99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

31 minutes ago, Tjommie said:

So my 99er experience was shortlived 

Started in E having not doing many races other than CTCT and regular Killarney. 

High speed crash at 36km on the R304. Could see the accident about to happen as someone came across my front wheel. The rest I don't remember 

4 of us in the ambulance taken to durbanville medi clinic. 2 fractured collarbone, and hip with bad road rash . I came of the lightest nothing broken but bad bruising. 

The response time of the ambulance was pretty quick 3 -4min 

Our bikes were tagged and taken back  to the  start where a friend collected 

WELL DONEcl   to the organisers for the quick response to an accident. 

Time to recover now and heal, road rash not pleasant at all. My first big accident after many years of cycling. 

Cracked frame and damage but thankful it wasn't worse. 

Why we cycle 

One of our club members also fell in this incident but managed to cycle on

Get well soon Tjommie

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Tjommie said:

So my 99er experience was shortlived 

Started in E having not doing many races other than CTCT and regular Killarney. 

High speed crash at 36km on the R304. Could see the accident about to happen as someone came across my front wheel. The rest I don't remember 

4 of us in the ambulance taken to durbanville medi clinic. 2 fractured collarbone, and hip with bad road rash . I came of the lightest nothing broken but bad bruising. 

The response time of the ambulance was pretty quick 3 -4min 

Our bikes were tagged and taken back  to the  start where a friend collected 

WELL DONEcl   to the organisers for the quick response to an accident. 

Time to recover now and heal, road rash not pleasant at all. My first big accident after many years of cycling. 

Cracked frame and damage but thankful it wasn't worse. 

Why we cycle 

Around 7:00 ?

We came past there at 7:14, by which time the organisers vehicles were parked to direct the cyclists around you.

Two of you were still laying on the ground at the time ...

Chilling to see fellow riders on the ground.

It was at the bottom of a short steep decline ... the speed of the accident must have been very high.

Speedy recovery :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Speedy recovery, mate. I saw the ambulance there as I came past in G group.

I seem to have missed a couple of close scares myself in that first 30km. People have no bunch riding skills the lower down the groups you go which irritates the hell outta me. Just ended up right in the front of the bunch for the rest of the race. Much safe towards the front.

Adderley was scary .....

First part of the race I was the slow one.  Easy to stay far left and keep out the way of the racers. 

Once we joined Adderley the long route riders were passing me slowly.  While we were about 10 to 15km/h faster than the short route riders.  That in itself is fine.

But every so often a rider would just swerve to the right !!  I had to brake sharply more than once, just hoping nobody was sitting on my wheel ..... 

Ironically this is part of the reason I was doing this event ... to get more experience of riding in bunches.  

going to be interesting to see where I seed for CTCT, and what the riders behave like .....

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Adderley was scary .....

First part of the race I was the slow one.  Easy to stay far left and keep out the way of the racers. 

Once we joined Adderley the long route riders were passing me slowly.  While we were about 10 to 15km/h faster than the short route riders.  That in itself is fine.

But every so often a rider would just swerve to the right !!  I had to brake sharply more than once, just hoping nobody was sitting on my wheel ..... 

Ironically this is part of the reason I was doing this event ... to get more experience of riding in bunches.  

going to be interesting to see where I seed for CTCT, and what the riders behave like .....

My advice to you is try and stay as far to the front of the bunch as you can. For the cycletour you can expect even bigger bunches so higher chance of accident.

In saying that though, depending on where you seed plays a huge part. The better your seeding, the more skilled cyclist you’ll have around you so even though the speeds are higher, generally you’ll feel safer because everyone knows what they doing. If you’re towards the back, then obviously you’ll be with cyclists will less skills but at the same times the bunches will be smaller or even none. The guys at the back dont tend to really form bunches for some reason as they ride they own pace. The main issue for me is the guys in the middle as you have a mixture of every one and every skill set. For every great bike handler, you have a poor one next to you. It scares the crap outta me tbh. Nothing worse than crashing when you’ve done nothing wrong.

Thanks

May have been more involved but 4 of us got into the ambulance 

It happened at around 45-46km ph so no time to react 

Just disappointing when your race ends like this,  no control over what happened. 

All the plans for Feb are cancelled now 

4 hours ago, Tjommie said:
4 hours ago, Tjommie said:

All the plans for Feb are cancelled now 

On the positive side then, World Champs is only in March.. LOL

Heal up soon champ 🙏

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

On the positive side then, World Champs is only in March.. LOL

Heal up soon champ 🙏

Thanks 

World champs haha

It will be my 25th so I think it's time to enjoy the atmosphere and day on my mtb  😉

Good morning.

I am the Head Of Operations for the 99er. We are always looking for comments and feedback after our race so we can improve. I was thus wondering where we slipped up? There was definitely Coke, Energade and water at the finish line on Odendaal. Or what are you referring to?

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

18 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

I am the Head Of Operations for the 99er. We are always looking for comments and feedback after our race so we can improve. I was thus wondering where we slipped up? There was definitely Coke, Energade and water at the finish line on Odendaal. Or what are you referring to?

regards,

Nicholas Haupt

I thought it was a really well organised event.

The return leg from Malmsbury got a bit hairy at times with a bunch of groups coming together, opposing traffic having to pull off the road to make way was scary, but the Marshalls did a sterling job of managing the traffic.

23 hours ago, RRIBike said:

Very well organized race, a pity there wasnt coke at the finish line

(apolgies for posting twice. I couldn't figure out how to reply....)

Good morning.

3 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

My apologies if there was coke. I asked the guys at the finish line if there was coke, they said only water and energade. We then headed off to the start line hoping the coke was there but nothing. There was a few guys looking for coke.

14 minutes ago, Kom said:

I thought it was a really well organised event.

The return leg from Malmsbury got a bit hairy at times with a bunch of groups coming together, opposing traffic having to pull off the road to make way was scary, but the Marshalls did a sterling job of managing the traffic.

Thanks for feedback. Yes, I drove 2 loops of the course and saw the same. Traffic and cyclists on a narrow road in race don't mix well! 🙂 However, it did seem that there was a measure of co-operation on this day 

Just now, NicholasH said:

Thanks for feedback. Yes, I drove 2 loops of the course and saw the same. Traffic and cyclists on a narrow road in race don't mix well! 🙂 However, it did seem that there was a measure of co-operation on this day 

Someone needs to test the contents in the water bottles of Group D btw :whistling: (and it seems like certain members of Group A cruising past the elites 😁)

1 minute ago, RRIBike said:

My apologies if there was coke. I asked the guys at the finish line if there was coke, they said only water and energade. We then headed off to the start line hoping the coke was there but nothing. There was a few guys looking for coke.

no worries and apologies for the miscommunication! 🙂 The coke truck was parked on the left just after the left hand turn after the finish line. But, no, we did not provide coke at the race course itself. We had vendors for that. We were more than happy to provide drinks at the actual finish!

15 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Good morning.

Well done on the event - number pick up was quick, nice having some stalls at the end and some shade. 

Coffees, egg rolls and a coke at the end, lekker!

Did have a laugh - someone from the deep South asked for milk alternatives, the alternatives were hot or cold  :P 

4 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Well done on the event - number pick up was quick, nice having some stalls at the end and some shade. 

Coffees, egg rolls and a coke at the end, lekker!

Did have a laugh - someone from the deep South asked for milk alternatives, the alternatives were hot or cold  :P 

Thanks very much! We don't get everything 100% right but we learn from each year and make improvements where we possible. Yeah, vegan avo toast with almond milk will be on the cards for next year 🙂 

Edited by NicholasH