Sugary sweets while riding

WaynejG

Seems some okes go out for a ride/race just to eat. I take as little as possible, would rather just eat when I get home afterwards. A race (the normal 100 odd km ones) is 1, maybe 2 bottles if its really hot and like 4 gels and I seem to always have left over. I am there to race, not worry about chowing. Training-I have lost count the amount of times I have left my bottle or food at home and the ride is still on strava.

You always hear the commentators saying the GT okes are eating for tomorrow, I am no GT rider so I eat for today.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems some okes go out for a ride/race just to eat. I take as little as possible, would rather just eat when I get home afterwards. A race (the normal 100 odd km ones) is 1, maybe 2 bottles if its really hot and like 4 gels and I seem to always have left over. I am there to race, not worry about chowing. Training-I have lost count the amount of times I have left my bottle or food at home and the ride is still on strava.

You always hear the commentators saying the GT okes are eating for tomorrow, I am no GT rider so I eat for today.

Hehe I'm like that too.

I'm a firm believer in Racefood Fast Bars...For a 100km / 4hour ride I will take 2 Fast Bars (of which I will eat perhaps 1 1/2 at the most during the ride), 500ml water and 500ml rehidrate and that's it. And a solid breakfast of oats and banana an hour before start. My secret is a 500ml disposable bottle of water to stay hidrated in the pens before the start so you don't touch your race liquid before the start. This has worked wonders for me.   

That company you used to work for makes a bit of money out of me. Man I enjoy nutella, I mix it with plain double cream yoghurt.

If you like Nutella, you must try the Nutella Cruffin's from Red Door in your neighborhood...  It's a basically a Croissant baked in a muffin tin, filled with Nutella, and dusted with sugar on the outside to give it some crunch.  

Do you weigh more after a ride than before?

Lol no! I'm talking about 6-12hour rides like the Mini Mungas. For the odd 3 hour 100km road race just two bottles and one gel. I actually prefer going fasted when doing +-3hr 100km rides when just on training rides.

All I know is when I am done and poegaai,A Bar One and a Coke revs my motor like you wont believe.It is almost instant.But I have to be stuffed.

Seems like I am the crazy one here....... I can eat breakfast of muesli and yogurt before a ride..... After 2:30 of not eating anything I hit the wall so hard that just pedaling becomes a hell of a mission. After 2 hours of riding I have to start taking food/gels on board otherwise I will bonk. I do take coke sometimes but I feel funky afterwards so usually take one bottle coke and one water, and usually finish the water before the coke.

I went through 5 bottles on Saturday on a 125Km, 4h36 ride - it showed 37 on my Lezyne at 11:30.

2 bottles with mix, followed by water in one and a coke/water mix in the other. When I got to coffee I filled the 5th bottle with ice & water. I then had a Coke, as I opted for another 12Km after saying goodbye to my club mates at 113Km.

Anything over 70Km and I'll take two bottles, and fill up if need be - like Saturday.

Wait... Do any of you use 'gels' on race day?

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be 500 different gel options (basically sugar, water and caffeine) if there wasn't some science behind it?

I'm sure everyone many use products with sugar and they don't even know it.

One serving, or one medium ripe banana, provides about 110 calories, 0 gram fat, 1 gram protein, 28 grams carbohydrate, 15 grams sugar (naturally occurring), 3 grams fiber, and 450 mg potassium.

If you enjoyed reading that, have a listen to Guy Raz (How I Built This podcast) interview Gary Erickson (Clif bar founder) in 2016.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/clif-bar-gary-erickson/id1150510297?i=1000376108019

There is another follow up interview during lockdown, where he almost lost his business.

If you like Nutella, you must try the Nutella Cruffin's from Red Door in your neighborhood...  It's a basically a Croissant baked in a muffin tin, filled with Nutella, and dusted with sugar on the outside to give it some crunch.  

Thanks, I will. Driven/ridden passed there many times, never stopped. 

For a long day in the saddle this is my routine:

Proper breakfast 2-3 hours before the ride. (Muesli+banana+yogurt)

Pronutro protein bar 30min before the ride.

In the hour before the ride I drink a 750ml bottle powerbar. And a 750ml bottle around every 1.5 hours on the ride.

On the ride I take a small Ziplock bag mix of droëwors/biltong, cashews and Haribo cherries in my right pocket and I have a small bite of this every 20-30mins. I get tired of one thing on a long ride, so this mix gives me that sweet and salty variety.  

Left pocket a banana and two or three powerbar power gel smoothies.

Around three hours in I'll have the banana. 10-15min before a climb or big effort I'll take a powerbar smoothie.

I also take a few Halls with me to suck on. Makes a warm drink taste a bit better 4 hours later in the sun and makes you feel a bit fresher. 

I can't drink coke on a ride..30mins later I start cramping for some reason.

We did a base miles ride on Friday in the Cape Storms into a headwind. It took a bit longer than planned. From Durbanville to the Cederberg on MTB's and took in Bainskloof, Michells and Gydo passes before venturing into the Cederberg proper.

My total consumption was 2 bottles of water, 1 bottle of energade, Cheddarmelt burger and a beer at 100km and some cashews after Gydo Pass at 130km. Total trip was just over 210km.

So everything is relative, cruising you don't need anything; racing....... well that is another story altogether.

So everything is relative, cruising you don't need anything; racing....... well that is another story altogether.

Yeah absolutely!

Other big factor for me is heat.. I struggle a lot in heat! Add that into the equation and my fluid+electrolyte intake basically doubles.