickness. 

It should not be tolerated.

9 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

I agree with you, but I am sure that Impey won't though. His argument be that MvdP took a spot, and therefore the dreams of another rider away.

Ja and I can see his reasoning, but then that would only really apply if there was another Alpecin/Fenix rider under consideration. 

10 minutes ago, The Commuter said:

If MdvP planned to ride the entire tour he would have approached it way differently, me thinks.  I think it is unfair to compete with riders who know they must do a 3 week tour and you planning just to do a week.  They must spare themselves whilst you can go harder and be a disrupter because of your mindset of only doing this for a week.

I do not like it, never liked it when a rider pulls out other than with a crash, injury or sickness. 

It should not be tolerated.

Yes riders who do this can go harder in the opening stages, giving themselves a slightly better chance of winning in the opening stages, but they also pull out, completely removing themselves as competition making it much easier for others in the later stages.

Swings and round abouts.

Edited by Patchelicious